What's new

I Blame Mr Ouch

I see you've been enjoying some good quality stuff! Have you had the opportunity to try some tobacco that's been aged a bit?

I see you've been enjoying some good quality stuff! Have you had the opportunity to try some tobacco that's been aged a bit?

No, I just started pipe smoking two weeks ago. The tobaccos I have were suggested by my tobacconist. I'll be back at the shop this weekend, when I'll get another sample or two. There are so many choices, so I'm just going with the tobacconist's suggestions for now.

I bought a new pipe today because, umm, I NEEDED one, of course. $IMG_1773.jpg
Savinelli unvarnished, and don't ask me about the shape, cause all I can say is it's a 1/4 curved, but I forgot to ask about the bowl. This is the LAST pipe I'll buy.

I bought a new pipe today because, umm, I NEEDED one, of course. View attachment 698920
Savinelli unvarnished, and don't ask me about the shape, cause all I can say is it's a 1/4 curved, but I forgot to ask about the bowl. This is the LAST pipe I'll buy.
Hey man, sounds like your off the deep end as well. I have smoked Cigars for years, and Have hundreds in humidors around the house. I honestly think I like a pipe more than a cigar, most of the time. When I want a good cigar, a pipe wont do. I dont know what brands you have tried, but McClellans Rum Toddy, Frog Morton. the FM Cellar and on the Bayou, are all great. Night cap and Early morning are both very good. Good luck lol

Hey man, sounds like your off the deep end as well. I have smoked Cigars for years, and Have hundreds in humidors around the house. I honestly think I like a pipe more than a cigar, most of the time. When I want a good cigar, a pipe wont do. I dont know what brands you have tried, but McClellans Rum Toddy, Frog Morton. the FM Cellar and on the Bayou, are all great. Night cap and Early morning are both very good. Good luck lol

Thanks,I've tried a couple of those. I seem to favor English blends.

DC MPA! Thank you! Long story short, I was given an IM Corona in 1982 by a very generous Japanese businessman... but had never known the mfg due to branding under the Pierre Balman label. Once it broke ten years later no one I'd asked knew where to have it repaired. Since then I'd stored it away and forgotten it. Now I Know! Thank You!!

If the lighter came to you in a similar way, use it. The memories of the one who gifted it to you will only become fonder in use.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I bought a new pipe today because, umm, I NEEDED one, of course. View attachment 698920

Nice! Where on earth did you find one of the Series III pipes? A couple of the members here have stained or finished theirs, but I love the look and feel of the virgin briar. Although, your looks like it has some beautiful birdseye going on, so it might look nice stained and buffed to bring out the grain pattern.

The shape looks like either a 606KS or a 677KS.

If that's the last pipe that you'll buy, then my hat's off to you. But, I have a feeling that after you smoke out of it, you'll be thinking of how to get your hands on another. :001_smile Congrats, on the new pipe, Bruce! Enjoy! :thumbup:

I got it at a local tobacconist for $57, which seemed very reasonable to me. He called it a "Rossi by Savinelli," and Savinelli's stamp is on it. It smokes very nicely. Have only used Medal of Valor in it so far.

Enjoyed a couple of bowls of SG Commonwealth Mixture today. Good tasting stuff. I have nine mason jars of different blends sitting in a dark corner of my closet now. Obviously, none have aged very much, but some are about 4-6 weeks. Already the Nightcap tastes smoother than when it was fresh. Replenished Dunhill 965 and SG Squadron Leader today. I'll try to ignore them for awhile as I finish up small quantities of other stuff.

Enjoyed a couple of bowls of SG Commonwealth Mixture today. Good tasting stuff. I have nine mason jars of different blends sitting in a dark corner of my closet now. Obviously, none have aged very much, but some are about 4-6 weeks. Already the Nightcap tastes smoother than when it was fresh. Replenished Dunhill 965 and SG Squadron Leader today. I'll try to ignore them for awhile as I finish up small quantities of other stuff.

How does the Dunhill 965 compare to Squadron Leader? I have some of the 965 but don't enjoy it too much. I put it in a mason jar to age and see if maybe my tastes will change but I have been curious if squadron leader would be more of a English blend that I would enjoy

How does the Dunhill 965 compare to Squadron Leader? I have some of the 965 but don't enjoy it too much. I put it in a mason jar to age and see if maybe my tastes will change but I have been curious if squadron leader would be more of a English blend that I would enjoy

Can you get a small supply locally? I think it's a bit smoother than 965, and slightly milder to my taste. Lots of folks here seem to like it.

Can you get a small supply locally? I think it's a bit smoother than 965, and slightly milder to my taste. Lots of folks here seem to like it.

No unfortunately my closest place to purchase Tobacco is about two hours away. Smoother does sound better maybe after all of the Christmas shopping I will try to pick up a tin online. Thanks for the response

I would agree that the VA in Squadron Leader makes it sweeter than 965, but it does follow a similar profile - meaning, if you don't like 965, I'm not sure SL is different enough. You might want to look at something like a Balkan: the Turkish leaf tends to complement Latakia well, and these types of blends are more noticeably different than 965.

I would agree that the VA in Squadron Leader makes it sweeter than 965, but it does follow a similar profile - meaning, if you don't like 965, I'm not sure SL is different enough. You might want to look at something like a Balkan: the Turkish leaf tends to complement Latakia well, and these types of blends are more noticeably different than 965.

Thank you for the advice Price. I'm still really new to pipe tobacco but what I find is that a part of me does enjoy the 965 but I feel like the latakia is a little over powering so I was hoping maybe SL would be a bit more mellow in the latakia department, and I heard through other resources that SL has a little less of a latakia kick

Top Bottom