What's new

Question about electric kettles.

Today, my dear SWMBO and I visit a lovely local coffee shop and were treated for some very nice pour-through coffee. My honeybunch, always eagerer to acquire more kitchen gadgets, decided she wants the whole set up including an electric kettle. Most mornings she uses a drip machine. She is an early riser and programs her coffeemaker the night before. So, here's my question. Is there a programmable (has a timer like a drip machine) electric kettle that is suitable for for pour-through method? If not, how long dose it take for a typical electric kettle like Bonavita to heat 3 cups of water?

Thanks for your wisdom, great coffee gurus!

A timer for the outlet might be cheaper.

I like my coffee pour over too but use the stove top. I've been looking at kettles as well.

-Stephen

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I would not expect you need a timer for a good electric kettle. Most can get a few cups of water up to what you probably are looking for in couple minutes or so.

I love my Cuisinart PerfecTemp with the different temperature settings (160, 175, 185, 190, 200, and boil--also a "keep warm" setting that holds at the selected temperature), since I enjoy all sorts of coffee, tea, and other stuff. It gets 16 ounces of water to 190 or 200 in under two minutes (even if cold out of the refrigerator dispenser). Besides the cool temperature settings, it also is very easy to handle, even when full (1.7 L, roughly half a gallon).

I use a Zojirushi CD-WBC 3-liter water boiler. It has four settings (140/175/195/208) and a slow-pour setting for pour-overs. It has a timer setting of 6-10 hours so you can just pour the water in the night before and let it boil a little bit before I wake up.

I usually leave mine plugged in at 195 so boiling doesn't take too long.

The Bonavitas can take a few minutes, but not more than say ten minutes.

I might guesstimate 3-4 minutes to heat a nearly full kettle. I will try to remember to time it tomorrow or the next day.

One obvious approach is to fill the kettle the night before, so that all one needs to do is press a button before visiting the bathroom and getting ready for the day. But if that means walking up/down stairs to reach the kitchen it would be a pain.

Not to long..

Mines a off brand and I can hand grind coffee.. Be done with that and the water is done heating up.I also fill mine the night before..

My dearest pumpkin rarely has even a few extra minutes in the morning. Let's see what she decides. Frequent reconsiderations are some of her many royal prerogatives.

:001_smile

Took some measurements while making coffee and tea today. Each time the kettle was cool and volume measured using kitchen measuring cups. Using water straight from the tap.

• Bonavita BV382510V (Variable temperature gooseneck)
    • 4 cups (32 oz) took 7 minutes and 5 seconds to reach 205F. Took another 10 seconds or until the 7:15 mark to reach 206F.
  • Bonavita PIL-BV3825B (plain gooseneck)
    • 4 cups (32 oz) took 5 minutes and 57 seconds until auto shutoff engaged. Water had reached a rolling boil by 5:45 and was probably at temperature just past 5:30.
    • 2 cups (16 oz) took 3 minutes and 13 seconds until auto shutoff engaged.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
That got me curious about how the Cuisinart PerfecTemp performed on something similar. I measured out 4 cups (32 oz), loaded 'er up, and let 'er rip.

- 3:39 to reach 200F (according to the auto-shutoff)
- 4:07 to boil

I think you need to speak to this guy he added wifi to his kettle and turns it on from bed so it's ready by the time he get's to the kitchen. Caveat you would have to fill it the night before. Interesting stuff.

Today, my dear SWMBO and I visit a lovely local coffee shop and were treated for some very nice pour-through coffee. My honeybunch, always eagerer to acquire more kitchen gadgets, decided she wants the whole set up including an electric kettle. Most mornings she uses a drip machine. She is an early riser and programs her coffeemaker the night before. So, here's my question. Is there a programmable (has a timer like a drip machine) electric kettle that is suitable for for pour-through method? If not, how long dose it take for a typical electric kettle like Bonavita to heat 3 cups of water?

Thanks for your wisdom, great coffee gurus!

Why not use your pour over coffee maker with timer a water kettle just don't add coffee grounds ? The water will be heated in a thermal carafe ready for pour over by the time she makes it into the kitchen.

Why not use your pour over coffee maker with timer a water kettle just don't add coffee grounds ? The water will be heated in a thermal carafe ready for pour over by the time she makes it into the kitchen.
My understanding is that pour-over coffee making requires a rather precise temperature control.

My understanding is that pour-over coffee making requires a rather precise temperature control.

195 - 205 degrees. Close is fine.

Without a thermometer, bring to a boil. Let sit 2-3 minutes. Make coffee.

Brew times for pour over: 30-45 second bloom. 3-4 minutes brewing (pour over)

Fastest way to boil water: In a microwave (4 minutes). On an induction burner (2 minutes).

Even big heater electric kettles take a bit of time to come to a boil.

Putting an unattended kettle on a timer is a recipe for disaster when it boils dry.

That got me curious about how the Cuisinart PerfecTemp performed on something similar. I measured out 4 cups (32 oz), loaded 'er up, and let 'er rip.

- 3:39 to reach 200F (according to the auto-shutoff)
- 4:07 to boil
That is interesting to note. The Cuisinart PerfecTemp consumes 50% more power - 1500 watts of power vs 1000 watts. While the Bonavita will take nearly 50% longer to boil - 5:57 vs 4:07.

Top Bottom