What's new

Twinings 90th (for Her Majesty)

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Please write up some notes about the 90th when you get a chance; it sounds right up my alley and it's on the list at Amazon.

You got it!

I made up a cup of the Twinings 90th, today. The most concise review I can give is that it's very much like what they say it would be: a combination of Assam, Kenya, and Sri Lanka/Ceylon. The Assam provides a malty base. The Kenyan adds a strikingly bright, citrus counterpoint. The Sri Lankan ties them together and smooths the whole thing out. Grassy/hay notes are there but are subtle, even muted, which I like (some English blends get too far into the haystack for my tastes). There's a mild rose note in there that probably comes from the Sri Lankan, but who really knows? Shoot, they might've tossed in a little rose. Of course, other than a distinct Assam maltiness, where some of the other notes come from could be anyone's guess. The fact of the matter is that the blend works well.

Anyone who is familiar with Twinings Irish Breakfast is going to find many similarities with this blend. However, the brightness stands out a little more, and the aroma is subtly more complex. It's notably stronger than their English Breakfast. It's miles ahead of both.

The first sip came across a little harsh, but that must have been my palate at the moment, as it smoothed out quite quickly. A refreshing astringency is present throughout, and it begs you to reach for your cup again. In fact, perhaps to the regret of my head and stomach, the large cup I made seemed to evaporate much more quickly than it should have.

This is a very nice tea, but I must pause to ponder value. At two, three, or even close to four times the price of your run-of-the-mill Twinings offerings (by 100g/3.5oz tins), I'm not sure I'm getting all my money's worth for the premium I'm paying. I appreciate the attractive, celebratory tin as well as the donation Twinings makes with each purchase, but this still seems a bit stiff. I do not regret buying this by any stretch. I'll enjoy this down to the last leaf, but there are very many high-quality teas that I can pick up for the same price. I'm not quite sure this is in the same league, although it doesn't fall very short if it's not. Can you tell that I'm on the fence? :blush:

Anhow . . . . Cheers!

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Any good with milk ?
I'm afraid someone else will have to tell you that. I'm not for milk in anything other than a White Russian.

That said, I could see a dab of milk working well with this tea, for those who enjoy it.

You got it!

I made up a cup of the Twinings 90th, today. The most concise review I can give is that it's very much like what they say it would be: a combination of Assam, Kenya, and Sri Lanka/Ceylon. The Assam provides a malty base. The Kenyan adds a strikingly bright, citrus counterpoint. The Sri Lankan ties them together and smooths the whole thing out. Grassy/hay notes are there but are subtle, even muted, which I like (some English blends get too far into the haystack for my tastes). There's a mild rose note in there that probably comes from the Sri Lankan, but who really knows? Shoot, they might've tossed in a little rose. Of course, other than a distinct Assam maltiness, where some of the other notes come from could be anyone's guess. The fact of the matter is that the blend works well.

Anyone who is familiar with Twinings Irish Breakfast is going to find many similarities with this blend. However, the brightness stands out a little more, and the aroma is subtly more complex. It's notably stronger than their English Breakfast. It's miles ahead of both.

The first sip came across a little harsh, but that must have been my palate at the moment, as it smoothed out quite quickly. A refreshing astringency is present throughout, and it begs you to reach for your cup again. In fact, perhaps to the regret of my head and stomach, the large cup I made seemed to evaporate much more quickly than it should have.

This is a very nice tea, but I must pause to ponder value. At two, three, or even close to four times the price of your run-of-the-mill Twinings offerings (by 100g/3.5oz tins), I'm not sure I'm getting all my money's worth for the premium I'm paying. I appreciate the attractive, celebratory tin as well as the donation Twinings makes with each purchase, but this still seems a bit stiff. I do not regret buying this by any stretch. I'll enjoy this down to the last leaf, but there are very many high-quality teas that I can pick up for the same price. I'm not quite sure this is in the same league, although it doesn't fall very short if it's not. Can you tell that I'm on the fence? :blush:

Anhow . . . . Cheers!

Fantastic review! :biggrin1: Sounds right up my alley.

At $15 a tin on Amazon I'm not interested, but 6 for $40 is more palatable. I found a few people at work to buy in on it so I might have one or two tins at a good price point.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Fantastic review! :biggrin1: Sounds right up my alley.

At $15 a tin on Amazon I'm not interested, but 6 for $40 is more palatable. I found a few people at work to buy in on it so I might have one or two tins at a good price point.
Thanks!

I'm in about the same place. I'm not going to order another single tin, but I'll have a few more cups and think about whether I want 600g of it. I just might.

Thanks!

I'm in about the same place. I'm not going to order another single tin, but I'll have a few more cups and think about whether I want 600g of it. I just might.

I know this isn't the right thread, but Amazon has Prince of Wales for $3.74/tin (add-on item only). It's a really good commercial Chinese tea for the price. I threw a tin in because that is the best price I've seen it.

See if you can get someone else to go in half on that 600g order though. Amazon pricing for English/Irish Breakfast is about the same at that price, so something to consider.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Guys, let's be careful to keep this out of "Shopping and Deals" territory, and we're getting close.

Anyhow, I had another cup, this morning. If anything, my opinion has improved. This is a nice cup.

I went ahead and added a six pack to next month's subscribe and save shipment.

Top Bottom