What's new

Just found my first SE at the antique mall!

You found a good one. The Gem Jr. was my introduction to wet shaving and is still a regular part of my rotation. I hope you enjoy it.

I don't consider myself a collector but not having an SE in the drawer just didn't feel right.

So I decided I wanted a Gem 1912 or junior and headed out to the antique mall. I didn't expect to find one but maybe some old DEs I could trade for one.

They had all their old razors in a glass cabinet and the few things in there were cracked, filthy, missing pieces and worse yet way overpriced. There was a junior in pretty rough shape and they had a $25 tag on it so I passed pretty quick.

Just as I was giving up I spotted this on a separate shelf by itself for $10. The tag said wwii military razor, but as far as I can tell it's just a regular Gem Junior which are a bit older than that correct?

Here it is. I think it's in pretty good shape myself. Now where do I get blades for it?

View attachment 689638
View attachment 689640
View attachment 689641View attachment 689642
that is the Junior 1912 head design, its very mild, milder than the Bullettip Micromatic. If you like mild razors then you will love this one, me personally nope, I like either aggressive or mediuum

Nice looking razor! And the blade stops are intact, so that's the most important thing! (I've made that mistake before)

You can get blades at CVS or Walgreens. I wouldn't trust any of the SE shaving blades that come from the grocery store. Beyond that, you can order them in bulk from Ted Pella.

Hey KJ I checked out the Ted Pella site and since they market their razors for lab use which blades are recommended for shaving use? There's quite a few options and even different grinds in carbon steel and stainless. I think I'll start with some tucks of Feather and Gem blue stars but if I really like the SE I'll put in a larger order there.

Hey KJ I checked out the Ted Pella site and since they market their razors for lab use which blades are recommended for shaving use? There's quite a few options and even different grinds in carbon steel and stainless. I think I'll start with some tucks of Feather and Gem blue stars but if I really like the SE I'll put in a larger order there.

Hey man, look here! :thumbup1:

Hey man, look here! :thumbup1:

I think I like that one better. Don't think I'll need 200 of them:tongue_sm. I'll still be using my DEs and trying to get into straights (unless the SE is so magical I won't want to use anything else.) so 200 would last ages and I like to change things up now and then with different blades.

Thanks for the replies guys!

I bought mine here http://connaughtshaving.com/gemss.html

I bought 100 but you have a few options and I believe even with shipping they are still cheaper than buying from TedPella. Of course I had to add a few more items :biggrin1: Shipping was very fast. Faster than some orders I've had here which makes you scratch your head.

I just grabbed a 10 pack of "CVS" blades to get me going. Opened pack and they're AccuTec American Line Personna blades. Will have my first SE shave this evening.

If this is what you got they're the wrong blades!

American Line - 2 Facet Aluminum Back Single Edge Dispenser 10 Pac

Item # 66-0210-0000Packed in a clear see through safety dispenser, these aluminum backed single edge blades are precision ground for great durability and sharpness in scraping and cutting applications. Works in any single edge tools, mini scraper and box cutters. Blades can be used in a variety of applications including painting, industrial applications, automotive, and more.

• Aluminum Backing
  • Safety Dispenser with used blade reservoir
proxy.php
proxy.php

If this is what you got they're the wrong blades!

American Line - 2 Facet Aluminum Back Single Edge Dispenser 10 Pac

Item # 66-0210-0000Packed in a clear see through safety dispenser, these aluminum backed single edge blades are precision ground for great durability and sharpness in scraping and cutting applications. Works in any single edge tools, mini scraper and box cutters. Blades can be used in a variety of applications including painting, industrial applications, automotive, and more.

• Aluminum Backing
  • Safety Dispenser with used blade reservoir
proxy.php
proxy.php

Nope.

They look identical to the GEM blue star blades. Same black dispenser with bank and .009 thickness stamped on spine. Personna website even states they're "the famous blue blade".

Pretty sure they're carbon steel, I'll make sure they're dry after use.

What I bought:
proxy.php

GEM blue star:
proxy.php

Last edited:
If they came from the shaving section at CVS they should be the right blades. They are indeed carbon steel and must be removed from the razor and dried immediately after shaving.

--Bob

Top Bottom