What's new

Half price hart

$FullSizeRender.jpg

Hart scales are certainly not among the best out there, but some are better than others. I have had four sets...
Two sets were just badly made. Neither would center with the blade, no matter what. I also had a set in cocobolo that was finished with something that was so soft it picked up the imprint of the elastic strap which was holding it in a storage case. Never have seen that before or since.

Now this set (the originals that came with the razor). Nice enough. A significant improvement was to be had when I applied a couple coats of Danish oil after a couple years. It brought out the grain of the wood and resulted in a nice overall matte-finish luster. I agree that for the asking price though, Hart Steel could supply a better set of scales from the get-go.

I feel I should add something positive about Hart Steel after trashing them. Before their custom line went away or went wherever it went, they offered some pretty innovative blade designs. I feel my square point thinned paddle tang Hart to be one of the most striking modern straight razor designs. Imo, its right up there with my Wacker Chevalier. Having said that, its currently in RI getting new quilted maple scales made, lol.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 111
I disagree with your "innovative" statement. I find this design to add to the comments about what some here find problematic with Hart Steel Razors. I see nothing innovative about that tang. I would say it takes a step back, more like all the way back…like, to the beginning. Without stating the obvious, though I will, it would be apparent that the thin tang, what are we calling it, a "paddle tang," would significantly alter the performance of the blade on the hone, strop, and face. Sure, you can compromise your technique to make it work though that raises the question…why, for what? I'm sure there are many here that that dig this razor. Probably why there has never been any comments to the contrary, or maybe I'm just an ignorant ***. No, not maybe, I am.
Every time I see this thing, I can't help to think to myself, though not this time obviously, that this thing sticks out like a big red "you know what."

~Royce

Last edited:
These razors are, first and foremost, tools. If it doesn't function well as such, it's not doing its job and is not for me. I'll take a pass on dysfunctional tools 100% of the time. Looking at the paddle Hart, all I see is a strop sliced to ribbons and an unbalanced razor. It is not for me, therefore, as I believe innovations should be made to increase ease of use.

Taste is a different matter. If you like the looks, great. But still it must function as intended.

I feel I should add something positive about Hart Steel after trashing them. Before their custom line went away or went wherever it went, they offered some pretty innovative blade designs. I feel my square point thinned paddle tang Hart to be one of the most striking modern straight razor designs. Imo, its right up there with my Wacker Chevalier. Having said that, its currently in RI getting new quilted maple scales made, lol.

Having used it, how does it shave? Is the balance off?

Thanks!

Having used it, how does it shave? Is the balance off?

Thanks!
The tang is petty wide and you actually forget about it during the shave. The balance is very good, so good you forget there is anything different about the razor when shaving. She works great for me, however I did have Alfredo hone her for me and......he didn't like it one bit.. I think awkward was the comment. Stropping is interesting, rolls great, but you have to keep the scales lightly gripped with the back part of hand ..pinky and ring fingers. I have never nicked my strop with her, but I don't go fast and I don't use my Kanayama strop either, lol.

I bought this one for the visual appeal and I do enjoy shaving with it, but its a 1/4 hollow and they are not my favorite grind.

Like I stated earlier in my first post I have two custom Harts and I wouldn't buy a third. The fit and finish just isn't there and thats sad.

I am sure the edge and steel on Harts are fine but I feel for what you are paying a tad more attention to detail could be added, I know these are utilitarian tools that we use in the privacy of our homes and we don't parade them around like a new car but if it's not pretty their is just no allure for me to want to use it and enjoy it, it just becomes a JAR ( Just Another Razor)

The tang is petty wide and you actually forget about it during the shave. The balance is very good, so good you forget there is anything different about the razor when shaving. She works great for me, however I did have Alfredo hone her for me and......he didn't like it one bit.. I think awkward was the comment. Stropping is interesting, rolls great, but you have to keep the scales lightly gripped with the back part of hand ..pinky and ring fingers. I have never nicked my strop with her, but I don't go fast and I don't use my Kanayama strop either, lol.

Thanks for the info! It is always nice to hear first hand experiences vs non first hand experiences, and how sometimes they differ.

So did anyone saddle up and get one?!

Mine arrived today. I ordered it just after this thread started as i've been wanting to order one as I'm becoming a fan of US made straights. I'm very glad I ordered before all the negative comments in this thread started or I may have been talked out of it. I used it tonight straight out of the box. I typically at least strop a new razor, but I wanted to see how it did as-is. I absolutely love the feel of the razor. Very stout and solid feeling. Exactly what I was looking for in that department. I went with the basic black resin scales. The fit is excellent, blade centers well. It's certainly not fancy but I haven't become too hung up (yet) on the aesthetics of the scales (only been SR shaving for a few months).

