What's new

Owning Vintage Shaving Gear from Local Areas

Many folks here have tons of vintage items in their shaving dens. I realized I didn't own any and I went thru the rabbit hole of satisfying this need. This is a repost from the CEC brotherhood thread but I wanted to know if others have other stories since I would love to hear about them.

I decided to get a straight that originated from where I live. I've lived in NJ since I was 5 and right now living in Jersey City. I found this one on eBay in pretty solid condition:
proxy.php

proxy.php

So a few things that are interesting about the razor. This is a German made razor that was made for Schmitt Bros. I wonder who produced the razor for Schmitt Bros. After some google searching, Schmitt Bros. was a local barber supplier on 293 Plane, Newark NJ. I found this in the Newark Business Directoryfrom 1914. Oddly enough, the scanned version of the directory is a collection at the University of Illinois. I can see references to the business from 1909 - 1915 but nothing more. Unfortunately, there is nothing more listed about the company.

After some google searching, Wikipedia informed me that Plane Street was renamed to University Avenue. Assuming that housing numbers never changed, the location of Schmitt Bros. is now part of Essex County College.

Now here is the biggest kicker. Out of all the places the razor is right now, it is being shipped from Romania to come back to its home in NJ. I wonder what that journey was like for this little bugger.

During my search I found a few others, but this one was in the best condition and closest to where I am now. I also find it fascinating that it is a German made razor for a local barber supply shop which seems fitting. I have my doubts about the scales being original since they look to be newer but who knows.

Since I told ya my story, let's hear yours!

Nice looking razor! I have not seen any from my area, but it would be something fun to look for. I have a CA Johnson from the same time period that was made in Germany for the company which was in New Haven, Connecticut.

Lucky Tiger began in the 20's in Kansas City. I have an old glass LT bottle with raised letters on it that says Kansas City on it. Living just outside that area, I think that's pretty cool.

I also have a Curtin & Clark Cutley Co. straight razor from St Joseph, MO.

Thanks [MENTION=94244]sskim3[/MENTION] :) so after seeing this I had to search online. Found a Pittsburgh company razor, made in Germany of course and had to buy it. Turns out the comany is still around, although I'm not sure if they still make straights. They are a barber/stylist supply company. I'll post pictures and company info when I get it next week. It's a Edlis Barber Supply Co. Special Junior 11/16. Needs a little clean up, but looks decent.

That's pretty awesome. Razor looks great, too.

Mine isn't as exciting. I picked up a Valet autostropper earlier this year that's in a promotional case for Woody's Service Station in Columbus, OH. I live just outside of the area so I thought it was pretty neat. I haven't been able to find out anything about the business though.

Thanks @sskim3 :) so after seeing this I had to search online. Found a Pittsburgh company razor, made in Germany of course and had to buy it. Turns out the comany is still around, although I'm not sure if they still make straights. They are a barber/stylist supply company. I'll post pictures and company info when I get it next week. It's a Edlis Barber Supply Co. Special Junior 11/16. Needs a little clean up, but looks decent.

That is awesome! Love inspiring more purchases for you guys! Looking forward to seeing the razor!

That's pretty awesome. Razor looks great, too.

Mine isn't as exciting. I picked up a Valet autostropper earlier this year that's in a promotional case for Woody's Service Station in Columbus, OH. I live just outside of the area so I thought it was pretty neat. I haven't been able to find out anything about the business though.

Still very cool! Is the service station still active? That would be even cooler :)

So my razor finally came in yesterday. I say finally, but really it only took like 3 days. It's not the prettiest razor ever, but I think that with some love it will turn out rather nice. The pins are loose and the scales shift when you open it, so I will wait until I get a chance to clean it up, repin, and hone before I take it for a test run. The Edlis Barber Supply Co. is still around. They have been in Pittsburgh for almost 125 years. They still supply barbers and beauty salons. I checked on their website and they do have strops, brushes, soaps, and hot lather machines! Some other gear too. They mention a fine line of cutlery, but there are no images or descriptions online. So I am not sure if they still sell straight razors. Here are some pictures of the razor. Sorry if the quality is bad, they were taken on a cell phone. $20160926_173406.jpg$20160926_173418.jpg$20160926_173501.jpg$20160926_173517.jpg$20160926_173522.jpg

That's wonderful! I hope it cleans up nice. I am sure it will give you many great shaves and good memories. Awesome stuff!

I grew up about a half an hour from Bradford PA, and now live just over the hill from it. If you didn't know, Bradford is the home of Zippo and Case. I recently acquired a mint condition Case Red Point straight razor from a local antique mall.

$IMG_20160916_164801_953.jpg

Nice looking razor there. Bradford was a nice little town! I haven't been there in a long time. I wish I was into shaving back then. The Zippo factory was fun though.

Top Bottom