What's new

Looking for whiskey suggestions

Gentlemen, recently I hve grown to absolubtly adore Lagavulin 16 whiskey, and tomorrow I have the oppertunity to visit a very extensive and well stocked speciality whiskey shop.

I am looking to get myself a couple of bottles, or even a couple of smaller sized bottles to bring home, and I was wondering if you could suggest a nice scotch that I would like, knowing that my new tipple of choice is Lagavulin 16yo.

If You adore the 16yo, You will aaddoorree the 12yo 57.8%:tongue_sm

Different but none the worse for that are:

Laphroaigh 1/4 cask is good but not as deep and complex if you like.

Ardbeg 10yo is back in shape and what a shape that is:tongue_sm:w00t::tongue_sm, get some before the new "10yo" arrives.

Bruichladdich 3D. I like it.:lol:

If You are lucky and stumble upon some Port Charlotte.......:001_rolle

If i had to choose..... Arbeg 10 and Laga 12:w00t::w00t:

Enjoy!!
/Magnus

Yes, like mace said, stay with the Islays for now. They have similar characters as the Lagavulin as they are all very peaty and have that characteristic iodine note. Once you are done with those, you can venture around the main land. Ask the sales people in the shop for more pointers, or even samples. Have fun! Best - MM

Lagavulin 16 is my favourite whisky at the minute, but it's only for special occasions. Wonderful, wonderful stuff.

Laphroaig 10 is what I use if I want I similar whisky, without the £40 a bottle cost.

Islay would be the way to go...or you could make an exception for an Island and pick up Talisker 18 or Highland Park 18. 2 fantastic drams, although a bit different than your Laga. I haven't had the Laga 12 but have heard good things. The Laga DE is nice if you want a bit of Sherry influence to the 16. Laphroaig and Ardbeg would be 2 more very good options. Of those distilleries, I would say the Laphroaig CS and Ardbeg Uigeadail. The Laphroaig 15 is a winner as well but won't be around, so maybe pick it up while you can.

A few echoes in here; I second the Talisker and Laphroaig (I have a bottle of the 10 yo cask strength at present -- 115 proof!)

I haven't tried other Islay or Skye malts, but as with you, I'm fairly sure I'd like to try more!

Jesse

I ended up not buying anything as the shop was a lot overpriced. I tried a couple, and the springbank 15 was one of them. I tihnk this will be the next purchase whe I find it at a good deal. The Ardberg 10 and 1990 were also both pretty special.

Thanks for posting this thread... I'm in exactly the same boat as you with the Lagavulin. I think I'm gonna try the Talisker next, just to mix things up and try something recommended yet from a different region.

Thanks for posting this thread... I'm in exactly the same boat as you with the Lagavulin. I think I'm gonna try the Talisker next, just to mix things up and try something recommended yet from a different region.

Are you guys looking for something similar to the Lagavulin or just something that is quite good and has bold flavors (but not similar to) like Lagavulins?

I'm really just mentioning the lagavulin in the sense that it has the bold smokiness which I am really fond of. Both similar whiskeys and those with a bold flavour but a different character are interesting to me, as I am looking to start building up a better spirits cabinet.

I'm really just mentioning the lagavulin in the sense that it has the bold smokiness which I am really fond of. Both similar whiskeys and those with a bold flavour but a different character are interesting to me, as I am looking to start building up a better spirits cabinet.

Okay in terms of similar whiskies, you can only look at stuff from Islay, nothing else in the world is like them. Nothing else has that huge smoky flavor. I'd check out some Laphroaig's, Ardbeg's, and Bruichladdich 3-D.

Are you guys looking for something similar to the Lagavulin or just something that is quite good and has bold flavors (but not similar to) like Lagavulins?

Yes, and yes. :lol:

I know it doesn't really work this way with the water and all, but I'd be more interested in something more similar to the Lagavulin so long as it's from a different "region." Something about paying $75/bottle makes me want to have as many varietals as possible without duplicating.

Of course, I'm pretty much open to anything. I particularly like the Lagavulin because it seems to transition really well from the sweet start to the smoky finish. That and there aren't any strange flavors that are difficult to wrap my tongue around -- in some of these scotch sites people describe aromatic esters, phenols, hospital gauze, iodine, etc... at some point I'm sure I'll figure out what that's all about, but I may need to dip my toe a few times before I can take the full plunge on those.

Yes, and yes. :lol:

I know it doesn't really work this way with the water and all, but I'd be more interested in something more similar to the Lagavulin so long as it's from a different "region." Something about paying $75/bottle makes me want to have as many varietals as possible without duplicating.

Of course, I'm pretty much open to anything. I particularly like the Lagavulin because it seems to transition really well from the sweet start to the smoky finish. That and there aren't any strange flavors that are difficult to wrap my tongue around -- in some of these scotch sites people describe aromatic esters, phenols, hospital gauze, iodine, etc... at some point I'm sure I'll figure out what that's all about, but I may need to dip my toe a few times before I can take the full plunge on those.

Well it wouldn't be from a different region, but I think you would really like the Ardbeg Uigeadail. On Islay there is the Kidalton Trio...Laphroaig, Lagavulin and Ardbeg, which share similiar characteristics. This is why Tim mentioned sticking with Islay if this is what you are looking for. The other distilleries (Bruichladdich, Bunny, Caol Ila and Bowmore) are a bit different. Bruichladdich has the 3D series which is their version of a Peatmonster. BTW...Laphroaig has more of the iodine notes which you are reading about.

If you do want a different region, Talisker 18 and HP 18 are fantastic. (I believe you were lucky enough to get a HP 18 mini with a 12 purchase.)

The Bruichladdich 3D is remarkable. If you can get your holds on the Port Charlotte, from all the reviews I have read, it will absolutely blow your socks off. That's Bruichladdich's Port Charlotte, PC5 and PC6 in the tins.

I also love the Laphroaig Quarter Cask and the Talisker 18 is incredible.

If you do want a different region, Talisker 18 and HP 18 are fantastic. (I believe you were lucky enough to get a HP 18 mini with a 12 purchase.)

And until you said that, I had completely forgotten about it. Crazy thing that you remembered my post from months ago and it hadn't crossed my mind since I tucked it away.

What's it say about me when my forum buddies remember more about my acquisitions and personal affairs than I do? Sheesh. :blink:

Pat since you've already got the HP, I'd get the Talisker, it has a great, really unique peppery character. Excellent stuff.

Top Bottom