What's new

Best Mechanical Pencil

I take a lot of notes and a bit messy so I prefer to use pencil most of the day and reserve the pen for signing documents.

I use to have a Mont Blanc pencil that I had for YEARS but sadly lost it. I have since been looking for its replacement with some success. I do not want to spend more than $30 this time around since as I have gotten older, I seem to lose writing instruments more frequently.

I tried the Pentel Kerry and love it and Pentel Graph Gear 1000 and it is okay. I prefer the classic look of the Kerry. Any other recommendations for the perfect mechanical pencil?

Are you doing mostly printing or cursive? Do you like a weightier pencil or something lighter? Retractable tip a must?

My usual suggestions are the Kuru Toga Roulette & the Rotring RapidPro.

The KT has an auto rotation mechanism that ratchets the lead as you lift the tip, so you wear the lead more or less evenly on all sides. Fantastic for printing, but if you're heavy on the cursive, you won't see much benefit. Metal lower, plastic upper, but well made. Fixed lead sleeve on the Roulette & most of the other KT models, but the more recent Pipe Slide is an upgrade to the base model with a retractable sleeve.

The RapidPro was my solution for a knockaround pencil with a retractable sleeve. Brass construction makes it heftier, but the front knurling gives a good grip. Love using this one, but it always makes me miss the KT mechanism. The RapidPro is in the upper range of your budget, but ebay has listings ~30USD, shipping included

They might not look fancy, but I find lead holders (commonly used by architects, artists, engineers) to be superior to regular mechanical pencils. You can load them up with different kinds of lead, I prefer 2B-4B for regular everyday use. Yes, you need a separate sharpener and eraster. I recommend trying one out in a store. You might like it.

I tried the Pentel Kerry and love it and Pentel Graph Gear 1000 and it is okay. I prefer the classic look of the Kerry. Any other recommendations for the perfect mechanical pencil?

I've been using the same Pentel Kerry for decades. It's still going strong. It still looks good.

When I use a mechanical pencil it has been a Parker 45 Flighter (or other Flighter) over the years. I keep a 45 Flighter ballpoint and mechanical pencil in my planner, along with whatever fountain pen I am carrying that day.

There are some very nice older pencils around too, suggest the Parker 51 pencil and the Parker Vacumatic pencil $Parker.Vacumatic.Senior.1.jpg.jpg

Aloha,

I love my Cross Century pencil. Classic looks, great feel, and lifetime warranty (on mechanical, not for loss.)

Mahalo

I like the Rotring 600 for everyday use. Love my Parker 51, but it is plum and I only use it on rare occasions because it was new old stock when I bought it and I don't want to run the risk of scratching it.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
There are some very nice older pencils around too, suggest the Parker 51 pencil and the Parker Vacumatic pencilView attachment 687730

Great looking pencil. One characteristic of vintage pencils is they use thicker lead compared to most modern ones. If you want thin lead, look to modern; if you want thicker, modern or vintage.

Top Bottom