What's new

Fire hose question

I got a piece of fire hose from a member here after hearing how great the old hose works. I was surprised at how thick and stiff it is. Maybe I'm just use to leather and linen but is it suppose to be that way?
I'm reluctant to use something so stiff as I'm afraid of hurting my blades.

Have never used firehose but have heard positive things, lately I have just been doing 50 laps on leather for the preshave and then 25/25 on flax linen and leather post shave and it's been good.

Never used it, but fire hose is indeed very stiff and a rough weave.

Just ask these guys.

proxy.php

I have a piece of fire hose that I've used a bit. I never had any damage to edges while using it, but I stopped because I did not like the feel and sound of it. I think I will revisit it as I've been using a coarser strop since Feb. and my tastes may have changed.

I have used one for about 7-8 months and use it whenever I strop. It is loud, it is stiff, but I believe it improves the edge prior to the leather stropping. I purchased mine from a guy on eBay selling 2 foot sections for razor stropping - I created a strop out of it and it works well. It has broken in a bit with use.

First thing I did when I got mine was that I sew the both end pieces and threw it in a washing machine. Then I boiled it for 2-3 times á 30-45min with softener. Don't get scared of the stiffness cuz flax linnen imbebes water like crazy. It's normal and it will soften in time or when it dries.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom