What's new

Who's reaching for some Oud this Autumn?

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I have a bottle of Diptyque Oud Palao on the way after having sampled it recently. Love the scent. I also have Tom Ford London on the way which has a noticeable Oud note as well as Coffee which mixes quite nicely. I find I really enjoy a nice Oud fragrance when the weather starts cooling back down. Anybody else reaching for an Oud fragrance lately? Which one?

I love oud. I burn it in my home and I wear the oil made from it. Today I am enjoying a 5 year old oud from Ensar called Ak'u Akira; applied after some Clubman Musk, no less. lol

Last edited:
Love it. Now that the weather is starting to cool, I've been reaching for my Black Aoud, Aoud Musk, Leather Oud, and M7.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Just did; it's specific-strong-stuff (CM's Polo Supreme/Black/Oud). Think I'm on the fence as far as liking it.

Virtually all Oud is synthetic, I read somewhere ...

AA

Just in:
proxy.php

I love oud. I burn it in my home and I wear the oil made from it. Today I am enjoying a 5 year old oud from Ensar called Ak'u Akira; applied after some Clubman Musk, no less. lol

This is something that I'd love to try, Larry. Can you give a quick rundown on how it's done? Is it similar to burning incense?

I sampled many oud oils from Agar Aura and liked some, not many, but I've found that I prefer it blended with other accords in fragrance. I know that they are a far cry from the real deal, but that's okay for me.

This is something that I'd love to try, Larry. Can you give a quick rundown on how it's done? Is it similar to burning incense?
The traditional way to burn oud is to place a chip on a piece of charcoal. The resinated wood bubbles and simmers on the coal as it heats up, releasing a fragrant smoke that can be absolutely beautiful, but often times is simply overwhelming to do indoors with the windows closed. I find it too much smoke to really enjoy. However, the oud can also be burned in an incense burner that is basically a small hotplate with a controllable thermostat. To do this, I have to grind up the oud chips into a powder. I use a small mortar and pestle to grind the oud for the burner. Using this method, the oud doesn't quite bubble or simmer. Rather, it just gently emits an incense smoke that is simply gorgeous. I think the fragrance that is emitted this way is likely the fragrance perfumers are trying to capture when they distill oud resin into oil. The downside here, though, is that the oud is not completely consumed, so I don't get the full spectrum of fragrances available in the wood. I'm ok with this, though, because I will aggregate what's left after a number of burns and put it on a coal (when the windows are open). Sometimes I mix some sandalwood in with the oud.

I am not one to burn incense. But I love burning oud. It is part of my morning routine now. I work from home, so when I go down into my office with a cup of coffee, I'll grind some oud to enjoy with that cup to start the day.

Last edited:
The traditional way to burn oud is to place a chip on a piece of charcoal. The resinated wood bubbles and simmers on the coal as it heats up, releasing a fragrant smoke that can be absolutely beautiful, but often times is simply overwhelming to do indoors with the windows closed. I find it too much smoke to really enjoy. However, the oud can also be burned in an incense burner that is basically a small hotplate with a controllable thermostat. To do this, I have to grind up the oud chips into a powder. I use a small mortar and pestle to grind the oud for the burner. Using this method, the oud doesn't quite bubble or simmer. Rather, it just gently emits an incense smoke that is simply gorgeous. I think the fragrance that is emitted this way is likely the fragrance perfumers are trying to capture when they distill oud resin into oil. The downside here, though, is that the oud is not completely consumed, so I don't get the full spectrum of fragrances available in the wood. I'm ok with this, though, because I will aggregate what's left after a number of burns and put it on a coal (when the windows are open). Sometimes I mix some sandalwood in with the oud.

I am not one to burn incense. But I love burning oud. It is part of my morning routine now. I work from home, so when I go down into my office with a cup of coffee, I'll grind some oud to enjoy with that cup to start the day.

When you say charcoal, do you mean a piece of hookah tobacco?

When you say charcoal, do you mean a piece of hookah tobacco?
Not sure, don't know what that is. This is what I currently use. They can be a bit tough to light, but they burn slowly and for a while.

At different temps the resin releases different fragrances. A slow burn, I think, gives me a bit more opportunity to discern differences. If the oud lights up too quickly, it's just a mass of smoke to my untrained nose.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Just did; it's specific-strong-stuff (CM's Polo Supreme/Black/Oud). Think I'm on the fence as far as liking it.

Virtually all Oud is synthetic, I read somewhere ...

AA

Virtually all fragrances are synthetic, Oud or not. Some natural citrus is often used but most fragrance oils are synthetic. What matters is the quality of the fragrance oil in the end. Any fragrance note that's not cost effective to use in essential oil will be synthetic. Even big companies that charge top dollar like Creed use synthetic fragrance oils.

Not sure, don't know what that is. This is what I currently use. They can be a bit tough to light, but they burn slowly and for a while.

At different temps the resin releases different fragrances. A slow burn, I think, gives me a bit more opportunity to discern differences. If the oud lights up too quickly, it's just a mass of smoke to my untrained nose.

Damn, sorry. I meant hookah charcoal, lol. It's very similar to what you use

Top Bottom