What's new

October Mess Hall Group Cookout - Theme: Iron Chef

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I don't know that I'd want my hand to be forced in this particular challenge..... but try cooking up some bacon till it's nice and crispy. Now take some of that bacon grease and fry up some sliced onion until soft and slightly caramelized. Set the onion aside. Now take some calfs liver... salt and pepper it and dredge in some flour. Fry it in that pan until it's golden brown, turn it over brown that side. Now serve it with with the onions and crispy crumbled bacon. That's some pretty good eating right there. :001_smile

Don't forget to soak the liver in milk for a few hours before cooking. This is said to help remove the bitter taste from the meat.

Sorry I no list of ingredients from me. Just roll with what you guys can get and I'll fit in the best I can.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Let's make the list so we can get the ingredients we need and think about what to do with them ahead of the cookout. :chef:

I agree. I think we have enough ingredients to do a random pick. Next step is to compile and post the complete list of ingredients.

We'll let Jim [MENTION=5413]langod[/MENTION] do it. :laugh: OH JIM where art thou?

I agree. I think we have enough ingredients to do a random pick. Next step is to compile and post the complete list of ingredients.

We'll let Jim @langod do it. :laugh: OH JIM where art thou?

Sorry -- been on vacation for a week. Was nice -- went to VA, MD and Long Island to see friends and relatives. Lot of driving though.
I'll be making a post in the pepper heads thread soon too... (found a great hot sauce emporium.)

Do you want me to come up with the list of ingredients based on people's input? I can probably find a way to randomize the list.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Sorry -- been on vacation for a week. Was nice -- went to VA, MD and Long Island to see friends and relatives. Lot of driving though.
I'll be making a post in the pepper heads thread soon too... (found a great hot sauce emporium.)

Do you want me to come up with the list of ingredients based on people's input? I can probably find a way to randomize the list.

Yes, Thank you Jim.

Here's the list so far in alphabetical order with duplicates removed.

Apple
avocado
Bacon
Basil
beer
Brown, green or French lentils, not red/orange
Brussel Sprouts
Calf's Liver
Carrots
Cheese
Chicken
chili pepper
Chocolate
Corn
Cornmeal
cranberries
Cream
Fire (I take this to mean a grill, smoker, campfire, torch, or similar use of an actual flame must be involved. Your normal gas stove/cooktop doesn't count.)
Fish
Garlic powder
Greek Yogurt
Ham
Jalapenos
Meat
Peanuts
pork fat
Prosciutto
Pumpkin
Shrimp
Squash
Tofu

I left out Mike's "Salt and Pepper" suggestion because I would hope that those are both being used no matter what.... ;)

Since Aaron "put me in charge", I'm making some rulz just for fun and to make sure we get the final list in a timely manner before the cookout.

- If anyone wants to add additional ingredients, go for it -- but they must be submitted in 5 ingredient groups.

- There was mention of chicken livers, but it was never submitted as part of a list. If you want it, make a list.

- Please submit any further ingredient lists before 12:00am eastern daylight time, Tuesday, October 4 (that would be midnight tonight, folks.)

- I will take the list, randomize it and post the five winning ingredients no later than Tuesday Noon (eastern).

Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Here's the list so far in alphabetical order with duplicates removed.

Apple
avocado
Bacon
Basil
beer
Brown, green or French lentils, not red/orange
Brussel Sprouts
Calf's Liver
Carrots
Cheese
Chicken
chili pepper
Chocolate
Corn
Cornmeal
cranberries
Cream
Fire (I take this to mean a grill, smoker, campfire, torch, or similar use of an actual flame must be involved. Your normal gas stove/cooktop doesn't count.)
Fish
Garlic powder
Greek Yogurt
Ham
Jalapenos
Meat
Peanuts
pork fat
Prosciutto
Pumpkin
Shrimp
Squash
Tofu

I left out Mike's "Salt and Pepper" suggestion because I would hope that those are both being used no matter what.... ;)

Since Aaron "put me in charge", I'm making some rulz just for fun and to make sure we get the final list in a timely manner before the cookout.

- If anyone wants to add additional ingredients, go for it -- but they must be submitted in 5 ingredient groups.

- There was mention of chicken livers, but it was never submitted as part of a list. If you want it, make a list.

- Please submit any further ingredient lists before 12:00am eastern daylight time, Tuesday, October 4 (that would be midnight tonight, folks.)

- I will take the list, randomize it and post the five winning ingredients no later than Tuesday Noon (eastern).

Looks great Jim...and thanks.

Without further ado, here's The List.

I took the ingredients and put them into Microsoft Excel. Then I had Excel assign a random number to each one and sorted them smallest to largest by the random number. I alternated taking the largest, smallest, 2nd largest, 2nd smallest and 3rd largest.

And the winners are:

Pumpkin
Garlic Powder
Basil
Prosciutto
Apple

I believe we said that you can make as many dishes as you want but at least one dish must contain no less than THREE of the ingredients and another dish should contain at least the two remaining ones.

HAPPY COOKING!

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"

I took the ingredients and put them into Microsoft Excel. Then I had Excel assign a random number to each one and sorted them smallest to largest by the random number. I alternated taking the largest, smallest, 2nd largest, 2nd smallest and 3rd largest.

And the winners are:

Pumpkin
Garlic Powder
Basil
Prosciutto
Apple

I believe we said that you can make as many dishes as you want but at least one dish must contain no less than THREE of the ingredients and another dish should contain at least the two remaining ones.

HAPPY COOKING!

This is going to be a weird pie:blink:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!

And the winners are:

Pumpkin
Garlic Powder
Basil
Prosciutto
Apple

HAPPY COOKING!

That allows for a pumpkin an apple dessert to accompany a nice Italian dish. Hmmm, I might be in.

Top Bottom