What's new

The Pea Coat

$the-last-detail3.jpg

I have been reading up on the history of the peacoat. Interesting stuff I must admit. I had a Navy surplus Pea coat when I was a young lad and I am considering getting another.

I was trying some on in Auburn, NY at the Surplus Store. I forget how toasty those coats were.
My belief is that the pockets are designed to warm cold hands that are wet from pulling rope. They wouldn't be good for too much else. Did your research say?
I think mine was from an Army Navy surplus store in Springfield NJ.

My belief is that the pockets are designed to warm cold hands that are wet from pulling rope. They wouldn't be good for too much else. Did your research say?
I think mine was from an Army Navy surplus store in Springfield NJ.

Many folks say they are positioned funny, but this is by design as you say(purely utilitarian) and it is also not customary for military personnel to comfortably put their hands in garment pockets for prolonged periods of time. The A-2 flight jacket has no pockets designed for the hands.

Last edited:
I've been thinking of taking mine out of storage, with its silver buttons and all. When they issued it to me, it fit like a pup tent, and after boot camp I was stationed in California, so it got no use there. I finished up with two years in Pittsburgh, so I haven't worn it since January of 1982. Should fit me better now.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I had a WWII surplus one back in college, it disappeared somewhere along the road years ago. About 5 years back somebody mentioned how warm they were, so I went out and bought a real melton wool one $$$. I don't know if I'm in style (the question itself begs the answer I guess) but boy is it warm. That is an outdoors coat, not a house to car to heated building coat.

Top Bottom