What's new

Incoming projects

Got a couple of nice handles coming in and thought I'd share:

Pro-Phy-Lac-Tic Beehive
$il_fullxfull.1042176850_q2o2.jpg

Vulfix with 20mm Ace Shaving Best Badger.
$il_fullxfull.1088733149_mouv.jpg

Dave from VintageBlade on Etsy was nice enough to let me use his photos which I appreciate because I take crappy photos.

I'm excited to get these. My last few projects haven't turned out as well as I'd hoped. I'm experimenting with knots and lofts and just haven't been able to find that magic combination. I think having some more handles and knots to fool with will help. I'm learning that it's not as easy as taking the old knot out and putting a new one in. At least for me. I'm probably over-thinking things. I tend to do that. But the process is fun and I'm leaning every day. Anyway, hope you enjoy the photos. :001_smile

Looking forward to seeing pics of the finished brushes. For my brushes, silvertips & synths get a loft of twice the diameter, I tend to set knots with a lot of backbone (ie finest) 2-4mm higher. HTH but by all means have fun experimenting until you find your perfect match!

The beehive handle looks amazing. As for the loft I seem to set mine at 50mm mostly, I like the scrub.

Thanks fellas. All the info. helps. I'm shooting for 46-50mm. As a face latherer I like the control that loft gives me. I just looked at my handles and I seem to have a butterscotch theme going. Here's my current project. That's the old knot.

$P8160002.jpg

A Made Rite 64. I have an Ace Shaving 19mm finest for it, but I'm waiting to see if I can widen it out enough for a 20mm Virginia Sheng silvertip. The Ace Shaving Finest is a nice knot. Good backbone with a scritch equivalent of a Simpson Best. At 19mm though, the bulb shape is a little pointy if you try and sink it to a lower loft. I'm a sucker for butterscotch handles. :001_smile

A Made Rite 64. I have an Ace Shaving 19mm finest for it, but I'm waiting to see if I can widen it out enough for a 20mm Virginia Sheng silvertip. The Ace Shaving Finest is a nice knot. Good backbone with a scritch equivalent of a Simpson Best. At 19mm though, the bulb shape is a little pointy if you try and sink it to a lower loft. I'm a sucker for butterscotch handles. :001_smile
The VS silvertip in the 20mm size is one of my favorite knots; very soft but with plenty of backbone for face lathering when set at about 45 to 48mm. With a little care and patience, you should be able to open up the Made Rite 64 to accommodate it. I also dig the butterscotch, and that's a really nice one, for sure. After photos, please.

After photos for sure Spang. Pre and post bloom. I'm still waiting on the 20mm VS silvertip. In the meantime I got a 20mm Ace Shaving Best. I widened the hole to accommodate that so I should be pretty close for the VS silvertip. The Ace Shaving Best is a nice knot. A touch less backbone than the Ace Finest (and I mean just a touch), but softer tips. That one may wind up in the beehive handle in the photos at the top.

Top Bottom