What's new

Face-lathering with a cream?

I only face cream when I travel, D. R. Harris Arlington stick, great results. I'm thinking Speick in a tube might be a good travel cream. But how do I use it, with no bowl? Do I rub it on my face and then lather with my wet brush? Or do I snurdle the brush directly and go from there?

Either way is good, so try both and see which one works best for you.

Or there's an old trick I learned a long time ago-

If the place you're staying in has coffee making facilities, a coffee cup makes a good substitute for a bowl.

Paper or plastic cups cut to size work too, but foam cups are best because of the slightly rough texture

I prefer to apply the cream directly to fingers, smear it on my face, and then use the damp brush to remove any reside from my fingers. I've had mishaps with putting it directly on the brush or directly on my face where the cream ends up on the counter.

I prefer to apply the cream directly to fingers, smear it on my face, and then use the damp brush to remove any reside from my fingers.

I evenly smear it on my face too, after re-wetting it. Then build to an awesome lather.

Another option is hand lathering. Meaning, build the lather directly in your hand.

All of the afore mention methods are excellent. In the past I have either taken a bit of cream from the tube or tub and then distribute it into six or seven smears across my face and then spread it around evenly with the brush...OR...I take an almond size amount of cream place it in my brush and then distribute it on my face...then lather appropriately. Which ever way works of you.

All of the afore mention methods are excellent. In the past I have either taken a bit of cream from the tube or tub and then distribute it into six or seven smears across my face and then spread it around evenly with the brush...OR...I take an almond size amount of cream place it in my brush and then distribute it on my face...then lather appropriately. Which ever way works of you.

+1 to the first half of this. I have used this method while travelling and also with sample creams where the pots are too small to load the brush. Seems to work well enough. You shouldn't have any problem taking a tube of Speick on your journeys.

I prefer to apply the cream directly to fingers, smear it on my face, and then use the damp brush to remove any reside from my fingers. I've had mishaps with putting it directly on the brush or directly on my face where the cream ends up on the counter.

Same as me. I find that when I travel and use a synthetic brush if I put the cream directly on the brush it often falls to the counter.

I prefer face lathering both creams and soaps.
As others described, a rub cream directly on the face and then use wet brush to build lather.
After each pass, I splash a bit of war water and rub a some more cream.

I've always put the cream directly on my brush, then go to town face lathering. But there are no rules, just do it the way that makes the most sense to you.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
I do the same, Nick. Works very well for me.

I use the traditional Italo-Greek berber's method.
In a very damp brush i put an almond size piece of shaving cream inside(in the center)of my brush.
Then i swirl my brush over my beard and add water if needed.

All of the afore mention methods are excellent. In the past I have either taken a bit of cream from the tube or tub and then distribute it into six or seven smears across my face and then spread it around evenly with the brush...

This... If I put it on the brush I have had issues with it getting too deep into the knot and it just wouldn't lather as nicely...

A few small dabs of cream, one per cheek and 3 or 4 distributed in the neck area... well shaken out brush (wildly flying lather if too wet), starting a fairly dry lather distribution... and slowly add water until you have the desired consistency...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwaM_usNBcg

Go to 4:00 minutes in... you can see what I mean

Hope that helps

Top Bottom