The shave was good (not great, but good). I'm going to maybe work it up on my Norton 8k and Naniwa 12k this weekend and see if the shave improves.

Overall, I am very happy with the purchase, especially at the sale price. I probably would not have bought one at full price and if I had, I can understand why people may be upset a bit with the quality of the scales for the price paid. I'm a big fan of Portland Razors and at the sale price for the Hart, would consider them pretty close. I may like the PRC's just a little more, but I need to spend some more time with the Hart.

$IMG_1894.jpg

Congrats on you new Hart! Please don't misunderstand my comments. I love the Hart razor. The scales, however, are like walking around in a burlap sack. Sure you're covered up, but . . . .

I picked up the striped scales (pic above) to replace the tongue depressors mine original came with. I knew from the day I ordered the razor that the scales would be replaced, but I didn't know what I wanted in their place. The black horn scales I first posted "make" the razor for me. It went from being a utilitarian tool to a real looker (imo).

I have always enjoyed shaving with the razor; now I love it.

Nice score, and at a great price. I have other US made blades that I have been a fan of and have become my daily drivers. This is the main reason that I passed on the Hart. But I was thinking about it at the price offering. I am certain that you will be able to improve on the edge, and that you will be pleased. The cool thing about them is that changing the scales is a snap. Enjoy!

[MENTION=110555]jb27[/MENTION] - kudos to you! Im glad you liked it and got what you expect. I would have felt bad had I lead someone to a disappointing buy. And as I was reading your post, I was prepared to compare it to how I would think a PRC would have been (my last purchase was a Ralf Aust that BARELY go chosen over a PRC), so I'm glad that was your comparison. I will still probably pick up a PRC in the future, but the difference in your preference towards the PRC, do you think it might be because PRC's are a heavier grind? That's at least what i've heard. Or is the Hart also a heavier grind?

Congrats on you new Hart! Please don't misunderstand my comments. I love the Hart razor. The scales, however, are like walking around in a burlap sack. Sure you're covered up, but . . . .

I picked up the striped scales (pic above) to replace the tongue depressors mine original came with. I knew from the day I ordered the razor that the scales would be replaced, but I didn't know what I wanted in their place. The black horn scales I first posted "make" the razor for me. It went from being a utilitarian tool to a real looker (imo).

I have always enjoyed shaving with the razor; now I love it.

Thanks. I got that you liked the razor (except scales) and can certainly appreciate that considering their regular price. Those black horn scales are indeed nice. Where did you get them (in case I later decide to dress mine up a bit).

Nice score, and at a great price. I have other US made blades that I have been a fan of and have become my daily drivers. This is the main reason that I passed on the Hart. But I was thinking about it at the price offering. I am certain that you will be able to improve on the edge, and that you will be pleased. The cool thing about them is that changing the scales is a snap. Enjoy!

Thanks, yeah the price is what made me take the plunge. Actually just checked and they're still on sale. Was thinking 7/8 but don't want to go down that slippery slope in case I end up liking the 7/8. Dang RAD.

@jb27 - kudos to you! Im glad you liked it and got what you expect. I would have felt bad had I lead someone to a disappointing buy. And as I was reading your post, I was prepared to compare it to how I would think a PRC would have been (my last purchase was a Ralf Aust that BARELY go chosen over a PRC), so I'm glad that was your comparison. I will still probably pick up a PRC in the future, but the difference in your preference towards the PRC, do you think it might be because PRC's are a heavier grind? That's at least what i've heard. Or is the Hart also a heavier grind?

Both the Hart and PRC are quarter hollow grinds, which I never gave the thought to, but I'll bet is why I like them. Again I'm fairly new to SR's and most of my others are Full Hollow, which now makes sense that I'm developing a preference to the PRC and Hart that feel more solid. I better not try a wedge... I have a 5/8 Ralf Aust that I do like a lot too. If you're on Facebook, check out PRC's page. I've been following their posts for a few months now. Not sure how often they do it, but a month or so ago they had a discount posted which lead me to give a Sprite a try. Just arrived today. I'll give it a go tomorrow. Again, Dang RAD!

It all goes to show how much personal likes and dislikes go into this hobby. I like my Hart razors considerably better than my PRC.

These days a "better" razor can be had from a number of sources; all within the same price range, Brian Brown and
Jerry Stark can bang you out a "one of a kind" razor of exceptional quality for $225-$275. I hear PRC can do the same. I have a Hart; I like it. However, a Brown or Stark it ain't. End of story.

Top Bottom