What's new

The HolyBlack

I have recently come across a company called "The HolyBlack". They seem to be a cool group, but have a very small store, especially for shaving. I hope they get bigger and start some sort of regular production styled things. They seem to be another artisan only type thing. Has anyone dealt with them or their products? I bought a soap and face moisturizer tonic from them. I got them both in their "Gunpowder smoke" scent. They have really interesting stuff and their scent "flavors" seem to be more or less one of a kind. Let me know guys! And as always.....POST PICS if you have any of their stuff.

I have their gold rush roap. It's nice, smells like a peppermint candy. I'm just not into croaps too much but the presentation is excellent. The container reminds me of MWF.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
SR-71 slant owner:

Like it a lot- super aggressive- look at that blade gap on the right! Gets undernose very very well.

That said; it's heavy as heck:

Their soaps are decent; large size, middle-of-the-pack performance.

AA

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought the SR71 Slant a while back and it is by far my favorite razor. Never ever gives me a bad shave. I highly recommend.

Thanks guys! Im glad someone else has come across them and liked them enough to try. I really think their products are cool. I'm on the email lists for when some of their stuff becomes available. I'd really like to grab a porcelain dish of theirs as well. Does anyone know of any other dealers that carry their stuff?

Alright, got my package yesterday. Was able to use the moisturizer which, unfortunately seemed to go on greasey and left a little bit of a film for a while after. But it did give a warming sensation that lasted. The scent was not overpowering at all, almost seemed commercial to me, because I was expecting an artisan type style to have stronger tones, though it was mild. I haven't had a chance to try the croap yet, but it too boasted a mild, unthreatening scent. Nice packaging, they even threw in one of their logo shop towels which I thought was very nice touch, because I wanted one, but couldn't pull the trigger at $10 for a shop rag that I would never use for anything other than background for pictures and a cool shelf type piece. I was happy with their service and everything was very smooth and accommodating. Here's a picture of my order.
$THB.jpg

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Yeah, think they're known for freebies- got a soap sample and shop towel with my order (but it was over $50).

they had a very cool pirate themed soap last month, had gold or silver in it, sold out quick.

AA

Yeah, think they're known for freebies- got a soap sample and shop towel with my order (but it was over $50).

they had a very cool pirate themed soap last month, had gold or silver in it, sold out quick.

AA

Dang! you were able to get that?! By the time I had found them, they were sold out of that and the goldrush soaps, so I settled for their "run of the mill" artisan line. I hate knowing that I barely missed it! How is it? Did you dig for your metal piece? I'd be worried that I'd load it into my brush then lose it. I haven't had a chance to use it yet, is it a thirsty product?

Was able to try the croap a little bit ago. I found it very similar in lathering to Sudsy Soapery. They both have a lighter fluff to them, and a little bit airy. Although, the HB was a much firmer material to start with, and I found passed the slick test a little better than SS. So I would say the end result is that it's a good soap not a great soap. For the amount that I received, I feel that I didn't get ripped off. I feel that it held its value money wise, and maybe even more so if you consider the size of the tub. So if anyone were to want to try them as well, I'd give them the go ahead with the disclaimer that the description leads you to think that its going to have a stronger scent than it actually does. It's much more mild than I expected. Performance wise, I would tell them it is worth the money. You'll get MANY good shaves out of a single tub. :thumbup1:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Dang! you were able to get that?! By the time I had found them, they were sold out of that and the goldrush soaps, so I settled for their "run of the mill" artisan line. I hate knowing that I barely missed it! How is it? Did you dig for your metal piece? I'd be worried that I'd load it into my brush then lose it. I haven't had a chance to use it yet, is it a thirsty product?

No; got the e-mail and was tempted- but have like 30 soaps at this point (including samples). Yet to finish a whole one of them.

Also, though the SR-71 slant razor is the bomb - used it today - I think their soaps are about average. Did use/kill the sample of smoke/spice soap; it was alright. Soaps like MdC, Saponifica Verisono, Sudsy Soapery, Tabac, and Valobra are, well, better for me.

