What's new

MWF Wool Fat lather disappearing

Takes some time but once you get it the lather is fairly easy to duplicate, I am lucky and have very soft water so I soak my brush while showering then load that brush for maybe a minute or so and as i am loading I have a trickle of water coming from the faucet and about every 15-20 secs I swipe it under the trickle of water and shake off little excess then to the bowl where i add maybe a teaspoon at a time of water but no real science in adding the water I just watch the lather and as it starts getting shiny and builds I just keep swirling and add just a touch of water here and there, if you have bubble thats a big no no you need more soap or spend time slowly working there bubbles out.

If you have bubbles like this you either need to add soap or work the lather more to get the bubbles out
$IMG_5330.jpg

Last edited:
There are a number of good posts on lathering MWF. Look at this one, I have found that MWF does not like hard water and if you have hard water, getting good lather can be a challenge. Some find loading the brush with a drier brush works. For me, I get best results I soak the brush for a bit and then give it one or two shakes so I have a wet brush but not one that is dripping water. Next, as others have said, load the brush longer than you do for most other soaps. I usually load the brush (and I swirl rather fast) for up to one minute. I face lather this soap and spend more time working the lather on my face. Also, I dip the brush tips in water to finish off the lather on my face.

Also, MWF is an excellent soap to make superlather or uberlather and using either of these makes lathering MWF relatively easy.

If you're having trouble picking up enough soap to lather with a softer brush. Score the surface of the soap with a sharp object.

By that I mean cut lines into the top of the soap, gives the bristles something to grab onto when you're loading.

MWF has been on my wish list so I went ahead and ordered after reading this thread the "Fat" has me curious, can't wait to try it.

You can try rubbing the puck right on your face as thought it was a shave stick. It is one of the very best ways to use more product, which is my typical answer whenever there is disappearing lather. You can also try building your lather right on the puck. That means just keep lathering. If you feel that you need more water, add some, but then load/lather on the puck more. Repeat until you get the lather you are looking for.

I have no difficulty to built great lather whit it, has a matter of fact MWF is my#1 shaving soap. I get great shaves whit the fat, so good that i could use no after shave and it would be just fine. The Fat and Modern Williams are very thirsty soap and the method i use is the same to built it. Load it like You hate it and load it whit a brush all most dry and add few drops at a Time till You get what You whant. Good luck

First time lathering MWF, used 24mm stirling badger brush. Lathered in a scuttle. Out of the brush and onto hand. Still had some bubbles in I added quite a bit of water to make this. Seems like it takes awhile to load up the brush.

proxy.php

proxy.php

For me lathering doesn't seem to be a problem at all. It happens fast and I have hard water. The issue I was facing was a ton of lather that looked good, but felt dry and draggy. Adding water after the lather looks good and painting the water over my already decently lathered face helped this tremendously.

For me lathering doesn't seem to be a problem at all. It happens fast and I have hard water. The issue I was facing was a ton of lather that looked good, but felt dry and draggy. Adding water after the lather looks good and painting the water over my already decently lathered face helped this tremendously.

It seems to be a very thirsty soap. I noticed that too when the lather was built it felt like it needed even more water it felt very light and airy.

I load a brush like I hate it with the fat, maybe a minute or more and as several have stated it's a thirsty soap but once you get it down the lather does not disappoint.

People have been commenting on how you have to load it for a long time aggressively. This hasn't been my experience at all. I load it on a squeezed out brush and in 10 seconds I am ready to start face lathering. I suspect there is are certain attributes to people's water that is the culprit. Maybe it isn't just plain ole' "hardness" but certain minerals that leading to the polarizing experiences.

People have been commenting on how you have to load it for a long time aggressively. This hasn't been my experience at all. I load it on a squeezed out brush and in 10 seconds I am ready to start face lathering. I suspect there is are certain attributes to people's water that is the culprit. Maybe it isn't just plain ole' "hardness" but certain minerals that leading to the polarizing experiences.

I live in a very hard water area the only water I use in it is what's on the brush wet my brush ie soak give it a quick flick to get rid of the excess load soap for 15 to 20 seconds and make lather
View attachment 693002View attachment 693003View attachment 693004View attachment 693005

Once I discovered sticks I started subbing my hard soaps onto my beard, including MWF, with a fair amount of success. I then went the next step and cut chunks of my MWF and pressed them into an old Tabac tube. I've had no problems since then when lathering the Fat. It works especially well on a three day, Monday morning beard. Tons of lather with very little maintenance. If you want to get a "feel" for this approach try rubbing the puck on your beard, with lots of soap, lather up and see how that works for you. Slicing and dicing the puck and pressing it into an old tube might work and cut down on the slippery sensation of applying the wet, slimy puck onto your beard.

Once I discovered sticks I started subbing my hard soaps onto my beard, including MWF, with a fair amount of success. I then went the next step and cut chunks of my MWF and pressed them into an old Tabac tube. I've had no problems since then when lathering the Fat. It works especially well on a three day, Monday morning beard. Tons of lather with very little maintenance. If you want to get a "feel" for this approach try rubbing the puck on your beard, with lots of soap, lather up and see how that works for you. Slicing and dicing the puck and pressing it into an old tube might work and cut down on the slippery sensation of applying the wet, slimy puck onto your beard.

So you rub the puck on your face dry ? I have a van der hagan mug and the MWF puck is bigger than the bottom diameter so I thought about trimming the outer edges and then pressing them on top.

Top Bottom