What's new

Future Rifle Owner

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a big 357 fan in revolvers, and lever action 357 is great fun, my brother has a 357 Henry, a wonderful easy pointing gun.

The Henry is a good gun, nothing wrong with them at all! My reason for not buying one over the Rossi was the price. And the Rossi is an exact copy of the Winchester model 92. While the Henry is a totally modern mechanizim made to look like the classic 1873. And the Henry weighs about two pound more than the Model 92. But the finish on the Henry is nicer as well as the stock finish.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Thanks for the awesome reply. I'm glad to have an idea what I might be getting. It's probably just from watching the Rifleman on TV as a kid, and my Daisy's as a kid, but the lever action rifle has always been my dream gun, lol. I ALMOST bought a Henry 22 more than once, but have restrained myself thus far. I figure if I drop money on a 22 I'll kick myself later, and may never buy one in 357. Have just been biding my time til the right deal comes along, I guess.
Thanks again for all the info. You basically did my homework for me!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I'm a big 357 fan in revolvers, and lever action 357 is great fun, my brother has a 357 Henry, a wonderful easy pointing gun.

You guys really got me thinking about lever action rifles! I also like that the Henry is made by US workers. But, I am a hypocrite, as I own 2 Toyota trucks! Wait, the second one was made in Kentucky? I think.

You guys really got me thinking about lever action rifles! I also like that the Henry is made by US workers. But, I am a hypocrite, as I own 2 Toyota trucks! Wait, the second one was made in Kentucky? I think.

I have never seen a Henry, but have 9 Marlin's of various calibers from 22LR to 45-70, and 4 Winchesters. Marlin was bought by Remington a few years back and I understand quality dropped but has been coming back. I do not have a .357, but have a 44 Mag cowboy model, 24" octagon barrel, straight grip, and I added a Marbles tang sight and it's a shooter. The 44 mag in rifle like that is a whole different game from a 44 mag out of a handgun, and I suspect the difference would be similar in .357 rifles vs handguns

My ex brother in law had a .357 Winchester Model 94 at one time and it was a nice gun, and honestly would prefer a Marlin or Winchester, although I know they would be harder to find.

AS far as I'm aware, that lower is only legal if it stays 80%. If it is made 100% build ready it has to be serialized to be legal.

I believe that an 80% lower has no serial number. It's not a complete stripped lower; you have to do some home machining to the incomplete lower to finish it into a "firearm". It's legal to do. If you do that, then complete the lower with a parts kit, then add an upper, you have a completely legal AR without a serial number. BUT: I don't believe you can transfer it to anyone legally, and I don't know why a respectable person would want a non-serialized rifle anyway.

Buying a stripped lower, adding a parts kit, then adding an upper and add-ons can be a satisfying home-build experience. And it's not that difficult. You do need to get some tools (punches, vise, a magazine block, etc.), so it's not cost-effective compared to buying a complete lower or complete rifle. I have one that I built that way for about $500 with iron sights.

My advice would be to buy a complete rifle. You can get one off the shelf and still have several hundred dollars to add things like a good inexpensive red dot and decent furniture and still be under $1000. Until you know what exactly you want in an AR (bolt carrier group, optics, furniture, etc.), you'll end up spending money on things you want to upgrade later anyway. So I wouldn't go full custom the first time around. Then when you know what you want, you can sell your first rifle and go crazy if you want to. An off-the-shelf rifle holds its value better than something you built yourself.

One of my Marlin's is a 336 SC in 35 Rem that was my father's first rifle.

35 Rem is a nice brush hunting cartridge. Heavy and slow.

I had 3 rifles in that cal at one time (Remington pump, Remington auto loader, and the 336 Marlin lever).

Now I have boxes of 35 rem but nothing chambered for that round.

Maybe not at the federal level but in Hawaii everything needs to be registered and everything needs a permit to acquire as well.

Well, I don't want to get into an area where I will be breaking any rules here, but I am reasonably certain that is unconstitutional.

I apologize and will delete this post if I have broken any rules saying that.

Ya, its a PITA living in CA. Trying to comply with laws sometimes because more headache than its worth than to own certain firearms. One of the reasons I want to move out of this state.

But my point was mainly to the OP that be sure to find out what the laws are where he lives.

On a side note to everyone else, I also own a Marlin 336c in 30-30. I find myself actually using my lever action more than any of the AR's I have. The AR's are damm fun to shoot too though. Just really depends on what your using this rifle for.

Your much better off buying a complete rifle, then adding to it as you see fit. Colt ARs can be had for a good price, so I would start there. Also, regardless of how you proceed, buy some mags and ammo.

I have a few lever actions rifles and carbines. I have 3 model 94s, including an NRA Centennial model. I also have a Marlin 30-30.

My neighbor has several Henrys and the action on all of them is about a million times smoother and faster than the Winchesters.

My Marlin ( Carbine) gets a little action as it's a great brush gun, but 90% of the time if I am rifle hunting it's late in the season and I am meat hunting with the BAR.

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
The OP wishes the thread closed as it has gone off track from the original intent of the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom