What's new

Any thoughts on the Bersa Thunder?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
My GP100 drove me nuts till put 500 rounds through it. Now it's like butter. According to my research it seems that I fell into polishing it's innards unknowingly, lol. Love that gun. So heavy/well balanced that shooting 357 feels like a soft loaded 38, and 38+P is like a 22. Would trust my life to that thing, way before any semi I've used. But, I'm an odd duck, so YMMV definitely applies here!

Last edited:

FarmerTan

I'm actually a huge jerk in real life... ;)

You are very wise @dave in "just assisting your wife" towards what she likes and wants versus "dictating or influencing" what she should get. I think us men, way underestimate a females potential and capabilities of learning and handling firearms.

Yet females, can drive a car, chew gum, talk on the cell phone and put make up on and do all these things at the same time while dropping the kids off at school and still getting herself to work on time. I don't know of any man who is that multi-faceted.

I know my wife is just typical of most others, yet she can not only pick up on, but master most firearm training, faster than I can teach her. She absolutely amazes me, how hungry and focused she can be when learning and honing new firearm skills.

While I admit, I am a Glock fanboy, when she decided to upgrade from her Ruger LCP .380, She shot many different compact 9mm's. After she eliminated the Walther PPS, Springfield XDS, Taurus Millenium, Ruger LC9 and the Kimber Solo from the first round, the only three that were left standing from that initial round was the S&W Shield, Glock 43 and Sig 938.

She really liked shooting the Shield, but decided it was just too bulky for her to carry in the type of work attire she wears. I ended up getting her the Glock 43 for Christmas, but a friend of mine, let her carry around his Sig 938 for a couple of weeks in her spare time and she would practice drawing and dry firing between that Sig 938 and the G43 I purchased her.

she really liked both the Glock and Sig and to be honest, I was kinda hoping she would choose the Sig so I could keep the G43 for myself. But damn my luck, she chose the Glock. And I think she sort of knew that I secretly wanted it, because she never let's me be alone in the same room with her gun anymore. :)

I think she is kind of a jerk in real life also... ;)

Sounds a lot like my wife. Love her dearly, and am half the human being she is. You sound like one blessed man, working in vain in deserving her, lol.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Sounds a lot like my wife. Love her dearly, and am half the human being she is. You sound like one blessed man, working in vain in deserving her, lol.

Agreed, we are both blessed. Personally, I would feel even more blessed if she would take some of the crap I dished out. But I would probably die of starvation first. Terrible death, starvation. :)

PS: Mark, just finished the article you mentioned above. I think my wife will "get it" better by reading and doing it than by a lot of "help" from some of the well meaning folks we know that have given her advice. All being men, and if they do rack it right, they fail to teach it well.

Confession time: I see guys at the range all the time racking the slide via the "slingshot" method. I just don't have the grip strength to do it with confidence. I can do it, but I always wonder if I pulled it back all the way or not. So I use Jackson's girly method, mostly without embarrassment.

I was a drummer back in the day, and in my opinion, Buddy Rich was one of the all time greats, so thanks for that quote! I once got a steady gig by being at a bar minutes before the drunken drummer showed up, so I agree, half of life is just showing up!

Dave, I was a drummer too, before I went over to the dark side . . . of classical music. The horror.

Agreed, we are both blessed. Personally, I would feel even more blessed if she would take some of the crap I dished out. But I would probably die of starvation first. Terrible death, starvation. :)

Ha! Yet another reason why I'm the cook in our house. :lol:

Last edited:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Brand spanking new, less than 300 rounds down range. It won't even register on my trigger pull gauge lol. It's smooth though no doubt. It's a range toy so I'll likely get a spring set for it one of these days. I think the heavy trigger pull is a by product of the same reason for the hammer lock on it...

I'm not familiar with the newer ones with the lock on them, but you're probably right...more "junk" in the innards that has to be operated along with the "safety" feature of a heavy trigger pull.

Have you ever put a spring kit in an S&W revolver before? I put one in many years ago that had three weights of trigger return spring and a reduced power mainspring. At first I put the reduced power mainspring and the lightest trigger return spring in it and it seemed to me to be kinda, well, sloppy. The trigger had a tendency not to reset real easy and I would double clutch the trigger at times. I ended up putting in the heaviest trigger return spring in the kit in, that's just a bit lighter than the factory one, and put the factory mainspring back in, and kept the mainspring screw tightened all the way in. SWMBO is 5' 2" tall and weighs about 100 lbs., and ain't 40 years old anymore but she can manipulate the DA trigger just fine on it now.

You might try backing out the mainspring screw a bit and see if that helps a little until it breaks in some more...just keep an eye out for light primer strikes and if you get rounds not going off tighten it back up a little. But you probably already know that.

Now back to the subject of the thread...I've never shot a Bersa, just handled one, but my step-daughter had a Thunder that her hubby bought her and a Constable here carried one as a back-up for awhile. They didn't have anything bad to say about them.

FarmerTan

Terrible death indeed! I'm lucky: she's told me for 28 years that she's got a frying pan with my name on it for when I stray too far off the reservation! As a nurse I figure starvation takes longer than I want to take in the dying process. Now I just pray the War Department hits me well enough to finish me off quickly so I don't suffer much! And the saddest thing is this: she'd get off because she's got enough folks to testify on her behalf that the prosecutor would consider it justifiable homicide! And enough folks know me well enough to figure I'm hard enough to live with that they'd consider it a public service to remove me from the planet!:w00t:!

FarmerTan

simon1Now back to the subject of the thread...I've never shot a Bersa said:
I wish I had piles of money lying around! The Versa just seem like a gun I'd buy and not be disappointed if my bride didn't like it, cuz I could see me playing around with it!

Top Bottom