What's new

Complete Newbie

Hello all you fine gentlemen out there. Hope you are all having a wonderful day today. I am looking to get my first dslr soon, and I'm stuck. I came into it thinking that I could find a cheap one on ebay, but every auction I've bid on skyrockets the price. I'm looking to spend as little money as possible, and get something that will take better pictures than my Canon point and shoot right now. The only reason I want to get one is to monkey around with more manual settings than I have right now. So the question is, do I go new, or used?

It really depends on how quickly you want it.

If you're in a hurry to purchase, then go new.

With mine, I picked up slightly older model (Nikon D3100) that had taken a total of 6 pictures from an eBay seller. It still had the original packaging, booklets, and warranty information, and saved enough to purchase a reasonable telephoto lens and still come in under the price of a new body.

There are bargains out there if you're patient enough.

I can't help on which "religion" (aka brand) you should choose, but if you can get a used DSLR in good condition, I can't see a reason against a used one.

A thing to have an eye on if you choose an used camera, is the shutter count. The camera might look good on the outside, but if you have a very high shutter count, the deal might not be as good as first expected.
I've seen a professional photographer advertising a camera for sale, and he gave the shutter count which I think was in the region of 80-90,000, and that is worth taking into account when the price is determined - not that it wouldn't be good buy, it all depends on how much you plan to use it.
I don't know the different brands/models shutter life, but according to Sony my Alpha77 should last for at least 150,000 cycles, and of course that doesn't mean it won't take more (or less :001_smile ).

Andy, how much did you spend on the ebay camera? I have been searching and all the cameras i watch just skyrocket in price after 2 or 3 days.

It really depends on how quickly you want it.

If you're in a hurry to purchase, then go new.

With mine, I picked up slightly older model (Nikon D3100) that had taken a total of 6 pictures from an eBay seller. It still had the original packaging, booklets, and warranty information, and saved enough to purchase a reasonable telephoto lens and still come in under the price of a new body.

There are bargains out there if you're patient enough.

Luckily, buying new a DSLR is usually pretty cheap in places like Walmart or Best Buy. I watch Best Buy closely quite a bit, because they have so many sporadic sales, and if you bug them, they never mind selling floor models.

Andy, how much did you spend on the ebay camera? I have been searching and all the cameras i watch just skyrocket in price after 2 or 3 days.

From memory I paid around AU$250for the Nikon D3100 and Nikkor 18-55 lens, and then AU$150 for a (new) Sigma 70-300 telephoto lens.
All up around $400 for everything, making it far less than a brand new "twin lens" bundle.

It might be older, but it takes good photos:

proxy.php

When looking on eBay, make sure that you have it sorted by newly listed. That way if something pops up that is a great price and BIN is available, you can get the jump on it.

I bought my current camera (Olympus Pen E-PL1) used from KEH. I've bought a bunch of used cameras from them over the years and if I were in the market for a used DSLR, that would be my first and probably only stop.

Sony A58 is probably cheapest in all territories, and mirrorless (which I've fallen for big time!) A5000 hit the budget mark. If you want second hand, try a store. May give a limited warranty that could be a life saver.

Look at the Canon Rebel line (or Nikon equivalent.) Good entry level DSLR that can be had for a good price. There are a host of mirrorless options too that you may end up liking better. They tend to be smaller.

Like ZJ68 said, KEH is a great spot to buy used camera equipment. I've never bought digital gear from them, but all of the film gear I've bought has been in amazing condition.

Might want to look at the used section at B&H. They have some good deals and rate the quality of the item as well. I have bought a fair amount of stuff from them and they have always treated me right.

