What's new

Tequilla

I've never been a big fan of Tequila but that changed last night. Our neighbor across the street invited my wife and I over. Jose is originally from Mexico and still has family there. He broke open a bottle of Herradura Ultra Anejo tequila and I was blown away. Incredibly smooth. I just wish it was available in the U.S. Next he opened a bottle of Don Julio 70th anniversary. I found it had a more complex flavor. That too was brought back from Mexico and I noticed that the proof of both bottles was less than 80 proof. I wonder if this is the reason for being so smooth.

Before the evening was over, some of Jose's children joined us and I got a history lesson about Tequila. They never do shots or mix it with anything. Rather, they drink it neat and sip it.

If you ever get to Mexico and like Tequila, try these two.

Your wish has come true.

I just looked them up to find pricing in case we went over the border, as we do on occasion, and you can get both of those at Total Wine here in AZ.

Worst case, you could take a trip to Yuma, park the car on the US side and walk over the border to find lots of shops selling all kinds of things including liquor and medications. There are some decent Mexican restaurants as well so it's a nice day trip.

I've never been a big fan of Tequila but that changed last night. Our neighbor across the street invited my wife and I over. Jose is originally from Mexico and still has family there. He broke open a bottle of Herradura Ultra Anejo tequila and I was blown away. Incredibly smooth. I just wish it was available in the U.S. Next he opened a bottle of Don Julio 70th anniversary. I found it had a more complex flavor. That too was brought back from Mexico and I noticed that the proof of both bottles was less than 80 proof. I wonder if this is the reason for being so smooth.

Before the evening was over, some of Jose's children joined us and I got a history lesson about Tequila. They never do shots or mix it with anything. Rather, they drink it neat and sip it.

If you ever get to Mexico and like Tequila, try these two.
Glad you had an enjoyable evening on many different levels! Bravo! Now you've added a new item to get on your next trip to the package store!!

Bevmo, in California, has Herradura Ultra Anejo for $59.99. Don Julio 70th Anniversary is on sale at $62.99. There is a store in Pheonix. You might find what you are looking for there. Buena suerte.

Bevmo, in California, has Herradura Ultra Anejo for $59.99. Don Julio 70th Anniversary is on sale at $62.99. There is a store in Pheonix. You might find what you are looking for there. Buena suerte.

That's for 80 proof. The lower proof Tequila to the best of my knowledge is not available here.

That's for 80 proof. The lower proof Tequila to the best of my knowledge is not available here.

You are correct I think, here in Mexico the Tequila Herradura Ultra Suave Anejo is rated at 35%, which is about 70 proof if I remember correctly (It's also about $529 Mexican Pesos). The DonJulio 70 Anos is also 35% (and also $529 Mexican Pesos).

Your friend has nice taste in Tequila, he obviously likes mildly aged "smooth" varieties.

Me, I love almost all Tequila (not that swill they sell to tourists on the beach though). I have tested well over 100 different examples, and currently in my house have about 60 bottles.

It seems like your eyes have been opened to what you can get, and it gets even better when you move away from the big brands.

If you get a chance, see if you can try Tequila Forteleza Anejo (my favorite is their Reposado though), or if you are really lucky and find El Tesoro Tequila Paradiso then do not pass that up. Nectar of the elders for sure!

Welcome to the Tequila sippers club!

Yep. Just like Mexican Food, the majority of the US does tequila wrong.

Always nice when you find something new that you like. Tequilla isn't normally my go to, but my favorites are Gran Centenario Plata for a blanco and El Jimador 100% Agave Reposado for something with a touch of age.

You are correct I think, here in Mexico the Tequila Herradura Ultra Suave Anejo is rated at 35%, which is about 70 proof if I remember correctly (It's also about $529 Mexican Pesos). The DonJulio 70 Anos is also 35% (and also $529 Mexican Pesos).

Your friend has nice taste in Tequila, he obviously likes mildly aged "smooth" varieties.

Me, I love almost all Tequila (not that swill they sell to tourists on the beach though). I have tested well over 100 different examples, and currently in my house have about 60 bottles.

It seems like your eyes have been opened to what you can get, and it gets even better when you move away from the big brands.

If you get a chance, see if you can try Tequila Forteleza Anejo (my favorite is their Reposado though), or if you are really lucky and find El Tesoro Tequila Paradiso then do not pass that up. Nectar of the elders for sure!

Thanks for the tips. Jose must be your long lost cousin! Some folks have a wine cellar. He has a cabinet filled with different bottles of Tequila. Although I did not taste them this time, he had one that was in a beautiful blue and white bottle. I think the name was something like Azul. Another one was in the shape of a skull.

I just saw Jose a few minutes ago. He said the Tequila that comes in a skull bottle is called Kah. The other Tequila is Klase Azul.

Last edited:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
If, as David says, you have access to a Total Wines, you're in for a treat. Hasta lumbago.

Please feel free to list some more of your favorites (I'm making a list). We cross over into Mexico on occasion and I'm always looking for a nice bottle of tequila then I look and there's so many to choose from. That's when the confusion sets in. So, I wonder which ones I should pick and what I should be paying for them. I'd say we cross over into Yuma about every six months and we're due for a trip really soon.

I should make it a tradition to pick up a bottle each trip. I think I'm going to have to make that happen.

Legion

Staff member
I am a big fan of nice Anejo sipping tequila. It is a shame it costs so much here, but from time to time I will treat myself. We don't have the range that is available in the US, but when I went to LA my liver nearly popped. I barely drank any other spirit.

You guys in LA, or better yet, in Mexico or close to the Mexican border, do yourselves a favour and stop with the shots and margarita. That stuff needs to be savoured.

You guys in LA, or better yet, in Mexico or close to the Mexican border, do yourselves a favor and stop with the shots and margarita. That stuff needs to be savoured.

I do agree, I'm way past tequila shots and an average quality tequila is just fine for margaritas if that's what your guests want.

I'd rather have a really good tequila myself, which is meant to be sipped and enjoyed.

Thanks for the info. I did not realize that tequila could be produced at less than 40% ABV. A little research shows that tequila is allowed to be sold a 35% ABV, with a maximum ABV of 55%.

The Don Julio 70 is great. I never see it in PA. I also really like the Don Julio reposado. It is much easier to find and a bit less expensive than the 70. The Anejo is probadly closers in taste to the other Tequilas that you tried and is roughly the same price as the Repasado.
Also, I strongly agree with the other poster on Espolon. It is the best value Tequilas I have tried. I prefer the DJ, but the Espolon is half the price.

Check double gold medal winners @ 2016 San Francisco International Spirits Competition and tastetequila.com website.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
10-4 on the sipping. Don Julio is so smooth. Gone are the days of fire and flame throated.

....next up....high end mescal.

Top Bottom