What's new

Shave ready?

I would say no, not unless they specify exactly what process was used to get the razor shave ready ie stones and grits, then linen and leather. Most likely its just the factory edge and you don't want to shave off that. I use Doc226 aka Alfredo if I need razor work done: http://doc226.com/Doc226/Home.html

His edges are truly legendary and he has a rock solid reputation here. In fact he has 8 of my razors right now, making me custom wood scales.

Congrats on a nice set and welcome too btw.

It is not shave ready! I would look in the classified section in this forum or any other shaving forum you may have subscribed to. If you attempt to shave with that razor you may be in for a rude shock. Even the reviews on that link said it was not shave ready! Shave ready is also subjective. Shave ready may not mean the same for different shavers. Some people also heavy beards with thick hair while others not. I would send it out.

Welcome to B&B. The, WIKI, at the top of the page has a lot of information. You have a lot of studying to do! Smooth shaves to you.

Hello and welcome. Great to have you here on B&B. wander on over to the Hall of Fame and introduce yourself.

Hiprobability that razor is not shave ready. As Brian noted above, I would send it to one of the gurus here for 100% certainty.

I also am going to say it's not going to be shave ready, most likely Factory sharp. I also can suggest Alfredo and I would also be willing to do it free of charge just cover shipping but not doubt Alfredo can put a killer edge on it and correct any possible issues, I have sent him lots of razors for custom scales and honing and he has been my Mentor for honing and has more than likely forgotten more than I even know :blush:

Hello and welcome.
The razor will probably shave. It will also feel very tuggy and leave a nice burning sensation.
On the other hand. It wont cut u very fast if u make a little mistake either. :)

As everyone has said. Probably not to any decent standard.

I think Dovo's are supposed to be shave ready when they leave the factory, but I would say the overwhelming majority of people I know who've bought them don't feel they are. Also several reviews there state that it isn't. I usually don't put a ton of stock in people's claims of shave readiness... but ones of "not shave ready" are usually a bit more reliable. It sounds like Steve will help you on that end though.

Thank you to everyone for the help! I have a little extra cash atm and plan on getting into honing myself if I like straight shaving so I think I will splurge a little and have doc sharpen it so I know what a blade sharpened by the best is like. I really appreciate all the offers from others and until I get my first stone I will gladly send you my razer when it is in need of honing again if your still up for it! Again thank you all for the fast and friendly responces!

Doc226 puts an amazing edge on a blade. I'm sure you'll be happy with his edge. I never expect any razor I purchase, new or vintage, to be shave ready. People love to say something is shave ready, but unless they regularly shave with a SR honed by a real honemiester they often don't understand what it means.

Not to say he is the best of the best, he was just the first recommended to me and I like that he tutors others as I might be asking him to take me on :p

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I would try a shave off it when you get it just to see. You might be pleasantly surprised. If not you are planning to send it out anyways so no harm in trying.

Welcome to B&B!

Not to say he is the best of the best, he was just the first recommended to me and I like that he tutors others as I might be asking him to take me on :p
[MENTION=44174]Doc226[/MENTION] has mentored me over many, many months and I have watched pretty much all his youtube vids, I have sent him several vids of my honing as well and he has given very sound advice as well as other great guys here that hone their own have done, so if you use him you will get a excellent "Shave Ready" razor to gage your edges by if you decide to get into honing, getting a razor to shave ready is nothing like sharpening a knife as I have knife stones that I use for pocket knives and such and once I started going with straight razors and honing I figured out in a very short time the two edges are not even close and the techniques are totally different kinda like comparing a bumble bee to a bus, I still have a lot to learn but over the past several months I have gotten better and better with my edges, are they better than others ? i would say so are they worst than others ? I would say yes but it all comes down to what works for me and so far I have been happy with the progress I have made maintaining my small collection of straights and none of it would have been possible without the help of all the great guys here that have been so helpful sharing information but you have to be willing to put the time in to learn, there will be times that no matter what you do you cannot get a decent edge as it happens to alot of us and frustration will get the better part of you but work thru it and as my mentor has told me over and over "Hone, Shave, Repeat" and just remember "Sharp is easy but Sharp and smooth is hard"

One of my straights was honed by Doc226 ~2 years before I purchased it, I believe I was the third owner after it was honed by him, and it was used a good bit in those two years. If I hadn't known the history on the razor, I would have thought that it had just been honed.

I would try a shave off it when you get it just to see. You might be pleasantly surprised. If not you are planning to send it out anyways so no harm in trying.

Welcome to B&B!
Kent makes a good point to try a with the grain shave once received. I suspect that you will notice a big difference when you get it back from Alfredo. Learning to shave with a straight razor is a fairly difficult thing to do and do it well. It requires a fair amount of repetition, and you will not get a full face BBS even with the sharpest of tools for some time. It is always recommended that you have a razor that is honed by someone who knows what they are doing so that you can remove the keenness of your tool from the equation.

My first razor was a 5/8" Dovo, and I can tell you that it was not close to being what I consider to be shave ready. It tugged a lot and was very uncomfortable. It probably cut hair though.

Welcome to B&B.

Top Bottom