What's new

Why stretch the skin???

Ok so iv herd you're not suppose to stretch the skin when you're using a DE style razor. Yet for straight razors you're suppose to stretch the skin. Why is that...I mean isn't stretching the skin the same no matter what kind of shaving tool you use? Can someone please explain? Thanks! :001_smile

Michael,
I get a much better shave when I stretch the skin,whether I'm using a straight or a DE.Certainly as you get older and your skin loosens it becomes a necessity.I tend to get alot more nicks if I fail to stretch my skin enough especially around the chin and jowl area.

Michael,
I get a much better shave when I stretch the skin,whether I'm using a straight or a DE.Certainly as you get older and your skin loosens it becomes a necessity.I tend to get alot more nicks if I fail to stretch my skin enough especially around the chin and jowl area.

+1. Also, stretching the skin can make "flat" sections that are very conducive to DE or Str8 shaving. It also helps the whiskers stand up.

Regards,

I think the safety bar on a razor stretches the skin a little bit to raise the hair as you shave. With a straight, you have no safety bar, so you have to stretch.

Where did you hear that the skin should not be stretched when using a DE razor? The principles are very similar for DE and straights, so there is no reason not to stretch the skin.

The safety bar does indeed stretch the skin somewhat but only very little, and it stretches the skin by applying pressure in front of the razor. If you want to stretch the skin by applying pressure behind or to the sides of the razor, you'll have to use your other hand, just like with a straight.

Best - MM

What you probably heard was trying to make the point that stretching is not as vital in DE shaving as it is in straight shaving, not that it's not useful.

M

modern man

You need a flat surface to shave with a straight or you will cut yourself.

A DE blade or cartridge blade is smaller and has “flex” to it so it gives in to the contours of your face, not so with a straight.

Example,

Can you bend a DE blade? Yes
Can you bend a Straight Razor Blade? Yes but why on earth would you. :lol:

Mantic does have a video in which he advises against over stretching the skin. Over stretching may lead to ingrown hairs.

-Clarke

Mark is refering to DE shaving, you NEED to stretch for Straight shaving.

Over streaching is still bad though, you only need a flat surface to shave on.

A mild streach with a DE is also a good idea if you have loose skin, me I just make funny faces to streach it a little, no need to over do it.

I advise stretching when using a DE also as I have been doing this much more recently for the jawline. It helps alot. However, I advise against stretching too much on areas that you are prone to ingrowns or irritation as it can make the problem worse.

Stretching will flatten out your face and force the hairs to stand up. However, it can also lead to ingrowns if done to excess. I stretch certain areas using just the facial muscles. Works for me. YMMV.

Top Bottom