What's new

Best Mechanical Pencil

There's nothing about the Metro that I particularly love. It was more of a question of "What should my first basic mechanical pencil be?". It seems like everyone has a Metro in their collection, so what is a "must have" for mechanical pencils?

What do you like about the Metro that you want out of a mech pencil? If you're using mostly print or short strokes, I'd still suggest a Kuru Toga starter set or a Pipe Slide, if you like a retractable sleeve.

There's nothing about the Metro that I particularly love. It was more of a question of "What should my first basic mechanical pencil be?". It seems like everyone has a Metro in their collection, so what is a "must have" for mechanical pencils?

I personally don't own a Metro, which is why I asked. They just don't do anything for me.

Wrt mech pencils, it depends on what features you're looking for. Lead size, auto rotation, fixed/retractable/no sleeve, heft, width, grip, clicky/twist/shaker extension. You could get by just fine with a pack of cheap Bics like I used to or dump a ton of cash on the upper end, but having some idea of features would help to narrow thing down.

I like my new Faber-Castell Grip Plus. $15.
$IMG_0047.jpg

While checking out this thread I saw the Staedtler Mars Technico 780. Wow! that looks cool. I like mechanical pencils but the lead always breaks on me, even with .9m leads. I'm going to buy one of these babies.

I plan to use this just for taking notes. Could someone recommend what lead I should buy?

Last edited:
I think for writing notes with the 780 I will try either the 2B lead or 4B lead. I will pick one up Friday. Office Max has them in stock.

$780c.jpg

I think that you will enjoy it, it is so well made that you can plan for it to be around to pass down the family - unless it gets borrowed first by an envious colleague!

When I was in technical college My favourite was the Koh-i-Noor Rapidomatic, for 0.5 mm leads.
It's particularly good for drawing with plastic templates and straightedges.
The biggest drawback is if you drop it on its point, it may bend the tip and then you may as well toss it.
$846e00c873f5def7d4798172cf40d85e.jpg

I think for writing notes with the 780 I will try either the 2B lead or 4B lead. I will pick one up Friday. Office Max has them in stock.

View attachment 690504

If it is not too late I would buy the lead refill pack with HB or 2H leads. The B+ leads could be too soft for general notetaking although perfect for drawing.

Some people buy more that one pencil, the lead refill pack includes a replacement 'end button' in different colors so that you can quickly see which pencil has your preferred lead.$2B2.jpg

Last edited:
If it is not too late I would buy the lead refill pack with HB or 2H leads. The B+ leads could be too soft for general notetaking although perfect for drawing.

Some people buy more that one pencil, the lead refill pack includes a replacement 'end button' in different colors so that you can quickly see which pencil has your preferred lead.View attachment 690741

Thanks for the tip. I already have the pencil. It came with 2H leads which I find to be way too hard. I can just barely see the writing. I'm glad you mentioned the B series may be too soft. I could not decide between the 2B and the 4B. I did end up ordering a pack of 2B. I was afraid the 4B may be too soft.

$P1020318.JPG$P1020319.JPG$P1020320.JPG
Thanks for the tip. I already have the pencil. It came with 2H leads which I find to be way too hard. I can just barely see the writing. I'm glad you mentioned the B series may be too soft. I could not decide between the 2B and the 4B. I did end up ordering a pack of 2B. I was afraid the 4B may be too soft.

I thought that you might like the above comparison based on lead size and the darkness of the written word. It would reasonable to think that if a usable pencil was 0.5 - 0.7mm that 3.2mm would be impossible, and even the 2.0mm in the Staedtler, but this is not the case.

As I said I have on order some 2B leads. Your sample with HB leads is pretty good. Maybe I'll try some HB leads.

Last edited:
I was using a 0.9 mm HB lead in a Pental. My only problem with them is the lead breaks when I try to write fast. That's why I wanted to try the 2 mm lead.
Here is a picture of my 2 Pentals and new Mars pencil with sample writing of each.

$DSCN4364.jpg$DSCN4367.jpg

Now that I have tried 2H, HB, and 2B leads in my Staedtler Mars pencil, I can say for sure that the best one for writing with is HB.
The 2B is not bad but the HB is a little sharper in appearance.

If you like the Mars, then get one or a bunch of Uni Mitsubishi 2mm Mechanical pencils. I have been using them almost exclusively, when I use pencils, for over a year. They have a clutch system so you just advance the lead. I had no issue with the Mars and one is still in my desk but I just keep going for the Uni. No sharpener in the cap but those just get messy. Buy a Staedtler rotary action lead pointer and you are good to go.

I favor retractable mechanical pencils so that you can put them in your pocket without getting poked. My favorite, that I've been using for many years, is teh Alvin Draf-Tec Retrac

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
My favourite is a Pilot Vanishing Point. I can't figure out why they stopped making them. (model H1005)

Top Bottom