What's new

Dr. Jon's V2 soap

Got the new formulation of Dr. Jon's in the mail today. I bought "Savannah Sunrise" and "Anne Bonny". I've used the old formulation of "Savannah Sunrise" before, so I started with that one.

Soap: Much more solid. Also comes in a new screw top tin. I like it. The old formulation was very soft. I thought it best to bloom this one a bit. Not much. Just drizzled a bit of water on top and let it sit for about 5 minutes.

Scent: The scent profile is a little narrower when smelling the soap out of the container. I definitely got a more floral note. The older formulation scent just burst out of the tin. Not a bad thing, just a little different. When lathering the scent becomes full and smells wonderful. Description says," Orange Blossom, Peach, Gardenia, Jasmine and Honeysuckle blend together to make a sweet and floral shaving experience." That about nails it.

Lathering: Used my Stirling "Lil Brudder" 22mm/51mm to face lather. Whipped up a beautiful, thick, cushiony lather. This soap is thirstier than the old formulation. The more water I added the better the lather became. Really top notch.

Slickness/Cushion: Slickness is great. I mean great. I nicked myself because my razor (pre-war Gillette Tech) slipped in my hand. That's a first. Cushion was good. I'll get a better feel for it as I dial it in.

Post shave: Felt fantastic. Hot/humid night here so it was hard to tell if I needed a moisturizing AS. I don't think so though. No dryness or tightness, but given the weather I didn't expect to be able to tell much on that front.

Conclusion: Dr. Jon has made a wonderful new formulation of his soap. I loved the old version, but sometimes the lather I would get would be a bit thin. It seemed to have a narrower "sweet spot" for me. Not so with the new formulation. It's thirstier, but thicker and slicker. I'm very impressed. Would I recommend ? Definite yes. Usually "new formulation" means the maker has cut costs while trying to preserve the character of the old formula. Not so with this one. Dr. Jon upped his game. It really is a "new formulation" that tries to better the old one. And Dr. Jon has definitely achieved his goal.

P.S. As always YMMV. :001_smile

Great review. I agree with everything you said about the original formulation, and am glad to hear the new one is better. I actually hadn't heard there was a new formulation until I read your post, so thanks. I wasn't sure if I was going to get a new tin of Savannah Sunrise due to the reasons you stated (really soft, sometimes a thin lather) but I will definitely give v.2 a try.

Great review! I used to have Hydra and Anne Bonny. I REALLY love the scent of Anne Bonny...I think the black tea in it makes all the difference. I liked the old formulation but unfortunately there were other soaps I liked better. I will have to give the new formulation a try as I really want to like this soap. Thanks for the review.

The new formula is a significant improvement on the original formula while retaining the scent that I love Dr.Jon soap for. The new containers are much easier to load in as well. Great review [MENTION=110885]Kurtis[/MENTION]

I love the old formula. I scoop it out like a cream, though, because it's so soft. Start with a very dry brush and add water gradually, and I get a great lather.

I don't know why there wasn't more talk of the new formulation being launched. I should add that when I said that most new formulations are about cutting costs I was wrong. While I think it may be true for a minority, all the artisans that have made new formulas have tried to improve their products. That statement was kind of bugging me so I thought I'd clear it up.

Not to be a party pooper but I am slightly on the other side...i am currently 3017'ing Hydra and I find it to be a good soap but nothing special. Water management/handling isn't as forgiving as some of the best soaps that I haved used. First-pass lather is stable but second-pass lather is thin unless you go back to the well for another load. However, post-shave skin feel is pretty darn good...the extra fats really help here.

In any case, I am glad that the maker isn't resting on his laurels and is continuing to push for improvement in his products.

Great review! I really like Hydra but couldn't get the lather of my best soaps until...

I love the old formula. I scoop it out like a cream, though, because it's so soft. Start with a very dry brush and add water gradually, and I get a great lather.

...I tried this the last time I used it and it worked great. Uses a lot of soap but he'll make more.

I'm very interested in the new formulation though, I'll definitely pick some up when I use the old one up. Fortunately it's only a 2oz tin, which I'll be sure to use it in a wasteful manner.

Great review! I really like Hydra but couldn't get the lather of my best soaps until...

...I tried this the last time I used it and it worked great. Uses a lot of soap but he'll make more.

I'm very interested in the new formulation though, I'll definitely pick some up when I use the old one up. Fortunately it's only a 2oz tin, which I'll be sure to use it in a wasteful manner.

My experience tallies with this.

Great post shave though,and I like Hydra a lot for its scent.

Used the "Anne Bonny" the last couple of nights. It's Dr. Jon's take on Bay Rum. No orange citrus and cloves here. I get Bay leaves, black tea, and a touch of lime. Also a hint of sweetness from something. Kind of a dark scent, but very enjoyable. Got a great lather and the post shave was equally as great.

I ordered Anne Bonny today the new formula. Jon said it doesn't have the strong clove scent like some others do. Anyone else give a little more input ?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I ordered Anne Bonny today the new formula. Jon said it doesn't have the strong clove scent like some others do. Anyone else give a little more input ?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I get no clove scent at all from Anne Bonny. It's a darker scent. Black tea and bay leaves with a lime citrus note. Kind of sweet. A smooth scent, if that makes sense. Not a typical Bay Rum scent at all. I love it. Dr. Jon really knows how to make totally different scents from other soap makers. Let us know what you think.

I get no clove scent at all from Anne Bonny. It's a darker scent. Black tea and bay leaves with a lime citrus note. Kind of sweet. A smooth scent, if that makes sense. Not a typical Bay Rum scent at all. I love it. Dr. Jon really knows how to make totally different scents from other soap makers. Let us know what you think.

Okay cool. Yeah I'm not a fan of the heavy clove bay rum scents. I was going to order the Gold Label tobacco scent but they were sold out. So I talked to Jon on the phone who was very helpful and cool guy helped me decide on trying Anne Bonny. I look forward to using it!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Does Hydra smell like Sprite?

I don't think so. It's a complex citrus on the brighter side of the spectrum but it doesn't have an overly sweet smell or a cologne like smell. It's a very natural mixed citrus scent. It's a very popular scent for those who like citrus

Hydra is one of my favorite citrus scents. Not sweet at all, crisp and bright is more accurate. If you cut some lemons, grapefruits, and oranges in your kitchen it would smell like Hydra.

Top Bottom