What's new

Choosing Web Hosting

I've been thinking of getting my own site for my Feather, Tosuke, and Iwasaki sales. There are so many options out there. If any of you could give me some recommendations, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

My recommendation would be to steer clear of IX Web Hosting.

I used them for my webhosting needs a while back, and I was unimpressed. They can offer you lots and lots and lots of space and bandwidth (supposedly), but they're all subpar. The sites run slow (not unbearably slow, but noticably slow), and their servers don't support current technologies (last time I checked they were still using PHP4 and ASP.NET 1.1, and that was a couple weeks ago).

Eventually I realized that I don't have a large userbase, so it was foolish for me to pay someone else to host it. So I set up one of my spare PCs to run Windows Server 2003 with all the latest and greatest.

I'm pretty happy with Bluehost. Granted I've gotten lazy and havn't done anything with my site, but their setup is simple, they make it very easy to add anything (script wise or other) to your site, they include a bunch of google, yahoo and other advertizing credits so you can start pimping your site.

Comes with things like shopping carts and other e-commerce niceties.

http://www.bluehost.com/

I'm pretty happy with Bluehost. Granted I've gotten lazy and havn't done anything with my site, but their setup is simple, they make it very easy to add anything (script wise or other) to your site, they include a bunch of google, yahoo and other advertizing credits so you can start pimping your site.

Comes with things like shopping carts and other e-commerce niceties.

http://www.bluehost.com/

I was thinking about using them. They seem to have what I want.

There are two ways to go about this.

The first method is to go cheap. The options are usually a new "up-and-coming" host that offers great introductory packages. These start out great. The server is fast, the support time is quick, etc... This lasts for about a year. Then the owner, who is usually the only employee gets burnt out. The support goes down the tube, server response times suffer, your site goes off-line often. You'll finally get fed up and have to move. The other method is to choose a large place with crazy good deals. You know, 4 million gigs of storage, unlimited bandwidth, and free back massages all for $6.99/month. Don't be fooled. These servers are massivly over-sold. Response times are horrible and support will be almost non-existant.

The other option is to pay what it's worth. Large or small hosts, it doesn't matter. Computer equipment and bandwidth costs money. Throw basically unlimited support on top and you should expect to pay something for it.

Go cheap for an ecommerce site and you'll be in for a headache...actually many headaches. Pay for what it's worth and you'll never have to think about your host. Believe me, you have better things to do.

After giving up on a cheapy where customer service completely disappeared, I went with godaddy, and I have zero complaints.

That's why I started this thread. I saw all these cheapo hosts and I wanted to know if they were really too good to be true. I don't make much of a profit with my sales but if I'm going to open up a site, I might as well go for quality. I'm glad I didn't go for a shortcut.

I can vouch for JaguarPC as well. I had a VPS there for quite a while until I moved up to a dedicated at a different company. Support was great, hardware snappy, super-low ping times, uptime near-perfect.

And as perry said, webhostingtalk.com is the center of the web hosting world. It's where all the pros hang out.

I've been thinking of getting my own site for my Feather, Tosuke, and Iwasaki sales. There are so many options out there. If any of you could give me some recommendations, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

I have used 1&1 for the past couple of years. I have no complaint with them, they do what they say they will do. They have quite a few options to set up your account for what you need. Their prices seem to be pretty good, too.

Tim

Thank for the suggestions. I don't know if I'm going to go through with the site but at least I've gotten some direction if I do.

There are two ways to go about this.

The first method is to go cheap. The options are usually a new "up-and-coming" host that offers great introductory packages. These start out great. The server is fast, the support time is quick, etc... This lasts for about a year. Then the owner, who is usually the only employee gets burnt out. The support goes down the tube, server response times suffer, your site goes off-line often. You'll finally get fed up and have to move. The other method is to choose a large place with crazy good deals. You know, 4 million gigs of storage, unlimited bandwidth, and free back massages all for $6.99/month. Don't be fooled. These servers are massivly over-sold. Response times are horrible and support will be almost non-existant.

The other option is to pay what it's worth. Large or small hosts, it doesn't matter. Computer equipment and bandwidth costs money. Throw basically unlimited support on top and you should expect to pay something for it.

Go cheap for an ecommerce site and you'll be in for a headache...actually many headaches. Pay for what it's worth and you'll never have to think about your host. Believe me, you have better things to do.
That saved me from having to type my usual rant.

B&B was moved numerous times before we settled here (and have been here for the past year and a half or so, far longer than with any other host).

Liquidweb.com manages our server. If you go to their page, you'll notice they actually have a toll free number. If you call that number, even in the middle of the night, you'll get pretty darned good technical support. I've never used their shared hosting (which is what you'll likely want), so I can't speak to that exactly, but I recently helped a friend set up a shared hosting account with them, and it looks like his webpage and email are both running great. On top of that, if you look at their pricing structure, it's reasonable, and they don't oversell their resources.

-Nick

Top Bottom