What's new

Open Comb Slant with some weight to it

Hi,

Does any one know any other open combs slants on the market other than the
PAA Bakelite razor? I'm looking for something with some weight to it.

Was considering getting the Merkur 37C, but it isn't an open comb.

many thanks,

Above the tie has one

Folks say it is a good one and you can get one of three handles depending on how long and how heavy you want. It does not torque the blade like the PAA or newer slants do (like the X3 or Wunderbar), but it is very efficient. Then again, you can just put a heavier handle on your PAA head like I did.

Which handle did you put on it?

I should have said I knew ATT made one, but that I was looking for one south of $100.

OC slants are not common. Fasan made an OC slant about 70 years ago. If you can find one, they're good shavers.
Valencia (France) also made an OC slant, but they are very hard to find.

Which handle did you put on it?

A chrome plated brass handle I got off of an $8 Amazon razor. Didn't even bother to shave with it, just wanted cheap brass handles for the aluminum razor heads Ikon was planning to come out with at that time. Since then, the X3 was released and I put a Hawaiian hardwood handle on that so I had it as extra. It shaves well. The PAA head is very light and so I let the weight of the handle do the work.

Hi,

I shave with a Fasan on a daily basis. They are Double Slants, meaning they have double the helix twist of most other slants. The all-plastic Fasans are quite light. The ones with the metal top cap are quite a bit heavier - to the point where it is quite top heavy. I gave mine balance by using a handle from a Gillette NEW and loading it with lead shot. Of course, there are plenty of other heavy handles you could use if you didn't like the balance with the stock Fasan plastic handle.

The issue, as already pointed out, is they are a bit difficult to find....

Stan

The problem is: you want some weight. The weighty Fasans are the rarer ones, and therefore priced out of your princepoint. Valencia is expensive and not seen that often.
That leaves you with a plastic/bakelite azor with a metal grip, or filling the plastic/bakelite grip with lead.

Top Bottom