What's new

My find at an Ontario Walmart!

I went into the Walmart in Alliston tonight and checked the shaving section for any sales. I always look to see if Aqua Velva is on sale, so as I skimmed the shelves something that wasn't there last week caught my eye. I actually had to get closer to make sure that I was seeing correctly. There was a DE shaving set consisting of a razor with blade, dish, brush and stand sitting there! It's got the Wahl name on the box. I know it's not the best quality, but this is the first DE shaving supplies I've found in a local store that wasn't a dollar store. It took me a couple of passes through the razor blades before I found Wilkinson Sword blades for sale as well.

i know those things weren't there just last weekend because I check that area weekly. Maybe the word is getting out to more stores that there could be a profit in stocking those goods. It's a start.

I tried attaching pictures but they show up way too large and I don't know how to resize them on the iPad.

The shaving set was $29.96 and a 5 pack of the blades was $5.88. I think the same pack of blades sells at my local discount store for $2.00.

I have the same blades at 5.88 here at Walmart, BC too. At Shoppers they are 10-15 dollars, so I was happy to see 5.88....far more realistic given the deals on Astra and such online. I bought a pack and they feel close to the Astra SP, imo. Nice find.

Does Van der Hagen get distributed in Canada?
VdH has staked out a nice little niche in my local chain drugstores.
I live in a small town so there is extremely little to choose from. As far as I know, there is only one store in Toronto that actually specializes in grooming goods AND that you can walk into. There is a limited selection of anything except cartridge razors and blades, and canned foam or gel, anywhere. That razor in the set is the first DE razor, other than a Junjie I was surprised to find at my local discount store, available in-store. There are several online sites where we can purchase.

I myself have never seen VdH in any store, but it is available from at least one Canadian online site. I do see Proraso soaps available at Shoppers Drug Mart, and Williams and Wilkinson soaps are available in quite a few places. The only brush I've ever seen available in any store is the Wilkinson Sword boar. I'm on my second of those after wearing out the first, and it's actually my favourite of all I own.

I have the same blades at 5.88 here at Walmart, BC too. At Shoppers they are 10-15 dollars, so I was happy to see 5.88....far more realistic given the deals on Astra and such online. I bought a pack and they feel close to the Astra SP, imo. Nice find.

Guess it's a Canada wide thing. 5.88 at the Walmart and 15.99 at Shoppers here in NS as well.

I order my stuff online. Can't beat the price difference, especially with the "gouging" that Shoppers seems to practice lately...

Ha! Was just in a Walmart in Cobourg and couldnt resist!

$20160924_113016.jpg

$20160924_113209.jpg

I see Van Der Hagen sets EVERYWHERE around here, grocery stores, drug stores, Target, Walmart. Usually around 24 bucks.

That's pretty nice! I've never seen that set before.

But we have VDH here as well--Target, Walmart, Walgreens. I was standing in the shave section at Target a while ago and started talking to a guy who was holding the VDH safety razor. I told him there was tons of stuff online and he should check out sites like italianbarber.com, westcoastshaving, and this website if he was interested in traditional wet shaving. I wonder if he ever followed up.

Now that I'm home and playing with it a bit, it seems actually not bad! The razor certainly doesn't feel cheap, and 'Wahl' is etched into the head plate. The brush seems a little cheap, but I probably will only just try it once anyway.

Top Bottom