What's new

I Blame Mr Ouch

So I was listening to a B&B podcast recently, and enjoyed the interview of our Esteemed Mr Ouch. In it he said he got into pipes because he didn't always have time for a cigar. Made perfect sense to me. After reading the suggested threads, plus a few others, I went to the tobacconist today. After discussing with them, I bought a machined La Rocca, and three sampler tobaccos you see pictured here. I've tried two bowls of the Sam Galwith Skiff, and enjoy it immensely. At their suggestion, I'll finish that before sampling the others.
$IMG_1754.jpg$IMG_1751.jpg

Nice! I've been picking up my pipe lately as well. I really like Samuel Gawith tobaccos. Squadron Leader, Navy Flake, Skiff mixture, and Full Virginia Flake are all excellent. Enjoy your new hobby!

Ouch is well known as a bad influence in these parts.

I'm very impressionable.

Nice! I've been picking up my pipe lately as well. I really like Samuel Gawith tobaccos. Squadron Leader, Navy Flake, Skiff mixture, and Full Virginia Flake are all excellent. Enjoy your new hobby!

Thank you, I believe I will. Sometimes I want to have a few puffs and put it down. Easier with a pipe than a cigar.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
If they didn't tell you, SG blends tend to be a bit moist, and benefit from some drying time. Portion some on a plate and let it sit for 15 minutes or so.

You blame Ouch. Which one?

That's always the question, isn't it?

This evening I let the tobacco sit out for 20-25 minutes before lighting. Worked much better. Stopped and bought a "soft" refillable butane on the way home from work. Much easier than fussing with matches. Can't seem to adjust flame - it's either out or on full. What did I expect for $4? Will probably upgrade over the weekend.

Last edited:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Very nice looking pipe Bruce. Looks almost like my rusticated Savinelli Prince style. I think you'll enjoy it.

Stopped and bought a "soft" refillable butane on the way home from work. Much easier than fussing with matches. Can't seem to adjust flame - it's either out or on full. What did I expect for $4? Will probably upgrade over the weekend.

These have worked well for me for a few years.

proxy.php

Very nice looking pipe Bruce. Looks almost like my rusticated Savinelli Prince style. I think you'll enjoy it.

These have worked well for me for a few years.

proxy.php

So far, I like it a lot.

I may got with a Bic, but I'd really like to buy a lighter just once.

I've owned many lighters trying to find the supreme lighter for pipes. Not to be braggadocios but I have a $160 IM Corona, a handful of $20 or less antique lighters, a $15 jetline pipe lighter, a Xikar Pipeline, and Bics. 98% of the time the $15 Jetline or a Bic is what I use. I hate the Xikar but don't mind it getting tossed around and banged up. I used the Corona about 5 times and each time was afraid to scuff or scratch it. The antiques are nice and fun, but the Jetline holds a lot of fuel, consistent flame, and the Bics are great because they are cheap, I love when a new design comes out and I can grab it for $1.50 and I honestly don't think I've ever ran a Bic out of fuel.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
So far, I like it a lot.

I may got with a Bic, but I'd really like to buy a lighter just once.

Ah! The rabbit hole deepens. :001_smile

Next you will need a nice tamper/pipe tool so you won't have to use the old Czech tool, then a pipe carry case that holds your pipe, 'baccy, cleaners, pipe tool, etc.

Then you will need a small tobacco pouch to carry your daily tobacco in (I just got a mini one a few months ago that fits nicely in a shirt pocket), and I just put a small pipe in my car that will also fit in a shirt pocket instead of carrying the man purse thing of an entire carry/travel case.

And you just HAVE to pick up some more pipes, eventually venturing into estate pipes...and exponentially expand your tobacco cellar.

Then you will need something to keep your cellared tobacco in...and a place to put it.

THEN you will need a pipe rack for your pipes...I just got a nice wooden 12 pipe lazy susan type pipe rack last Christmas that has the tobacco jar in the middle.

Welcome to the club!!! :thumbup:

Next you will need a nice tamper/pipe tool so you won't have to use the old Czech tool, then a pipe carry case that holds your pipe, 'baccy, cleaners, pipe tool, etc.

Then you will need a small tobacco pouch to carry your daily tobacco in (I just got a mini one a few months ago that fits nicely in a shirt pocket), and I just put a small pipe in my car that will also fit in a shirt pocket instead of carrying the man purse thing of an entire carry/travel case.

