What's new

Tequilla

Herradurra is my hands-down favorite tequila. Every party or gathering with my wife's family has a bottle or two around, but typically just Jimador, Cazadores, or 100 Anos.

Some of the cousins (my wife is from Jalisco) are from Tequila, and when I'm lucky they bring a bottle from the family distillery. Haven't really had anything that comes close to it, even my top shelf.

Herradurra is my hands-down favorite tequila. Every party or gathering with my wife's family has a bottle or two around, but typically just Jimador, Cazadores, or 100 Anos.

Some of the cousins (my wife is from Jalisco) are from Tequila, and when I'm lucky they bring a bottle from the family distillery. Haven't really had anything that comes close to it, even my top shelf.

Which distillery is that? NOM?

I've never imbibed Tequila neat. I had a few Margeuritas when I was young and they were awful. We always referred to it as 'to-kill-ya". I am glad to see there is much more to the old spirit.

I've never imbibed Tequila neat. I had a few Margeuritas when I was young and they were awful. We always referred to it as 'to-kill-ya". I am glad to see there is much more to the old spirit.
Once again I have to sing the praises of Espolon. I use their Reposed in Margaritas and drink it neat. It is awfully good stuff. As a matter of fact I had a couple of Margaritas last night made with Espolon. Good stuff!!

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
It sounds like someone needs to make you a decent Margarita.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
proxy.php

That, right there, is a Margarita (or, more precisely, two of them). Equal parts tequila and Cointreau, plus a half measure of lime juice (best a half hour of the squeeze, but not more than a few hours or so).

proxy.php

That, right there, is a Margarita (or, more precisely, two of them). Equal parts tequila and Cointreau, plus a half measure of lime juice (best a half hour of the squeeze, but not more than a few hours or so).
Those look very very yummy!

proxy.php

Tex, now that is what I call a cocktail. None of that frozen/salted/whatever abomination which was served to me. If there is one thing the retro cocktail movement has shown it is that the things we call 'classic' became so for a reason. Much like traditional shaving, traditional cocktails bring this forward. I don't really care what becomes popular in the future, shaving and mixed drinks were both perfected in the early 20th century. No real need to innovate. Experiment? Sure, but the die is well cast.

I would like to add if you enjoy drinking tequila neat, you just might love some smoky, earthy mescal.
Just another rabbit hole in case the tequila hole isn't deep enough.

:sailor:

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Tex, now that is what I call a cocktail. None of that frozen/salted/whatever abomination which was served to me. If there is one thing the retro cocktail movement has shown it is that the things we call 'classic' became so for a reason. Much like traditional shaving, traditional cocktails bring this forward. I don't really care what becomes popular in the future, shaving and mixed drinks were both perfected in the early 20th century. No real need to innovate. Experiment? Sure, but the die is well cast.

Thanks, and I agree with darn near everything you say. The only thing I disagree with is discouraging innovation. We can continue to play around and see what we can discover while, at the same time, appreciating and enjoying the good stuff that's already out there.

Cheers!

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I would like to add if you enjoy drinking tequila neat, you just might love some smoky, earthy mescal.

I tend to prefer Mescal to Tequila, actually. That's a marvelous rabbit hole.

I agree -- Mescal can be really interesting. A quite different flavor profile of a similar product. Kind of like different types of whisky -- say, Bourbon compared to Scotch.

I have some friends that have got down that rabbit hole. One in particular loves to make Oaxacan Old-Fashioneds with it. The more expensive ones are drunk neat. Quite smokey! Personally, I like it but I just don't need another rabbit hole!!!!!!!!!!! :blink:

Thanks, and I agree with darn near everything you say. The only thing I disagree with is discouraging innovation. We can continue to play around and see what we can discover while, at the same time, appreciating and enjoying the good stuff that's already out there.

Cheers!

You know, you really are right on that innovation thing. Since this thread started I have been poking around YouTube(best tv channel that is not on tv) and found a couple of cocktail channels that really drive this home. One is called Small Screen Drinks features Robert Hess making drinks and sharing history of the cocktail world. Though I was unfamiliar with him I have seen a few other references that seem to say he is a very accomplished drink historian or something similar. Very good channel. I also watch a channel called Distinguished Spirits. The guy has a great media voice and does a lot of classic cocktails. Particularly from the James Bond books. Yet he also showcases modern drinks that look every bit as classic as a Manhattan. Technique and style is the key I think. Rather than ridiculous stuff like buttery ni**les or sex on the beach, these drinks are thoughtfully formulated with the same perspectives that went into the classics. Good stuff.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Herradura is what I usually drink. When I can find it...

Top Bottom