What's new

Old man smell

Okay to protect my identity I'm going to activate the voice changer...

proxy.php

Here I go, I'm a few months away from turning 49. I have never been a person who sweats a lot and B.O. wasn't an issue. I just used a regular deodorant and life was fine. But over the last year my B.O. has become more pungent. I notice some days that I still have a faint odor right after a shower. My soap is Lever 2000 and before this has always done the job. I have stepped up to using Mitchum deodorant so I'm not walking around smelling like a locker room but it is driving me nuts. I'm starting to smell like my grandpa!

I don't know if my body chemistry is changing as I'm getting older or maybe it is my nose getting more sensitive.

I'm heading over to read some soap threads and I think I saw a deodorant thread some where.

A few years ago, I started shaving my armpits. I use less deodorant, and there is no smell no matter how much I sweat. BO is caused by bacteria, which hang onto the armpit hair. No hair, no BO. It was difficult to get used to, but it's normal now and I love it.

Here I thought it was old age setting in. I moved around the same time. I wonder if it is an environmental issue?

It would be worth using alum under your arms while you're still damp after a shower. It's not an antiperspirant, but it is very effective at stopping the growth of bacteria. You can also get "purpose made" equivalents like Pitrock, but they're really the same product in different packaging.

as above, drink more fluids.
and mention to your doc at next annual physical, since it might be indicative of some other change in the body.

Smoking and excessive alcohol intake can lead to bad body odors too (just ask me). Body chemistry does change, but the best advice is fomr sarimento1 and that's to see you MD. Body odor can also be signs of serious problems too.

Wow, I was expecting replies along the lines of "Yeah me too" or "Sure when I hit 50 things changed. I guess I'll mention it to the doc next visit. It really isn't bad just different.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
+1 the alum underarm block, and throw in world-conquering Giorgio Beverly Hills pour homme cologne.

AA

Wow, I was expecting replies along the lines of "Yeah me too" or "Sure when I hit 50 things changed. I guess I'll mention it to the doc next visit. It really isn't bad just different.
Well, smells and how we smell what we smell change as we age, that is true. I definitely don't smell the same as I did when I was 21, but my diet and habits have changed considerably since then too. I don't get quite the rank BO I used to have as a teen, but I can recognize mine (and my wife's) scent. That's one of the reasons I love this hobby/obsession is that I get these great scents to complement/mask what I've got going on naturally. If your smell is objectionable to yourself, though, that can be a bad thing. I see a doctor about 500% more often these days than I used to as well.

It would be worth using alum under your arms while you're still damp after a shower. It's not an antiperspirant, but it is very effective at stopping the growth of bacteria. You can also get "purpose made" equivalents like Pitrock, but they're really the same product in different packaging.
+1
You can also use things like crystal deodorants instead of alum on your face. If the only ingredient is potassium alum, it is the same product and often comes in a convenient plastic tube.

Crystal deodorant was a game changer for me:
proxy.php

That and cleaning up the armpits with clippers helps. Like mentioned earlier, lessens the substrate for bacteria to adhere too. As we get older we do sweat less which decreases our ability to regulate our body temperature when heated, apparently that's not the issue yet [emoji4]
Diet could be a culprit, not so much what you've changed but more like it starting to catch up to you, if you know what I mean. Getting old sucks ! [emoji106]

~Royce

Crystal deodorant was a game changer for me:
proxy.php

That and cleaning up the armpits with clippers helps. Like mentioned earlier, lessens the substrate for bacteria to adhere too. As we get older we do sweat less which decreases our ability to regulate our body temperature when heated, apparently that's not the issue yet [emoji4]
Diet could be a culprit, not so much what you've changed but more like it starting to catch up to you, if you know what I mean. Getting old sucks ! [emoji106]

~Royce

I use this with a few spritzes of Superior 70 bay rum.

+1

Top Bottom