What's new

Hording fragrances

Some wonderful fragrances get occasionally discontinued. Other show up at grate and rare discounts. Do any of you horde fragrances? Which one? How many? How do your store them? Do you ever buy more than one "back up" bottle?

Quorum. I have a 20% bottle of the current formulation, a 95% bottle of the early 90s reform, a 25ml bottle of the a/s and splash (early 90s), and a carded sample (original release). I plan to add more bottles.

I only have a single bottle of everything else. I keep backups of Quorum because it is my personal favorite fragrance. I don't think the price would rise too much if it was discontinued, but I'd like to be stocked up before it happens.

I have purchased duplicate oud attars, as once they're gone, they cannot be repeated by the perfumer. Each batch is a one-off.

I have 3 bottles of Penhaligon's English Fern. A 100 ml on my shelf, a 50 ml in my travel bag, and a spare 100 ml that I bought on 50% off sale. I'm considering an extra bottle of Penhaligon's Elixir. Love this unique fragrance and it is being discontinued.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
A while back there was a rumor that Eau Des Baux was being discontinued and I quickly purchased a spare bottle. That's my only duplicate.

I have multiples for two fragrances

Armani pour Homme: Purely out of nostalgia, as it was the first "expensive" fragrance I purchased as a young adult. Once I heard it had been reformulated in 2013 or so, I went to many local shop and picked a few remaining bottles of the pre-reformulation (black bottom). I've used up a couple since then, so that I am now left with one 100 mL bottle and one 50 mL bottle of the EdT, and one 100 mL bottle of the after shave. By the way: the reformulated version (silver bottom) is still pretty good. Just different. I would probably buy it once I am out of "my" stuff.

Penhaligon's Sartorial: To me, this fragrance smell divine. I was exposed to it by receiving the shaving soap from family. Then I purchased the EdT from an online discount vendor in the USA. The price was really good, and the product was legit. Then, when I checked that same online vendor some time later, I noticed that it had mislabeled this fragrance as a women's fragrance. And that it was almost half price from when I purchased it. So I picked up a few more.

This is great thread. Keep them coming!

Gillette Cool Wave AS is still sold but out of production. Im considering if I want to buy more. Im trying it as a fragrance by replenishing using a spray bottle i can keep in my pocket but the longevity is poor. The scent, to many people, is surprisingly good and I only discovered it recently. My thinking though is to let it go, i dont think it is anything special. Though it is cheap.

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
I love Penhaligon's Raquets so much, that upon hearing about its discontinuation, I bought four additional bottles.

Sometimes I want to buy a backup bottle but then go out and buy a scent that is similar but from a different house. That way I can compare them side by side and the more juice I have the less of the original bottle I use, it seems to last a lot longer this way.
(I don't count travel bottles like 1.7oz as a backup when my normal bottle is the 100 or 200 ml)

My wife's favorite fragrance on me is Valentino V, and it's discontinued and far more expensive than it used to be. I have 3 100ml bottles on back up. I don't care for the juice that much, and I wear it only for her on nights or days that we are together. These four bottles should last me quite some time

Only when I know a favorite is being discontinued:

7 bottles of Penhaligon's Racquets Formula
5 bottles of Penhaligon's Elixir
$image.jpeg
$image.jpeg

I should have mentioned that while I only own one bottle of Caron pour un Homme, I am probably hording it. I buy it in the 750ml size bottle.

I think I went nuts with la nuit de lhomme. I don't think I'll finish them for Atleast 5 years. I have 2 100mls and 1 50 ml. Reason I won't finish them for years is I have over 80 fragrances. Full bottles. This habit is even worse than shave soap hording lol. So much more expensive to. 8k in fragrances in a year.

Some wonderful fragrances get occasionally discontinued.

OR......reformulated, with the company being quiet about it; usually it coincides with a small packaging change. So yes, I horde fragrances I like, because that same bottle two years down the road might've had its ingredients sourced from cheaper, less quality sources.

For many years my favorite (and usually only) fragrance was Atkinson's Royal Briar. As a matter of convenience I had a few bottles - half way into the last one, I discovered that the men's clothing store that sold it was gone (Triplers, in NYC) and I couldn't find it anywhere else. Wasn't the most important thing to me at the time (pre Internet) so I moved along to a few other fragrances. A few years back, I decided that I wanted to get some and discovered that it had been discontinued years ago. Through the magic of the Internet, I discovered this website and found that Royal Briar was being sold by a clothier (Carroll's) in LA. Bought a bottle and although it has probably been reformulated, it was close enough by memory to the original that I have 3 or 4 bottles stashed away. Given my age and the fact that B&B caused me to do a trip down memory lane and buy all the fragrances that I liked over the years, that will probably be enough to last. Virtually all of the fragrances that I liked and used over the years were originally formulated many years ago (Dunhill, Jockey Club, Zizanie, Canoe and so on) and I'm sure that the ones that I have have been reformulated. They are close enough to trigger memories, so they are OK by me. For better or worse, B&B has gotten me back into cigars and an occasional purchase of other items. Fortunately we don't talk about vintage sports cars, woodworking tools or sailboats.

Top Bottom