What's new

Recommendation for a Matte strong hold

Okay I have used a Murray's and a Dax pomade and neither gave me the results I wanted. I have short straight hair that I have a hard time making lay down. With a hair dryer and hair spray I can get the back crown to lay down but anything else leaves me with hair pinging out (think Alfalfa). I also want a more matte look. Lastly I can't spend a fortune.
Any ideas?

@skypsyd

Last edited:
Just awesome stuff. Highly recommend. It says Medium Hold, but it's a strong hold.

proxy.php

Are you looking for hair to have hold like cement or something with a really strong hold, but still look natural like you have nothing in your hair?

I would like a more natural look. The main issue I have is the back of my head at the crown. The hair there just wants to stick straight out. I can get it to lay down with a blowdryer and hairspray but would like something a little easier.

@skypsyd

Last edited:

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Lockhart's Matte Clay, Prelude Clay pomade. Both are good. Flagship has their Dead Sea Clay but it's not totally matte like I expected.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
John, another option to consider is Slick Devil. It's a firm hold water based pomade that gives a matte finish. The scent is of Tobacco and Vanilla.

Okay I have used a Murray's and a Dax pomade and neither gave me the results I wanted. I have short straight hair that I have a hard time making lay down. With a hair dryer and hair spray I can get the back crown to lay down but anything else leaves me with hair pinging out (think Alfalfa). I also want a more matte look. Lastly I can't spend a fortune.
Any ideas?

Hey John,

matte clay pomades are very EXPENSIVE, and I don't know if you're going to be able to find it for cheap. It's usually around $20 per tin for 4oz. If I were you, I would hold off on this stuff until you at least try it before. I used some of the best matte clays out there and it always gave my hair a nice dirty hair look. The abscence of shine made my hair look unhealthy. The fact that I paid some much for these pomades kind of left me unhappy and jadded, because I expected so much. I ended up tossing the stuff because I don't need or want my hair to look dirty in a professional setting.

With your hair type, I would use a lighter pomade like Dax Short and Neat or Murray's Hair Glo. They work well for the shorter, thinner hair like yours. I would put in three or four scoops, and part my hair to the side. You might want to get a hair cut, but let your bangs grow out so you can sweep it to the side. It'll look great. I think we could definitely improve your looks so that people are throwing themselves at you like they are with me on a daily basis.

The great thing about Dax Short and Neat and Murray's Hair Glo is the price. They're less than $5 per tin. As such, you won't spend a small fortune on a product that is just going to make your hair look dirty and unhealthy like a matte clay product. That kind of stuff might look good on someone with movie star looks like me, but I look so much better when I have a pomade in my hair that has shine in it. One of my old girlfriends criticized me when i was using a matte clay product, saying, "David, your hair looks dirty. Why don't you wash it?" She was right. My hair did look dirty and unhealthy with this stuff in it, so I tossed it. I'll never use a matt clay product again. The people that I see using it look like they have dirty hair in my opinion. Some of them look good if they have great hair, but they also would look MUCH better if they were using a light pomade with shine in it. In other words, their hair looks so great that they could literally rub dirt in their hair and still look great, which is what is how I see matte clays looking when it's inside hair.

The quote from the 1968 movie 'Planet of the Apes' is fitting for you, John with your hopes for matt clays being the answer to your hair problems.

Dr. Zaius: "Don't look for it, Taylor. You may not like what you find."

Lockhart's Matte Clay, Prelude Clay pomade. Both are good. Flagship has their Dead Sea Clay but it's not totally matte like I expected.

I am curious myself about Lockhart's Matt Clay. Let's say that the strongest hold product on the market is 10 out 10 in terms of hold level - where would you rank the Matt Clay as far as hold goes out of 10?

Can you essentially have slicked back hair without the slick/shine/greasy look or will there probably be some strands of hair that come loose later in the day.

Thanks!

$byrd.jpg$dean.jpg

Hey John,

One matte clay product I like a lot is Byrd Matte pomade. When I was living in San Clemente, California, I bought a tin of the Byrd Matte pomade and I was really impressed. It has a firm hold that will give your hair great definition. I have blond hair and it made hair look exactly like the late James Dean. I would have kept using the stuff, but it was SO expensive at the time. I think I was paying $20 for a 1oz tin. It’s now a little less expensive at $17 for a 2.5oz tin. Of all the pomades I’ve used, Byrd Matte [aka “Dirty Byrd”] gives my hair the James Dean look. It’s great for my blond hair. Like I said, I stopped using it because of the price and I moved away from San Clemente, where I saw it advertised everywhere downtown in surf shops. Byrd matte pomade doesn’t have any real shine, and it’s great for the natural look. For me, I like this pomade better than any of the matte clay pomades I’ve tried in the past. It held my hair in any style I wanted.

Ingredients:

water (aqua), paraffinum liquidum, peg-8 beeswax, cetearyl alcohol, ozokerite wax, polyquaternium-69, glycerin, hydrogenated castor oil, peg-40 hydrogenated castor oil, glyceryl behenate, triethanolamine, pvp (firming agent), fragrance (parfum), butylene glycol, carbomer, sodium polyacrylate, hydrogenated polydecene, copernicia cerifera (carnauba) wax, beeswax, trideceth-6, disodium edta, phenoxyethanol, ethylhexylglycerin, peg-45m, bentonite

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I am curious myself about Lockhart's Matt Clay. Let's say that the strongest hold product on the market is 10 out 10 in terms of hold level - where would you rank the Matt Clay as far as hold goes out of 10?

Can you essentially have slicked back hair without the slick/shine/greasy look or will there probably be some strands of hair that come loose later in the day.

Thanks!

Hold is a 7-8 based on hair type, it's pretty heavy also since it's got some grease in it. It wouldn't slick my hair, but then again very few heavy Pomade's will either because my hair all likes to stand up.

2nd for this one. Got it for the first time this week and very impressed. Vanilla based scent and strong hold, easy to style in towel dried hair.

I am really surprised this hair product isn't taking the world by storm so to speak - especially considering Layrite is a popular brand anyway. More people need to try it. It's a game changer product.

Do you guys get MUK products in the states?

I've been using Hard MUK for about 6 years now. It's truly awesome stuff! A totally matte finish with very strong hold.

I have tried many, many different brands of clay and putty but nothing came close to replacing the Hard MUK (I only tried others as MUK is expensive).

Top Bottom