What's new

Philosophical Question about Aftershave/Cologne

Out of curiosity, do you wear your aftershave or cologne because YOU like it or because your significant other likes it (or dating prospects, etc..)? Would you stop wearing a scent you like because your significant other doesn't like it? Or to the contrary, would you wear something you do NOT like because they want you to wear it?

Just curious...

-Mc

Interesting question...

I mainly wear it because I like it.... that being said, if there were a aftershave that the wife would absolutely hate or would make her sick, I definitely would stop wearing it. There are some scents in my den that she doesn't care too much for but can live with... I still wear those because I enjoy them.

As for wearing something that I don't like but she does... nope. My face, my scent. I wouldn't wear something I cant stand. Period.

Now there was an exception to that once... back when I was young and dumb. The lady of interest at the time had mentioned a favorite scent and what does dumb me do... buys a bottle and slathers the stuff on... absolutely not my type of scent, felt pretty uncomfortable and the evening didn't pan out either. Lesson learned. Next date... my scent, felt more comfortable... better outcome :laugh:... definitely learned something there!!!

I would never wear a cologne or AS I didn't like, but I would not wear one she didn't like. So many good scents out there, no need for disharmony, IMO.

Out of curiosity, do you wear your aftershave or cologne because YOU like it or because your significant other likes it (or dating prospects, etc..)? Would you stop wearing a scent you like because your significant other doesn't like it? Or to the contrary, would you wear something you do NOT like because they want you to wear it?

Just curious...

-Mc

I wear it because I like it. I wear less divisive ones for dates.
I wouldn't wear a fragrance that an SO didn't like around the SO.
I'd wear a sample of something I didn't like if my SO really wanted me to. I would try to find something with similar notes that we both enjoyed so that I wouldn't need to wear something I didn't like. (There isn't much that I don't like, so this last one doesn't worry me too much.)

Another one for not wearing anything I don't like. My partner and I don't live together so I have plenty of opportunity to wear the ones she doesn't like.

But it goes both ways. I vetoed one of her night time face creams so fair is fair.

I wear aftershaves/colognes that I like
Having said that, the ones that I like fall into 3 categories....

Restock When Empty
Williams Expert Aqua Velva
Floid Vigaroso
Old Spice Fresh Lime, Musk & Original
Tabac Original
Varon Dandy
Brut

Undecided
Aqua Velva Ice Blue
Aqua Velva Musk
Mennen Skin Bracer
La Toja Aftershave Lotion

Replace With Something Different When Empty
Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve
Jovan Musk
Agua Brava
Denim Original
Pino Silvestre
Russian Forest
Shipr
Troynoy

The "Undecided" and "Something Different" aftershaves will last for a long time because I only use most of them when I go out at night.

+3/4

I use them for me, not for others. But I am conscious not to wear something that will alarm the public. If I had a SO (and I don't), I'd try to be sympatico.

Theoretically me too. When your SO complains about it no matter which one you are using ( and I am using some good ones. Tuscan Oud, Fine Platinum, PAA Tombstone) you may end up coming to the realization that they simply do not like any fragrance and decide to not concern yourself with their opinion. I mean what kind of person doesn't like the smell of Tuscan Oud???

The splashes I use are ones I like. That is my only consideration.
+1
My wife has never said she does not like an aftershave. She has said she likes certain ones but I like them as well. I have never encountered an aftershave that I do not like that she does, but I would not wear something I didn't like.

Top Bottom