What's new

Equipment- encoder? What's this?

In our mess hall, chefs use large equipment to transport food which I am not sure how you call it- It says they need to change a specific part which you call an encoder! Do you know any provider that we can contact to get help?

There are a few guys here with kitchen experience. Perhaps if you can show us a photo of the machine which you are talking about or provide a more detailed description, someone may be able to help you.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Sounds like you are talking about large heated holding carts. I'd go to the manufacturer or local distributor. An encoder is a sensor of sorts. Usually parts are available for institutional kitchen equipment.

There are a few guys here with kitchen experience. Perhaps if you can show us a photo of the machine which you are talking about or provide a more detailed description, someone may be able to help you.

I am working in a military base and taking of photo is strictly prohibited. But I will try to sneak around and send you some photo. Anyway, my friend privately sent this provider, do you think this one could help? Thank you!

I am working in a military base and taking of photo is strictly prohibited. But I will try to sneak around and send you some photo. Anyway, my friend privately sent this provider, do you think this one could help? Thank you!

No need to put yourself at risk by trying to take a photo. Surely someone in the kitchen area has responsibility for the upkeep of the equipment?

I don't anything about kitchens, but as an engineer I can give a basic description of an encoder.

When most people talk about encoders, they mean rotary encoders. This is a sensor system that tracks the rotation of a shaft using light or magnets. Imagine a disc with hole cut out along the edge, kind of like the window in a ViewMaster disc. There is an LED on one side of the disc and a photosensor on the other side. Each time the photosensor gets hit with the light, it indicates a turn of X degrees where X is 360/(# of windows). That is an optical encoder.

Magnetic encoders usually use a series of magnets of alternating polarity on a ring. The sensor detects the polarity switch and uses a similar formula to track rotation.

I have no idea what that is used for in a kitchen. I guess if your transport equipment was motorized, it could be a feedback loop to make sure that multiple motors stay in synch, which would keep it moving in a straight line.

Last edited:
Top Bottom