And you just HAVE to pick up some more pipes, eventually venturing into estate pipes...and exponentially expand your tobacco cellar.

Then you will need something to keep your cellared tobacco in...and a place to put it.

THEN you will need a pipe rack for your pipes...I just got a nice wooden 12 pipe lazy susan type pipe rack last Christmas that has the tobacco jar in the middle.

You forgot carving your own pipes! :lol:

FULL DISCLOSURE: I ordered a zippered reinforced leather bag from Etsy this morning. Tomorrow I will run out to the tobacconist to check out their lighters - can't believe I left without one yesterday. I'm happy with the pipe nail I have, and have no plans to buy more pipes or tobacco now. I don't know whether or not this was an omen, but as I sat on the patio enjoying a bowl of the SG Skiff a few minutes ago, a rabbit was bounding around in the yard. :001_huh:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
but as I sat on the patio enjoying a bowl of the SG Skiff a few minutes ago, a rabbit was bounding around in the yard. :001_huh:

Stick a fork in your butt...you're done. :biggrin1:

It's really not that expensive...especially if you ask for stuff for Christmas or Birthdays and things. I've made out like a bandit. I too also just finished off a bowl in my Italian Savinelli a bit ago.

Now you need an Irish Peterson and an early Lane Era English Charatan estate pipe...and...and...and.

It is nice sitting out on the back porch watching wildlife while smoking a bowl, isn't it? There was a little doe a couple of weeks ago that seemed to like the smell of my pipe 'baccy. And yes, I get the facetiousness of the rabbit...unless you really saw one.

Pictures or it didn't happen. :lol:

Strangely enough...one of my cats likes to sit with me in the easy chair while I burn a bowl. She really likes sitting on the back deck with me and will get up on the roof above me sometimes where the pipe smoke wafts up to her.

Strange cat.

Yup...you're done.

Edit: Brown Leaf badge.

I'm not an enabler...really I'm not.

Last edited:
Stick a fork in your butt...you're done. :biggrin1:

It is nice sitting out on the back porch watching wildlife while smoking a bowl, isn't it? There was a little doe a couple of weeks ago that seemed to like the smell of my pipe 'baccy. And yes, I get the facetiousness of the rabbit...unless you really saw one.

Pictures or it didn't happen. :lol:

Strangely enough...one of my cats likes to sit with me in the easy chair while I burn a bowl. She really likes sitting on the back deck with me and will get up on the roof above me sometimes where the pipe smoke wafts up to her.

Strange cat.

Yup...you're done.

Edit: Brown Leaf badge.

I'm not an enabler...really I'm not.

There really was a rabbit, maybe even two, but it was too dark to tell, or to take pictures. I enjoy watching the backyard wildlife, listening to the birds, very relaxing.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Hey! I don't cost you money, I save you money. Now you can smoke twenty cents worth of pipe tobacco instead of a six dollar cigar.

Lighters? Here's the greatest disposable lighter ever made. I don't know how they do it, but they manage to pack enough fuel into it for a Mars landing. I have one that's been used for fifteen years.

proxy.php

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Ouch is the supreme being of enabling

I prefer to think of it as life improving. If recommending a knife that will provide more service than a twice as expensive block of knives, a cut of meat tastier than filet mignon (quick answer: almost any of them), an inexpensive wine as good as a first growth Bordeaux, or cheaper and better alternatives for a variety of hobbies is enabling, so be it.

Hey! I don't cost you money, I save you money. Now you can smoke twenty cents worth of pipe tobacco instead of a six dollar cigar.

Lighters? Here's the greatest disposable lighter ever made. I don't know how they do it, but they manage to pack enough fuel into it for a Mars landing. I have one that's been used for fifteen years.

proxy.php

Thank you for having our best interests at heart!

I've never seen those particular lighters in shops around here, though I haven't really looked that hard yet.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I second the Jet Line lighter. Works as well as a much more expensive lighter, and is under $20.

I need to start pipe smoking soon. Just a lurker on the pipe threads currently. Almost ready to do it. But I enjoy cigars too much. Never thought about it as a means to get a quick smoke when there's not enough time for a proper cigar sitting. So, this thread may push me over the edge.

Top Bottom