What's new

Knockout Razor: details and first shave report.

I received my brand new (1940s NOS) Knockout Razor today.

View attachment 689664

Considering its vintage, it puts many modern three piece razors to shame. You just pop the blade in and it’s lined up perfectly, every time. I thought it was beginners’ luck, so I tried it several times doing my best to be ham-fisted. It wouldn’t tolerate my nonsense and lined the blade up perfectly each time.
View attachment 689666

View attachment 689667

Here’s a few measurements for the geeks out there (in grams g and millimeters mm):
PART
Wt g
Ø
Width
Depth
Height
Handle10.010.5‡74.0*
Baseplate06.940.626.507.9*
Cap09.340.818.903.5†
Baseplate Pins04.7‡
Complete Unit26.240.826.582.0*

* Excluding Pins (10.4mm including pins)
† Excluding Bolt
‡ Average(ish) and yes it’s octagonal, not round

View attachment 689669

The razor may look a little intimidating for newbs.
Blade exposure:
$K4_Profile.jpg

Continued on next post...

From another angle:
$KX.jpg

And yet another angle:
$KXX.jpg

But all this aggression stuff tends to make me chuckle. It’s a RAZOR for gawd’s sake. Treat it with respect and it’ll return the compliment.

I’ll report on my first shave with the Knockout in my next post…

Our first shave, Knockout and me:
View attachment 689674

That was really fabulous. I tend to be a natural steep angle shaver. But my shaving angles with the Knockout varied quite a lot. Basically I just listened, and it told me what to do (yes, it’s loud).

First shave BBS! That’s a first for me. I love this little razor.

My beloved Fatip Piccolo is still number one, but Knockout is right beside it on the podium at number two.

They're very nice razors.I can't remember off the top of my head but this style also came with different branding and black plastic.

Found one in a grooming set awhile back, hadn't been used but didn't come in its nice box either. Got it for almost nothing so not complaining. It is an amazing razor, love it to bits. Gives a smooth and long lasting shave each and every time. The ability to buff with this razor over and over again due to the lather staying under the blade is just another plus. It's kind of funny, perhaps a bit gross, but as you shave you will notice your stubble start to come out the other side of the razor..

It's efficient but not overly aggressive. Easy to clean, looks good and delivers rewarding shaves that don't leave your skin raw.

... It is an amazing razor, love it to bits. Gives a smooth and long lasting shave each and every time. The ability to buff with this razor over and over again due to the lather staying under the blade is just another plus. It's kind of funny, perhaps a bit gross, but as you shave you will notice your stubble start to come out the other side of the razor..

It's efficient but not overly aggressive. Easy to clean, looks good and delivers rewarding shaves that don't leave your skin raw.
:thumbup: [MENTION=84529]rudyt[/MENTION] commented on that in another thread. Here's his comment, and my reply.

They're very nice razors.I can't remember off the top of my head but this style also came with different branding and black plastic.

Nice looking razor.! I am afraid the blade exposure would carve my face up though. :w00t:

Nice razor :thumbup1:

Thanks for the report. I might have to look for one of those.

A very nice razor. I wouldn't mind getting one.

Cool razor. Thanks for the pics and the shaving report. It doesn't look scary to me at all.

Great in depth analysis an insight

LOVELY! Thanks for sharing! :thumbup:

Great razorintroduction and review. Thanks.

Glad you like the Knockout. Very good report and thanks for sharing.
Many thanks for the thankyous guys, appreciated. :biggrin1:

Here's a pic of the unused blade and blade wrappers along with the box. I know you like pics. :wink2:

View attachment 689877

I thought I'd keep the thread bumped up by reporting on my first few shaves.

So here's Knockout Shave 2:

$Knockout-Shave-2_2016-09-21.jpg

What a fun razor this is. And it's really one great communicator. :yesnod:

Not only does it let you know when you've got the angle just right with its loud feedback... it tells you when it needs a rinse. As [MENTION=84529]rudyt[/MENTION] said (on another thread) "I love the way lather just extrudes out the other side of the head." As soon as I see the lather/cut-hair/etc starting to come out the other side of the head, it's telling me "time for a rinse."

The baseplate design is different, and in a really good way. It’s a sort of inverse open comb effect where the waste hair and lather runs over the top of the plate right to the other side, rather than just being dumped immediately below it. It keeps everything so clean and tidy, and makes rinsing out a breeze too.

This second shave was a DFS. Normally I go for BBS, but I was having so much fun playing with the Knockout that I lost that serious-BBS-intent. So it's all good.

I'll report my next few shaves with my new (70 year old) Knockout.
If they carry on this way I can see my beloved Piccolo being challenged for 1st place. :w00t:

Top Bottom