What's new

What is your internet connection speed

I just did a speed test with BellAliant's own speed test (my ISP)
FiberOP

Last Result:
Download Speed: 73765 kbps (9220.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 56670 kbps (7083.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 10 ms
Jitter: 12 ms
Packet Loss: -1%
2016-09-26, 11:12:47 PM

I just ran a speed test.
Down: 24.48 Mbps
Up: 6.52 Mbps

retest came at 38.67 down 6.62 up

They are in the process of changing to fiber optic cables to allow faster speed. I think it is about a year before it reaches my house.
The new speed should be max 100/50.
We stayed on ADSL long after FiberOP (maybe a year?) became available in my area. They were pressuring everybody to upgrade, so I waited until they gave me a good bundle deal (landline phone, internet, and TV, so we could drop the digital cable TV service from another provider).
PLUS they agreed to waive the installation fee of something like $80 - $100, IIRC, which was why I waited for them to call me. We ended up paying a lot less for the combined services.

I just did a speed test with BellAliant's own speed test (my ISP)
FiberOP

Last Result:
Download Speed: 73765 kbps (9220.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 56670 kbps (7083.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 10 ms
Jitter: 12 ms
Packet Loss: -1%
2016-09-26, 11:12:47 PM

We stayed on ADSL long after FiberOP (maybe a year?) became available in my area. They were pressuring everybody to upgrade, so I waited until they gave me a good bundle deal (landline phone, internet, and TV, so we could drop the digital cable TV service from another provider).
PLUS they agreed to waive the installation fee of something like $80 - $100, IIRC, which was why I waited for them to call me. We ended up paying a lot less for the combined services.

Looks like they gotcha. We did that as well. At the end of the year term we dropped the tv part of the package and the new price for just phone and internet was more then the package that also included tv and both prices were far more then what we were paying before for unlimited internet and the phone.

dave

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
My connection speed? Two cans and a rope is my speed (seriously it's 50MBPS -50 Mbps download / 5 Mbps upload - Monthly Data
Plan: 250GB...and it's fast enough in this house). $Internet.jpg

$Computer User.jpg[FONT=&amp]"The Internet has always been, and always will be...a magic box". [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Marc Andreessen[/FONT]

Looks like they gotcha. We did that as well. At the end of the year term we dropped the tv part of the package and the new price for just phone and internet was more then the package that also included tv and both prices were far more then what we were paying before for unlimited internet and the phone.

dave

I'm interested to hear what sort of prices people are paying for their services. As mentioned, I pay about $NZ100 (= US$75) per month for unlimited but very slow ADSL and a land-line phone connection.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I'm interested to hear what sort of prices people are paying for their services. As mentioned, I pay about $NZ100 (= US$75) per month for unlimited but very slow ADSL and a land-line phone connection.

Is VDSL available in your area? They have to change a few things over but it still uses the old copper wires.

I changed about a year ago, as the new high speed (tomorrows slow) was then two years away. My current speeds are: Down- 24.4 Mbps & Up - 6.5 Mbps. Now that is not all that fast but a good improvement on what I had.
VDSL speed is just a bit quicker than ADSL. I can't remember the set up fee but think it was $99 or even free (memory fade here) on a 12 month locked contract with Spark.
They come in and run a new wire plus got a new router. Worked out to be $10 cheaper than what I was on as the rates had come down. Always pays to keep a close eye on the going rates.
When the upgrade to ultra high is done I'm now good to go with just a change of the cable to the router.......I believe.

Down: 24.48 Mbps
Up: 6.52 Mbps

Is VDSL available in your area? They have to change a few things over but it still uses the old copper wires.

Alas no VDSL, no Vodafone cable (the former Telstra Clear system) and fibre is not expected until 2020; and this is in one of the more up-market suburbs of Wellington - It's so frustrating!

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Alas no VDSL, no Vodafone cable (the former Telstra Clear system) and fibre is not expected until 2020; and this is in one of the more up-market suburbs of Wellington - It's so frustrating!

It's a large job running all the fibre octave cable but 2020 is rubbish considering where you live. I could understand a low population area.
I'm on the other side of the harbour from you in a suburb of Lower Hutt and it should be available soon. They have started in my area already and looks like the top of my street is done.

1.5 mbps down / 256 kbps up . I live out in a rural area where we only have a point to point style wireless service, so fairly slow. Well, there is satellite as well of course, but that's got way too much latency for my purposes. I'm pretty much left out of the streaming generation as a result of this.

Top Bottom