What's new

MWF Wool Fat lather disappearing

I rather up with warm water and after face lather for few minutes lather is thick & slick but lather will just disappear after a while!
Anyone know whats wrong?!

I rather up with warm water and after face lather for few minutes lather is thick & slick but lather will just disappear after a while!

I've personally never used MWF but I've heard of others having the same problem. While I can't add any personal help I do know people say this guys technique seems to work well. Maybe you can try this way and see if you get a better result!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately I don't have any impute to help you with lathering MWF, but I can say that it can be difficult at times to lather. Unlike other soaps I use, MWF is very inconsistent each time I use it and requires more time to even make a decent amount of lather. Imho it ranks just above Williams Mug and the only thing MWF has going for it is its scent. With so many other great soaps out there, it doesn't make sense to waste my time on a pore preformer.
Sorry for the rant! Hopefully someone else will be able to help you out.

You need to pick up more soap. Some add a tablespoon of water to the puck while they shower to make it easier to lather (easier to pick up more soap this way). You could also just lengthen the duration for which you are lathering the soap as that'll work as well.

The other thing you could be doing is using too much water.

I have to agree with David. MWF, in my experience, needs to be bloomed prior to use, then loaded for quite a while. Load for longer than you think you need to, then when you think you're done, continue loading for another 15-30 seconds. Be concious of how much water you are putting in, (i.e. don't put too much in too fast while building) and you'll be rewarded with a nice thick, stable lather.

I practice the tips already outlined in earlier comments. Bloom the soap at least to some degree. Use a damp, not a wet brush. Really load the soap and keep loading it even when you think you have loaded it enough. Add water slowly while face lathering. I understand why people don't want to take the time to learn how to use a finicky soap when there are easier soaps to use, but it's become one of my favorite soaps since learning how to use it. The post shave feel is legendary.

Are you by any chance using a boar brush that's not fully broken in? That would explain the disappearance of your lather.

I bloom mine then use a bowl

$20160901_204532.jpg$20160901_204632.jpg

I can get 3 passes with a touch up if needed

The fat is pretty particular on how thirsty it is, too little and it dries quickly, too much and the lather thins and dissipates. Perfection is a very fine line with this soap. Just practice the previously mentioned advice and you'll get it, it just takes time.

As others have said load a tonne of soap onto the brush and then add water slowly, a little bit at a time, until you reach the perfect consistency. If your lather has a bunch of small bubbles in it you need more soap.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
If I had a nickle for every MWF won't lather thread I've read, I would have one less nickle than the number of times I have tried to get Da Fat to become magic, and failed. I've done the pre-bloom, the upside down lather, the boar brush, a horse's brush, full moon in the window pre-load, and still it hasn't come through. I won't import special water to a bathroom to get it to work, sorry, but next time it comes up in a long rotation I'll try loading it for twice as long ..

As said, it really shouldn't be that difficult for something you are going to rinse off a minute afterwards. I keep it for the bowl maybe .. :), unless I had to use it daily

When using MWF the golden rule is loaded like you hate it load the soap longer for 35 to 45 second, and add a little bit water as you go along while you face lather is also very important not to use too much water otherwise the lather will start disappearing.

I've been using MWF for nearly 6 months on and off and I have no issue at all with soft or hard water and I LOVE MWF :thumbup:

Last edited:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Use more product. Take what you care currently using and double it.

I find it works well for me to simply wet the puck, shake it off (or tip over your dish or whatever it is in), and load using a squeezed-out brush. I wet my face and start face lathering. After 20 seconds add some water to the brush and "paint" over the lather on my face, bingo.

I don't mess around with blooming, but I do load the bejeebers out of it.

Yeah, I don't bloom the soap either but I'll sometimes put a tablespoon of water on it while I shower. When I get out of the shower the water is gone. Since I don't use the soap a lot it helps to soften it back up again. I wouldn't consider that blooming and the water I add isn't necessary either as it lathers for me just fine without it as well.

If I have to bloom a soap to get decent performance out of it they I'll pass on it.

I too had this exact problem. My lather was unstable. I had great lather for the first pass but by the third pass all I had thin, hardly usable foam. I did many of the things suggested above. I soak the puck while I am in the shower. I load twice as long. Contrary to what others have suggested, I use a wetter than average brush. I also hold the soap upside down while I load (brush bristles facing the ceiling). I now get more than enough lather for a three pass shave.

However, I agree with what others have said a above. It is very finicky and a lot of work. I have many other soaps that out perform MWF with less work. Thus, I use it infrequently.

Top Bottom