What's new

The 'Shovel Head"

Yep. Thats where i ordered from 20 bucks for 100 encluding shipping across the pond. Not bad really.
Now some people say tou have to turn over a blade. Ive never worried about it with DE. What about SE?

I got it backwards!!!!

The round comb is more aggressive!!!

Ok. Thanks for clearing that up. The round still looks nicer. Hard to see differances on phone pics. Will have to wait to get home before bidding one one. But a few nice lookers on the bay.

Ok. Thats about what i thought. I just used my MMOC and i get a close shave with 4 passes but its not a comfortable shave. If i go with two passes and some buffing i still dont get it all. I think its the buffing. Too much time in one area. Practice more i guess. I tried a steep angle first and today i went almost flush with the top of the razor. Always hear it cutting. Ill keep at it.

The 1912 gem works so much better for me. Im guessing less agressive. So maybe when i get a 1924 shovel i should be looking for the non rounded comb.

Ok. Thats about what i thought. I just used my MMOC and i get a close shave with 4 passes but its not a comfortable shave. If i go with two passes and some buffing i still dont get it all. I think its the buffing. Too much time in one area. Practice more i guess. I tried a steep angle first and today i went almost flush with the top of the razor. Always hear it cutting. Ill keep at it.

The 1912 gem works so much better for me. Im guessing less agressive. So maybe when i get a 1924 shovel i should be looking for the non rounded comb.

Correct, square comb. :thumbup1:

I got it backwards!!!!

The round comb is more aggressive!!!

Actually, the flat toothed version is generally considered more aggressive, and that has been my personal experience as well.

This is interesting in that the round tooth version came first, so if the flat tooth version is more aggressive it would run counter to the usual trend of newer razors being milder.

YMMV

--Bob

Tomorrow I will revisit this issue by using them side by side and report back. Since there are more than two versions of the 1924, I wonder if the aggressiveness is different for each one? I can't check that, I only have two. But I will check those two! :thumbup1:

Thanks for doing this TobyC. It will help me out. I want to getone i can use. The more agressive one will still be nice in the collection but i need to start slowing down on buying razors. It kind of odd that i can use an agressive DE but the ag4ess8ve SE is a bit much for me. Got to keep working on it i guess. Im no woossie but a bit more comfort g9es a long ways.

I wish I had kept my mouth shut! I used them both today side by side with the same blade and,... I couldn't tell that I was using two razors! The handles are the same, they feel the same, they sound the same, and they shave the same!!! The same amount of beard growth, same soap, same everything you can think of, and the square guard and the round guard shaved exactly the same!!! My face feels exactly the same on both sides. That's not a bad thing mind you, the shave is second to none!!!

I don't know what to say at this point, so I will just go away now.

proxy.php

It kind of odd that i can use an agressive DE but the ag4ess8ve SE is a bit much for me. Got to keep working on it i guess. Im no woossie but a bit more comfort g9es a long ways.

The G-Bar (Heavy Flat Top) would be my choice for comfort.

My face feels exactly the same on both sides. That's not a bad thing mind you, the shave is second to none!!!

5 head styles, two comb styles, _ handle variations, and they all shave the same. I'm impressed. I do enjoy my Shovel Head! I'm happy to know they shave the same. I don't feel urgent RAD to go try to find one to do a side-by-side test with.

But you need to confirm my results!!! :w00t:

I'm very tempted, but I have the hardest time even telling the visual difference between the two. I propose a SE travel box for a diverse sample, and to share the love of SEs. I'm happy to commit a MMOC, Gem Jr, G-Bar, and my Shovel Head (if necessary). I think all we need is a second Shovel Head, Damaskeene, MM Clog Pruf, & MM Flying Wing for completeness. PM me if you want to discuss details.

I'm very tempted, but I have the hardest time even telling the visual difference between the two. I propose a SE travel box for a diverse sample, and to share the love of SEs. I'm happy to commit a MMOC, Gem Jr, G-Bar, and my Shovel Head (if necessary). I think all we need is a second Shovel Head, Damaskeene, MM Clog Pruf, & MM Flying Wing for completeness. PM me if you want to discuss details.

I can't even afford shipping at the moment! So I'm out.

I'd throw in the MMOC as you are going to put in a lot. its the only one I think I'd part with at the moment. You say when and its yours for a pass around box. As long as I get to try these other too and learn the differences.

Picked up my first ShovelHead
View attachment 690437View attachment 690442Really wanted one for awhile

Anthony
Curious

Nice pictures. The Shovel head is and has been my daily driver for the last 2 1/2 years. I don’t see that changing anytime soon.

8 years later do you still have your Shovel head? Are you using it? Do you enjoy using it or have you moved on to other SE’s or DE’s? Negative experiences? Some say too aggressive. Positive experiences?

What do you enjoy now? Continue to enjoy your shaves in the new year.

I also have an early GEM junior lather catcher without the bar, and it is a fantastic shaver! It works best with a very shallow angle. :thumbup1:
Without the bar?

Are you saying yours is an open comb?
Does it shave any different?

I am trying to picture that in my mind. Can you show a picture so I can compare to a REGULAR GEM Jr (Closed comb)?

I have considered razors like the 1912 GEM, GEM Jr, Shovel head to be sorta like a hybrid between OC and CC?

What are the thoughts of others?

What makes a Shovel head, a Shovel head?

It is in its own category:

The head flips open forward, not backward
The built in shave angle is a little different than others
It has two head types: pedestal and stamped, rounded and square
It comes with a short and long handle. I am aware of three types (smooth, coarse, ornamental). There could be more. I like to use the Bakelite handles (fat and skinny) from a GEM Jr.
You can interchange handles from other vintage SE’s. Modern SE’s?
The shaving angle is different than all other vintage SE’s
It is the loudest vintage SE there is
It is a mid-aggressive razor.
It has a very wide blade gap. The widest?
It is easy to clean compared to others

I think it is many razors in one. IMO it can be used like an adjustable. Changing shaving angles is like switching numbers.

After trial and error, this has been my daily driver for over two years.

I rotate it sometimes with my other razors:
1912 GEM
1912 GEM Jr

IMO these are the BEST VINTAGE razors out there. What do you think?

I find the round comb '24 to be smooth and just barely more aggressive than the 1912, the square comb version is much more aggressive in my opinion, but a nice close comfortable shaver all the same.

See them side by side here.
TobyC

I have what I think is the rounded type. Does anyone know where I can get a square combed at a fair price? I have looked on EBay, Amazon and Etsy.

I must add that the 1924 name comes from the date the patent was issued - April 1924 - not from when it appeared in Sears catalogues. You can read the patent at the excellent historical site Razors.Page

IMG_6892.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom