What's new

Returning to the world of DE.

So I was lucky enough to try a box of straight razors from the thread started by SR ambassador Doc. But it's time for them to move on to the next fella. I have to say returning to my DE razor last night kind felt like grey clouds and a sad band following me around. Now I had a great shave, which is always a nice evening. But it was missing that Je ne sais pas that I had trying out the straights. Looks like I might have to do some shopping in the near future. :thumbup:

Welcome to the "dark" side! I had been DE shaving for 1.5 years with a small rotation of 3-5 DE razors at anytime. I went thru Doc's box, and now I have 10+ straights in a matter of 2 months. The AD is strong and vast with straights.

Good luck with the journey!

Ill echo what Tom said. Love my DEs, and shaved with them for two years before trying SRs. Now im always a little disappointed if I dont have time for the SR shave. Time for you to talk to Larry over at WD!

I made the switch several years ago and now only rotate thru my very small collection of vintage DE/SE razors on Old Spice Sunday.

Welcome aboard! I only use my DE when absolutely necessary, which is basically only when I travel for long periods.

Paul, I hope you kept a straight! If not, please let me send you one. :thumbup:
What he said. If you don't have one (or need another to keep going) speak up so we can keep you armed. I seriously want to see that horsebutt strop get some use.

EDIT: ...and tell Chad (@cvargo) to get on the ball and commit to giving a try too.

That is the problem with straights. Once you learn how to shave with a straight, shaving with anything else feels like you are missing something. It is about two months since I started my box. At the time, I was content with my SE razors and 12 stick box of Arko. I now have 5 straights, 3 DEs, and lots of soap and creams. Welcome to SR shaving!

Ciderguy, what kind of best shave you have with straights on scale from DFS to BBS and how you compare it with your SE? Can you achive BBS with straight without going ATG (WTG and XTG only)?

Paul, I hope you kept a straight! If not, please let me send you one. :thumbup:

Doc, I was planning on sending all 4 along. And I appreciate your never ending generosity. Don't you worry, I'm going to be in contact with our friend Larry at WD pretty soon. :drool::straight:

Ciderguy, what kind of best shave you have with straights on scale from DFS to BBS and how you compare it with your SE? Can you achive BBS with straight without going ATG (WTG and XTG only)?

I've never achieved BBS without at least 3 passes. I define a pass as one lather and one stroke of steel across whiskers. I almost always need a 4th touch up pass to get to BBS. I always shave ATG. I'll do a quick two pass WTG & ATG shave when I'm pressed for time. I find the ATG pass to generally be more smooth and effortless than the XTG pass. I've only had one BBS shave with a SE that was last Sunday with my Shovel Head and took four passes. I shaved exclusively with SEs almost to two years, and often two or more times per day.

I end up with DFS or BBS shaves almost every time I pick up a SR. I started SR shaving in mid-July. Compared to a SE a SR provides a less irritating and smoother shave for me. I also don't have issues with ingrown hairs with the SR. I'm very prone to ingrown hairs, and the SR (and possibly an injector I'm testing some right now) is the only shaving method that doesn't leave me with at least 3-4 per week. I've been very happy about the SRs. I'm always excited to shave with my straights.

I think trying out SR shaving is very valuable. It forces you to learn proper technique. My ability to make great lather has improved. My stretching is now consistent. I have a better idea of beard growth direction. My SE shaves improved because I learned how to shave with a SR.

Doc, I was planning on sending all 4 along. And I appreciate your never ending generosity. Don't you worry, I'm going to be in contact with our friend Larry at WD pretty soon. :drool::straight:

Don't delay. Larry's good looking affordable SRs don't last very long! I saw one two days ago that I was waffling on, and it is gone now.

Thanks a lot for detailed response.I've done 15 shaves with SR. I think I need to try even lighter touch then with SE .

Thanks a lot for detailed response.I've done 15 shaves with SR. I think I need to try even lighter touch then with SE .

My SR mantra is no pressure, shallow angle, no pressure, shallow angle . . . It works for me as long as the razor is very sharp. I touch up on pasted balsa at least every 7 shaves, and I'm thinking of adding a finishing stone to my den so I can keep everything nice and sharp at home.

Well that "je ne sais quoi" has a simple name ..virus ! And you got it all !!��
Enjoy the journey !!

Top Bottom