What's new

Is there a product that gives the wet hair look without the stiffness of gel/mousse?

$royal.jpg

Murray's Super Light pomade is definitely a good one for the wet hair look. There's a TON of pomades for the wet hair look. As for which of the two Royal Crowns to use for the wet hair look, it depends. If your hair doesn't need to be styled at all, then go with Royal Crown dressing. It's a little shinier and it'll give you a really nice wet look. I don't care for the scent much of the Royal Crown dressing, but the stuff is superb of creating the wet look. I have blond hair and it's impossible to see shine on my hair unless I go outside. I hate that. If you need/want to be able to style your hair, then I would suggest using Royal Crown pomade. It's a medium pomade, and it's got decent hold. I like the Royal Crown pomade better than the dressing.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
thanks for the info!

I think I'll just get both! Find out which one I like.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Jason, my 2 cents: DAX Neat Waves. It gives a Medium Hold, high shine and has a great scent.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I may try that before it's all said and done Marco. Thanks!

I ordered the Royal Crown pomade & hair dressing.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Found his at Walgreens

proxy.php

Can't say that I'm a fan. I'll continue to use it till it's out just cause I don't want to waste it. But it has a strong alcohol scent. Mixed with whatever else is in it. Kind of burns my eyes some.

Also is somewhat sticky. Or tacky feeling. Meh

Got it! Thanks. I'm pretty sure I do have some hair wax. So I'll try that.

There's a Sally Beauty Supply in the shopping center where I work. I'm going to pop in there tomorrow and see about some hair tonic. I know they have the Pinaud stuff, but not sure on the tonic.

Imagine you just got out of the shower but you don't dry your hair, you just comb it. And it just falls wherever you comb it from the weight of the water. That's the look I want. It's still pliable

What about some beard oil?

Tonic might give you shine, but you won't get the truly wet hair look that you want unless you go with a pomade like Royal Crown or British Bryclreem. They both wash out easily. It';s not like with Murray's. They're both inexpensive. Another product that will give you the wet hair look is Groom and Clean from Suave. It's really good for the wet hair look if you can stand the scent. There's a ton of pomades that give a wet hair look. Royal Crown is good because it's inexpensive. I think their factory is in Tennessee.

Another vote for Good and Clean...apply to damp hair and it will maintain the look for some time. Plus, it's cheaper than dirt and will wash out easily as it is water-based.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I appreciate all the suggestions here, but....I don't think I'll be using the Royal Crown stuff. Or pomade of any kind for that matter. Unless its water based.

I tried the hair dressing today and this stuff is just way to hard to get out of my hair. I don't want to sleep with it in so I'll be washing my hair every night. I had to use baby oil, and dish soap, AND shampoo.

So the hunt continues!

I do want to try the oil based hair tonics. I think that would be a lot easier to get out of my hair at night.

I believe Elvis used black and white. it was Johnny Cash who used Royal Crown. Both give that old school "greaser" look.

~ When in doubt...Post it in
Badger&Blade ~

$elvis.jpg

Hi Brindle,

The King [Elvis] was said to have used the following pomades: Black & White, Royal Crown, Dixie Peach, Lovers Moon, Slick Black, Murray’s, and Sweet Georgia Brown. In addition to those pomades, I read that Elvis used Vaseline tonic. With the way Elvis' life was, I tend to doubt that he stuck to one pomade. He likely tried a variety of them, which is what I read about him in the past. He didn't stick to one pomade. In photos of him from his early days, he looks like he's using either Royal Crown hair dressing or Dixie Peach type of pomade. It's definitely not Black and White. I use Black and White and you don't get the REALLY wet look that Elvis frequently had ni his early days. Black and White is kind of waxy.

Here's an article that talks about Elvis using Royal Crown: http://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/destinations/usa/71017925/a-night-at-elvis-presleys-apartment-in-memphis

Dixie Peach was a lot like Royal Crown pomade. I tried googling the ingredients for Lover's Moon and Slick Black to find the ingredients for those pomades, but couldn't find anything.

I wish I could interview Elvis' bodyguard Red West to ask him questions for Badger and Blade about pomades and what it was like to work with Elvis all those years. It would be neat to interview Red before he passes on. Celebrity interviews would be a great addition to the site. George Clooney is said to have liked Murray's Superior. Looking at some of his old photos from 15 years ago, I think he was definitely using Murray's in the past. Whether he still is now is debatable.

View attachment 692878

Hi Brindle,

The King [Elvis] was said to have used the following pomades: Black & White, Royal Crown, Dixie Peach, Lovers Moon, Slick Black, Murray’s, and Sweet Georgia Brown. In addition to those pomades, I read that Elvis used Vaseline tonic. With the way Elvis' life was, I tend to doubt that he stuck to one pomade. He likely tried a variety of them, which is what I read about him in the past. He didn't stick to one pomade. In photos of him from his early days, he looks like he's using either Royal Crown hair dressing or Dixie Peach type of pomade. It's definitely not Black and White. I use Black and White and you don't get the REALLY wet look that Elvis frequently had ni his early days. Black and White is kind of waxy.

Here's an article that talks about Elvis using Royal Crown: http://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/destinations/usa/71017925/a-night-at-elvis-presleys-apartment-in-memphis

Dixie Peach was a lot like Royal Crown pomade. I tried googling the ingredients for Lover's Moon and Slick Black to find the ingredients for those pomades, but couldn't find anything.

I wish I could interview Elvis' bodyguard Red West to ask him questions for Badger and Blade about pomades and what it was like to work with Elvis all those years. It would be neat to interview Red before he passes on. Celebrity interviews would be a great addition to the site. George Clooney is said to have liked Murray's Superior. Looking at some of his old photos from 15 years ago, I think he was definitely using Murray's in the past. Whether he still is now is debatable.
Ill have ro defer to your knowledge. You definitely seem to know more then me on the subject. I guess I should have stated in my earlier post that I got that info from my grandfather. When I was younger I always searched for that "wet" "greased" back look but could never really achieve it. I didn't have badger and blade back then. [emoji3]. Now I'm old and my hair is not as thick so I'm not sure what it would look like.

~ When in doubt...Post it in
Badger&Blade ~

I'm not an Elvis expert by any means. I'm more into James Dean. He had perfect hair. I still have no idea what he used. In his last movie 'Giant' in 1955, it looks like he's using a wax pomade like Sweet Georgia Brown Blue, but not much of it.

Maybe you should go with a medium pomade for your hair like Murray's Small Batch 50-50. I really like this stuff. It works for for thin or thick hair, as does Murray's Superior, Dax and Sweet Georgia Brown Blue.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
proxy.php

Just ordered some of this. With oil. Really can't wait to give it a try. I've used a few D.R. Harris products in the past and they were PDG.

I also picked up some Layrite pomade. Good stuff IMO. Washes out easily and holds my hair just fine. I like to put it in with damn or just wet hair.

proxy.php

Top Bottom