What's new

Coleman Stove Restoration

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
That is a great clean-up job. I didn't know they had a date stamp on them...got me to pull out the old 413G that Dad bought when I was a kid. Mine says 2 6 7 on the fuel tank tabs. Guess that's Feb. of '67.

Thank you very much for the link that has the restore info. on it. I don't think my tank needs much but the case has a small bit of rust on it, and the burners, manifold, and drip tray need some clean-up. I may pick up some silver hi-temp spray paint and see what I can do to it. It still works like a Champ!

$IMG_0002.jpg

$IMG_0010.jpg

Found a squatter in there...don't have a clue how long that wasp has been in there. :biggrin1:

$IMG_0004.jpg

That's a cool stove, Mike. Glad that you were able to date it. God luck if you do choose to do some painting. If you want to remove the grill, the tabs that secure it are just U-shaped steel with ears that expand when pushed through. Squeeze them with needle nosed pliers and push up and they will release.

Wow looks awesome, great job. My dad had one of these as well, now I have to go look and see if he still has it.

[MENTION=79907]BSAGuy[/MENTION].
Thanks for the memories.. We had one of those when I was a kid (14 in 1964) and I remember filling it, pumping it and cooking on it when we went on family camping trips.. One year we went from Arizona to Montana and camped in almost every National Park along the way. I especially remember Yellowstone and Glacier...

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I can't believe that's the same stove. Great job.

I inherited my parents' Coleman stove ... lots of great "camping as a kid" memories there for sure ... and I hope one day to do a similar (if not as good) restoration.

:thumbup1:

When I was young, my father told me, "Son, one day this all will be yours."

proxy.php

I had a single-burner WWII paratrooper stove back in the day. I cleaned it up with sandpaper and replaced the leather pump gasket...with th one in the included field repair kit...and it worked great! I sold it along with the rest of my one-man gear when I started a family. Wish I hadn't...

Plenty available on eBay. Search for "Coleman stove," "Coleman 413," "Coleman 425." Some sellers have high prices, but it is easy to find a stove in very good shape for $60-$80 including shipping. New ones are $120 in stores.

I need to find one and do what you did. Restore it.

Most of mine have been flea market finds and set me back 20 bucks or less. I have bought a lot of stoves and lanterns that look nearly new, yet are decades old.

From what I see, very few people use liquid fuel anymore...I camp lot. I went on 7 trips this year. I did not see another Coleman liquid fuel user....neither stove nor lantern. As a matter if fact, I can't recall the last time I saw one.

Had to go out to check my date code D70, thanks for the info. I used mine a few weeks ago during hurricane Mathew, I have a cast iron griddle top that fits in the closed case which is perfect for pancake and eggs.

Top Bottom