Sam's Club or Costco probably have some decent prices on new ones. I also know NOTHING but have often thought about grabbing one and trying to start learning.

if you are unsure if you even want to get into photography, go to adorama or B&H photo and select an older used camera. an old D80 or D90 is sub a hundred bucks and will give you good bang for the buck for daytime shooting. one thing to know about Nikon though, they diverged some time ago on the camera bodies. some have the AF motor in the camera some not, so choose lenses that have the motor on board, they will be compatible with all nikons.. if you KNOW you are getting into it, still use BH or Adorama and get a used body in fact, unless you NEED a feature on a new body, used is always going to be the way to go. if you want to compare models you can use http://snapsort.com/compare
Whatever you choose good luck and welcome aboard

Sam's Club or Costco probably have some decent prices on new ones. I also know NOTHING but have often thought about grabbing one and trying to start learning.
Sam's Club has horrible pricing on dSLR cameras that I've always seen. Adorama is what I personally like (never bought from B&H) along with LOVE Adorama Pix photo printing. I would not recommend Sam's. Always a few hundred $$$ over anywhere else when I look.

Sam's Club has horrible pricing on dSLR cameras that I've always seen. Adorama is what I personally like (never bought from B&H) along with LOVE Adorama Pix photo printing. I would not recommend Sam's. Always a few hundred $$$ over anywhere else when I look.

You're probably right, and I admit I don't know much, but I did do just a quick check though on the first model that popped up for DSLR at Sam's Club...If I were to get a camera it's probably be something like this, around this level, maybe a step down from here.

Canon EOS Rebel T6i

Sams Club: $899.00 for camera, 2 lenses (18-55mm and 55-250mm), 32GB card, and bag.

Adorama: $749 for camera, 1 lens, bag, 16GB card, filters, cleaning kit, touchscreen protector, and some software

B&H: $749 for camera, 1 lens, 32GB card, and bag

I don't know how much all those accessories are worth, but that 2nd lens on the Sam's one probably isn't super cheap alone, right? Might still be a good deal depending on what one needs. I dunno.

You're probably right, and I admit I don't know much, but I did do just a quick check though on the first model that popped up for DSLR at Sam's Club...If I were to get a camera it's probably be something like this, around this level, maybe a step down from here.

Canon EOS Rebel T6i

Sams Club: $899.00 for camera, 2 lenses (18-55mm and 55-250mm), 32GB card, and bag.

Adorama: $749 for camera, 1 lens, bag, 16GB card, filters, cleaning kit, touchscreen protector, and some software

B&H: $749 for camera, 1 lens, 32GB card, and bag

I don't know how much all those accessories are worth, but that 2nd lens on the Sam's one probably isn't super cheap alone, right? Might still be a good deal depending on what one needs. I dunno.

Actually the kit lenses are pretty cheap. If you are just getting into photography, I would recommend something like this set-up to start with.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/801461343-USE/canon_4462b001_eos_rebel_t2i_digital.html
http://https://www.bhphotovideo.com.../canon_2562a002_ef_28_135mm_f_3_5_5_6_is.html
That's a rebel T2I body in the first link. 18mp CMOS sensor, 1080 video, 3 inch lcd, and advanced live view. Second link is a 28-135mm AF lens. With the 1.6 crop factor of the Rebel it will be the equivalent of 44.8-216mm. This should be adequate for most things you are going to need starting out. That combo can be had for about $460. Then you can add the bag of your choice and whatever acessories you choose. I would recommend a decent tripod, and a circular polarizing filter.

You can get a decent kit from craigslist, many phototogs upgrade when new models roll out. Better to buy in person then auction site if you ask me. Get a kit that you do not out grow in 12 months, I would look for a body that is capable to use older glass without internal electrical servos, 100% view finder, and hopefully a full format sensor.

IMHO..

Used from Adorama is hard to beat..
And as The Chap said, mirrorless cameras are great. I like the new Fuji X-T10 but it's pricey +/- $1000 USD...it has all the controls of my old 35mm Nikons with a terrific reduction in weight and all the MODCONS of electronics...

I bought my current camera (Olympus Pen E-PL1) used from KEH. I've bought a bunch of used cameras from them over the years and if I were in the market for a used DSLR, that would be my first and probably only stop.

I concur. I'm a professional photographer and it's hard to beat KEH. if you are doing product photography 6Mp and up will suit you fine. If you have constant lighting nearly any body that has manual settings will work. The lens is more critical for the closeup type of shooting.

B&H used department and/or KEH.com are very good resources to buy used equipment.

Both companies tend to grade the used equipment on the low side so what they say is good quality is closer to excellent quality.

Top Bottom