What's new

Fatboy Question and the Satisfaction of Reviving Old Razors

I got these two Fatboys on the ebay for a decent price with every intention of sacrificing one or both of them to learn how to disassemble/assemble a Fatboy Cap Murphy style. They were both pretty dingy and didn't look so good in the sellers' photos--probably explains the lack of interest. But after a baking soda bath, a soft scrub cleaning, and some rubbing with a polishing cloth, they both cleaned up nicely! Now I don't want to take them apart. Take a look at the pic though (my question is below the photo):

$IMG_3033.jpg

Notice how the gap is wider on the one on the right and that the razor on the left has a sleeve under the adjustment barrel. BOTH razors are set on No. 9.

Is there supposed to be a difference like that or is one or the other in need of adjustment? The both function well and everything is pretty tight.

I would say, the one on the right isn't adjusting as it should. Did you soak them in hot tap water and dish soap? If not, soak them over night and see if it will adjust up and down. You don't really need to take them apart unless they refuse to function properly. Soaking, sometimes more than once, will usually put them back into service.

One has a sleeve and the other doesn't because of the year each was manufactured. My Fat boy is like the one on the left. It looks perfectly fine. And the one on the right looks fine as well judging from pictures I've seen on the web. Gillette removed the sleeve after a certain year. Although I have read some stragglers made it out of the factory.

Last edited:
Yep, the collar is a difference between years of production. The collar was taken away with the F year series Fat Boys onwards.

Yep, the collar is a difference between years of production. The collar was taken away with the F year series Fat Boys onwards.

I didn't even think of this. Indeed, the razor on the left is an E, and the right is an F. So smart you guys!

Top Bottom