What's new

Newb looking for advice

So I have been DE and SE shaving for about 8 months now and love every minute of it. Well I am now ready to take the plunge and buy a straight. I will be going with the sight unseen from whipped dog since It seems to be a trend for beginners. I was wondering if anyone has anyother advice for me? whether it be other equipment I need like a strop or honing stones or technique tips. I did explore the Straight razor FAQ sheet and learned a lot from it. I am sure this will become another addiction and I will need to buy a second so what do you guys recommend for a second straight? Preferably one under $120. I know I am getting ahead of myself but I know myself well enough that I will push through the learning curve and stick to the method of shaving. Probably making this my main way of shaving!:w00t:

Last edited by a moderator:

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
You'll need a strop, and to begin with I'd buy 2 from Larry, or get a honed Gold Dollar from Scott (lifestooshort1971 IIRC). Scott includes extra honing too. While,you're learning the ropes, you can research your higher end razor.

If you want to jump in, Ralf Aust always gets good marks for value and quality.

Cheers, Steve

While you are ordering the sight unseen razor, go ahead and order a poor man's strop kit. You will need a strop, and they do the job. I ordered the kit with a spare for when I eventually screw up the first one.

A strop is needed for sure. The poor man from Larry is decent enough to get you by at first and when you cut into it, you won't mind so much. You could buy two at first, or wait and see how you do with it. I picked up stropping pretty fast, so I went from the poor man to a much nicer one after I had the technique down. I didn't cut mine up too bad while learning.

For under $120, you probably are going to have to go with Ralph Aust. You might be able to find a base Boker or Dovo at that price too. You could always get a 2nd sight unseen, or sometimes Larry has nicer blades for sale on his site for around $60. My first 3 razors were sight unseen, vintage Boker, and Wade and Butcher all from Larry. Once I got the hang of it, I was willing to spend more on my first new blade. That allowed me to buy something that I actually liked.

Larry will send you a good, sharp blade, might not be real pretty, but it will shave. As for buying new, I purchased a Boker King Cutter as my first new razor last year. Since then I have picked up several vintages. The modern Boker seems to be just OK (see below, I kinda am responsible for that I think...) compared to the vintages, they seem to take a very sharp edge and really hold it. Just my take. I have read a lot of good things on the forums here about the Ralf Aust.

As for the strop... My strop game was weak in the beginning, I've shredded more than one before I got the movement down (for me that was sooo easy.). I also rolled the edge on that Boker pretty bad, might be the reason I can't seem to hone it up as well as the others. Also, I've only been practicing honing for a few weeks, so take what I'm saying about it with a few grains of salt.

Either way, I'm sure you'll be happy with what Larry sends you, I've never been disappointed with Whipped Dog.

Good luck and have fun!

and you don't have to buy new if your cap is $120. you can get a lot of quality vintage at that price point, once you know what to look for when buying online, or, just not physically in hand.

In terms of getting a second razor. When the time comes for more razors I think you can get a couple very good vintage razors for your "under $120" budget. Before you commit the big dollar razors you may want to explore different sizes and shapes (in addition to getting to know how use a straight).

I agree with the above. A poorman strop from Larry, or the kit. The kit has a pasted balsa strop, which is good to refresh the razor when stropping has lost it's ability to keep the edge keen enough. I know I rolled my edge while I stropped at first, and had I done so to a new, more expensive blade I would have been very upset. I also cut and nicked my strop, and am glad I got the poorman. I also went through a few blade shapes before I landed on the one I like most. Rounded was okay, didn't like the square, and loved the French point. I bought mt first from Larry, and three from eBay vendor april7th1989. Both have provided great quality and service, and price their offerings to keep quality within the reach of us less-rich. $120 could buy you two or three nice vintage blades with a shave ready edge from either.

You'll need a strop, and to begin with I'd buy 2 from Larry, or get a honed Gold Dollar from Scott (lifestooshort1971 IIRC). Scott includes extra honing too. While,you're learning the ropes, you can research your higher end razor.

If you want to jump in, Ralf Aust always gets good marks for value and quality.

Cheers, Steve
+1

Top Bottom