AA

I tried their Ramiro Gin and Fizz. It's a sweet scent, much like the drink. I toke a bit to do a shave and I PIFed the rest to the sample passaround. I got a good shave with it but I would like to have more to dial it in.

No; got the e-mail and was tempted- but have like 30 soaps at this point (including samples). Yet to finish a whole one of them.

Also, though the SR-71 slant razor is the bomb - used it today - I think their soaps are about average. Did use/kill the sample of smoke/spice soap; it was alright. Soaps like MdC, Saponifica Verisono, Sudsy Soapery, Tabac, and Valobra are, well, better for me.

AA
So far, I haven't experimented with many soaps, but I have tried a few different kinds; soap puck, glycerin puck, croap, and shave butter. So far, I hate to say it, but the shave butter seemed to perform the best for me. But it's just not exciting, lol. So I tend to lean toward the runner-ups which are soap pucks. The glycerin pucks (from mama bear's) aren't bad, they have fantastic scents but the glycerin just doesn't quite measure up to the actual soaps. If you get tired of any of your soaps, or just don't want them. PM me, i'll pay for shipping so that I can try them out if I haven't already.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
So far, I haven't experimented with many soaps, but I have tried a few different kinds; soap puck, glycerin puck, croap, and shave butter. So far, I hate to say it, but the shave butter seemed to perform the best for me. But it's just not exciting, lol. So I tend to lean toward the runner-ups which are soap pucks. The glycerin pucks (from mama bear's) aren't bad, they have fantastic scents but the glycerin just doesn't quite measure up to the actual soaps. If you get tired of any of your soaps, or just don't want them. PM me, i'll pay for shipping so that I can try them out if I haven't already.

Interesting. I did like Dr. Carver's Shave Butter, back when I was with the club, but that stuff clogs a cart pretty fast. DE is slightly better with it and those non-lathering creams like it (my wife finds Clubman's non-lathering shave cream excellent for legs).

Having a zillion soaps gives every day a chance to do something different, at least for the 5 minutes you get to shave. I'm using them all, albeit slowly. There are a few soap passarounds available, though.

Also, your perception of a soap can change with time (as with fragrances). I might go back and find some aspect in the Holy Black soaps that I haven't yet noticed. Face lathering and bowl lathering the same soap get different results, as do different brushes.

Soap/cream choice x brush choice x razor choice x blade choice x bowl/face lather choice = one might never get the same shave twice! See why you need 30 soaps? And four lifetimes. :lol:

AA

Also, your perception of a soap can change with time (as with fragrances). I might go back and find some aspect in the Holy Black soaps that I haven't yet noticed. Face lathering and bowl lathering the same soap get different results, as do different brushes.

Soap/cream choice x brush choice x razor choice x blade choice x bowl/face lather choice = one might never get the same shave twice! See why you need 30 soaps? And four lifetimes. :lol:

AA
I understand completely. Very well put. But something I found interesting is that you said "the 5 minutes you get to shave." Do you only have those short duration shaves with no indulging rituals? I had to get away from cartridges because my face just did not agree with them. I found myself getting the newest and "best" ones out there, paying upwards of $30 a razor with no refils and hated having my face touched. DE's saved me, lol. Once I had method down, my face feels so much better all the time and just flat out looks better, as well. The SR's...well...I'm still working on the form and experimenting with the two blades I have (one vintage and the other is a new RA). The RA is impeccable if I'm not rushing and am careful. But my vintage, although it came "shave ready", I'm questioning the edge because its tugging and always seem to find irritation that the RA doesn't give me. And I"ve used it less than 5 times, I believe. Absolutely <8. So i'm not sure what to do with it, because I'm such a beginner, I'm assuming its my technique and the angle requirements of a 5/8 vs a 6/8. As for the soaps, I was just offering if you wanted to get some off of your hands. The soap pass-arounds kind of creep me out. It would be one thing if it was a razor that I could sterilize/disinfect or a DE that I could just drop my own blade into. But the soap...eh....I don't wanna. :bored:

Top Bottom