What's new

Dovo Mother of pearl question.

I was thinking of picking up a DOVO MOP mainly because i think it might be the most beautiful modern production razor (in my price class). Do i have to worry about the gold wash coming off, or the gold wash on the spine coming off after honing? Thanks in advance.

BTW to specify, this is the razor i am talking about:
$mopgoldspine-2.jpg

Last edited:
May I suggest a visit to the Revisor site? They make razors that cost a little less than a Dovo, shaves very much like a Dovo and they look really great. There's an ongoing thread about Revisor.

May I suggest a visit to the Revisor site? They make razors that cost a little less than a Dovo, shaves very much like a Dovo and they look really great. There's an ongoing thread about Revisor.
I saw it too and checked out their site, but as i dont live in the EU i will have to pay for costums handling (200 nok) and when the thread said something about uneven factory bevels that turned me off. One day though I'm sure i will have one.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Not to be the one to be a partypooper but perfection in a production razor is sometimes hard to get. If small imperfections will bug you I highly suggest spending a bit more and purchasing from a brick and mortar shop where you can personally inspect the razor you will take home. I felt the same as you and felt slightly bummed when my Dovo came with loose scales and wonky bevels and slightly warped blade. None of that affects the shave though. Higher end Dovos may have better fit and finish so YMMV.

i have to say that is one majestic razor, it looks like something the popes holy hair hacker would use on a Christmas or Easter shave.

I've only had mine for a few months (grabbed it when TSS had some at a steep discount because they came without boxes - I guess Dovo used to sell these in 2-razor sets and Jarrod was clearing out inventory), but the gold wash doesn't seem to be affected by honing; there's nothing peeling from the honewear strip or anything like that. I honed on tomo slurry and water btw (and I assume TSS honed on coti slurry and water).

The only thing I dislike about mine is that the scales are very, very thick - substantially thicker than my Dovo Bismarck, which has somewhat thick scales itself. Otherwise it's a gorgeous razor (I love that version of the Dovo logo) and a good and comfortable shaver.

The only thing I dislike about mine is that the scales are very, very thick - substantially thicker than my Dovo Bismarck, which has somewhat thick scales itself. Otherwise it's a gorgeous razor (I love that version of the Dovo logo) and a good and comfortable shaver.

Glad somebody noticed. Used to be, this one & "Dovo Special" had wonderfully thin and flexible scales that 'breathed' around the razor as you opened and closed it. They were elegant. But enough e-morons complained that they "weren't robust enough" (despite them not breaking), and the change was made ~5yrs ago or so. Would love to own an old one with the delicate Dovo script (admittedly the new rigid/thick scales are superior here) and stamped tang on the thin scales.

Top Bottom