What's new

Would you buy this straight razor?

Thank you to EVERYONE for the replies.

I think mostly the problem is it would be abused by ppl trying to skirt the appraisal rule.

Will you please explain what you mean by "skirt the appraisal rule"? I'm not familiar with this.

But as for that razor, I would take a chance on it. Spend a sheet of 1k on it followed by some mothers or maas and hone it

Which Mother's or MAAS polish do you guys use?

. . . the toe looks like it was shortened . . .

I didn't detect this during handling. Will you please explain your conclusion?

I don't like wedges much so I might pass. For less than $20 it'd be a fun project - see what 400 grit does, go to lower grits if it looks like there's potential to make it really clean looking then work up the grits till it's pretty shiny. Make new scales of bone or horn to match the shape of the originals, then hone I it up and enjoy or sell it so someone else can.

This photo gives the appearance that material from the front of the blade was cut down due to damage. I certainly could be wrong just my observation to this photo and the apparent abuse to the spine. You held the razor in your hands so you would have a better point of reference to how the blade sits in the scales and if the top of the spine at the toe is angled and not sheared straight down. I don't want to rain down on your parade, I will leave it at that. Buy whatever motivates you to put it to your face. Good luck in your quest! [emoji106]
proxy.php

~Royce

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I think what should be clear is that for 17.50 you will get a razor that will definitely be useable, and with some work maybe even look good doing it. A flawless specimen? Nope.

I think what should be clear is that for 17.50 you will get a razor that will definitely be useable, and with some work maybe even look good doing it. A flawless specimen? Nope.

This seems to be a very balanced and realistic expectation.

Where is this shop?

If you don't go buy it, I will!!!

Hilarious!

I don't like wedges much so I might pass. For less than $20 it'd be a fun project - see what 400 grit does, go to lower grits if it looks like there's potential to make it really clean looking then work up the grits till it's pretty shiny. Make new scales of bone or horn to match the shape of the originals, then hone I it up and enjoy or sell it so someone else can.

Is there any chance of saving those scales, or are they definitely toast?

To save those scales, I'd de-mount them, perhaps laminate them to a liner (aluminum), sand them down and shine them up. They'd look sweet.

As a comparison I just bought this one - £10. In fact I bid only £10 and didn't expect to win it. I think it should clean up OK. Sharpening might be something else if any of you have seen my thread in the honing section!!!

C

Top Bottom