What's new

School me on Adjustomatic pipe stems!

I recently acquired a few new-to-me pipes, and among them was a VanRoy Adjustomatic. I'd heard of Adjustomatic Dr. Grabow pipes before, but never really looked too far into them.

Well, my VanRoy has piqued my interest. The stem isn't quite on straight, as is the story with another screw in no-name I own (likely a second from and unknown manufacturer). Am I to understand that if I continue turning the stem on the Adjustomatic that I can eventually spin it all the way around and back to being straight again?

The VanRoy is the one at the bottom.
View attachment 690232

I would appreciate any information you guys might have regarding this, as well as any other interesting tidbits about screw-in stems on other pipes. Thanks!

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Since no one has seen fit to be courteous enough to try and answer your question I'll chime in.

I don't have a clue about screw-in stems.

Never had one and don't know a thing about them. Interesting though...apparently not that common now days...in my limited experience.

I have a Dr. Grabow El Dorado which has a screw in stem. My guess is that the threaded part is probably glued into the stem. I would be wary about forcing it all the way around to get it aligned. That is, unless you want to use it as a guinea pig pipe, then I say go for it.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
In theory, yes. But I would not force one that didn't turn fairly easily. Gunk, time and/ or corrosion of the metal portion may not allow it to function as intended.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Something that I did to realign a screw in stem was to build up by trial and error layers of aluminum HVAC tape to form a custom "washer" by folding over layers of aluminum tape to the required thickness, then punching a hole in the center with a paper hole puncher. Then trim the edges away with a sharp knife to be flush with the stem. worked great and looks like it belongs there.

Top Bottom