What's new

Fence posts debate - concrete or gravel?

Gravel or concrete for setting a wooden post

• Concrete for the barrier

• Gravel to let it breathe

• Other

• This is a thing?

Results are only viewable after voting.
To be perfectly honest, I didn't even know this was a debate until I started researching today about how deep I need to set my first wooden fence post. I had assumed concrete, started reading and thought "I know a place where cans of worms can be opened without resorting to fisticuffs.

What say you experienced gardeners and landscapers and contractors?

Last edited:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I have not heard of using fence posts with gravy for domestic use.

When I was a wee lad, I worked on a farm for a few years and done a bit of fencing. The posts are held in place with rammed dirt. If done right it is surprisingly sturdy.
Now I also worked in the building industry for a few years and concrete was used. With that said we removed houses and the very old houses did not have concrete holding their piles in......but they did have uneven floors...go figure.

How tall is your fence and what sort of strain will it be under? If high with high wind resistance I would go concrete. If low then if it has been done and is cheaper/easier I may be tempted to try the gravy.
Does your research state why gravel over concrete. Is this a greenie type choice or other practical reasons?

Concrete if you want it to stay. And the holes need to be at least as deep as the frostline where you live. It's 30" in Missouri so I'm guessing at least 3' in Philly. I dig them 3' regardless.

I've used concrete in the corner posts and gravel for intermediate posts, because we planned to eventually relocate the fence.

Soil conditions. A lot of loam/sand/etc, use concrete. Clay, then use gravel or compact clay back in to the hole. A tall privacy fence with a serious wind load I would concrete no matter what.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
You didn't say Gravy was an option. I would choose gravy.:001_smile

Woops. I was setting up some specifications at work that require 30% gravy to meat ratio at the same time.
But if you use my wife's gravy it will set like concrete when cold, so use that instead. :w00t:

Last edited:
Woops. I was setting up some specifications at work that require 30% gravy to meat ratio at the same time.
But if you use my wife's gravy it will set like concrete when cold, so use that instead. :w00t:

I sure hope for your sake she doesn't read this!

I've always used concrete, so it's good to see that everyone else has, too.

What are the fence posts made of?
If steel, I would use concrete, because if you replace a post it will probably pull the concrete up with it and save you the bother of excavating it.
If wood, I would use rammed earth. If you pull the post, gravel would probably all slump down into the hole, and it would be a big production digging it out.

Then again, I've never owned or built a fence.

I voted gravel.

When I worked for the Wisconsin DNR as an LTE, we put up A LOT of fences, and we just tamped earth in around the post. To add rigidity if we needed it, a few rocks went in, as well. Concrete has permanence, but it might be a permanence you may later regret.

Think about the fence, where its going, and what might happen in the future when you make your final call.

Don

I have not heard of using fence posts with gravy for domestic use.

How tall is your fence and what sort of strain will it be under? If high with high wind resistance I would go concrete. If low then if it has been done and is cheaper/easier I may be tempted to try the gravy.
Does your research state why gravel over concrete. Is this a greenie type choice or other practical reasons?

only a 3.5 to 4 footer.
Some people say the concrete eventually provides a cup for moisture around the wood, leading to quicker rotting

Should I try the veal with the gravy?

Concrete if you want it to stay. And the holes need to be at least as deep as the frostline where you live. It's 30" in Missouri so I'm guessing at least 3' in Philly. I dig them 3' regardless.
Hadn't thought of that. Most measurements I've seen say a third of total length underground. I only got 6 ft posts...

Go with concrete, no doubt.
thanks!

I've used concrete in the corner posts and gravel for intermediate posts, because we planned to eventually relocate the fence.
this might be what I do - it's not a long fence. Concrete for gate posts, gravel for others.

Soil conditions. A lot of loam/sand/etc, use concrete. Clay, then use gravel or compact clay back in to the hole. A tall privacy fence with a serious wind load I would concrete no matter what.
Clay with a mix of landfill I think :)
Short picket fence.
Thanks!

Concrete.
thamks!

What Tony said.
Tony's are always correct.

You didn't say Gravy was an option. I would choose gravy.:001_smile
mmmmmmmm, gravyyyy

is your wife's gravy cheaper than 10 bucks per 50 lbs?

I sure hope for your sake she doesn't read this!

I've always used concrete, so it's good to see that everyone else has, too.
im quite surprised there is near consensus!

What are the fence posts made of?
If steel, I would use concrete, because if you replace a post it will probably pull the concrete up with it and save you the bother of excavating it.
If wood, I would use rammed earth. If you pull the post, gravel would probably all slump down into the hole, and it would be a big production digging it out.

Then again, I've never owned or built a fence.
Pressure treated wood.
Not worried about gravel slumping - they make digging tooops that make that job easy. Thanks for the input, especially after I just typed the word "consensus" :)

I voted gravel.

When I worked for the Wisconsin DNR as an LTE, we put up A LOT of fences, and we just tamped earth in around the post. To add rigidity if we needed it, a few rocks went in, as well. Concrete has permanence, but it might be a permanence you may later regret.

Think about the fence, where its going, and what might happen in the future when you make your final call.

Don
thanks!
First thing my handier-than-me neighbor said was, "so are you going to use gravel?"

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
only a 3.5 to 4 footer.
Some people say the concrete eventually provides a cup for moisture around the wood, leading to quicker rotting

Should I try the veal with the gravy?

If it is true white veal, I would recommend a better sauce. Especially if we are talking about the little woman's gravy. :w00t:

Lamb cooked in gravy by Sous Vide is where we are at today. Smoky BBQ, Red Wine & Garlic and Rosemary & Mint.

Ready to make some post gravy.

$Rack.jpg

mmmmmmmm, gravyyyy

is your wife's gravy cheaper than 10 bucks per 50 lbs?

I think we can work with that price. I'll pay you $9 per 50lb CIF, to take it off my plate.....err hands.

All jokes aside. If you insist on using gravel, then putting the corner posts in concrete and the others with gravel sounds a good way to go.

Top Bottom