What's new

So many razors, so many blades.

I rotate between four of my DE razors. I typically don't like to wait until I'm getting cut or having a rough shave to switch out the blades… I typically put in a new blade after every 4 to 5 uses.

If anyone else does the same, do you have a particular system for keeping track of how many times you've used a blade or how long it's been in your DE if you use multiple razors?

I have a spreadsheet on Google Docs that I use to keep track of how many uses I have on a blade and which razors it has been in.

Yes, I am a bit OCD about this shaving thing.

I was thinking maybe there's a way to place my DE in its (toothbrush) holder facing a certain way — north, east, west, south— to indicate how many shaves it's had. I don't foresee it working...

I amassed quite a collection of razors after the RAD bug bit me...

Windrose D-9 Chunky Knurled Handle with Scalloped Safety Bar Head
Windrose SP-4 Polished Chrome Handle with Scalloped Safety Bar Head
Rapira Platinum Lux Razor with Knurled Boctok Handle
Acevivi Dual-Comb 3-Piece Razor
Saiver 6-Piece Russian Travel Razor
Wizamet W-11 Adjustable
Severodonetsk-1 Adjustable
Ideal Adjustable
Weishi 9306CL
Micro Touch One

Due to the hard water in Mallorca, Spain with traces of lead, nitrates and 4x the recommended chlorine levels necessary to combat e-coli in the water system, I spend 30 seconds after every shave keeping my razor pristine, which saves a lot of time and elbow grease in the long run.
I have scrub the razor with hot water, then dry and polish it on a towel and rinse my blade under the cold tap at full pressure before blowing hard to get rid of the water residue.
I then put the clean, dry razor back in the rack and load the blade into a different razor.

Most blades only last for 3 shaves, my best blades only last for 4 shaves
My system, such as it is, is to alternate between TTO and 3-Piece razors - the simplest scoreboard possible

I try to keep only 1 DE and 1 SE blade going at a time, so it's easier to remember. I usually start a blade in a mild razor, move it through more aggressive ones as I go. Once the blade takes to much work to get results I'm happy with I toss it. Most times I do loose an exact count, but usually know pretty close. SE Blades only seem to last me 10 shaves, I've hit the mid 30s on a few DEs.

I rotate 3 to 4 razors during the week. As a general rule I start with a new blade on Sunday. That one blade gets moved from razor to razor until the following Sunday. I found it to hard to keep track of blade usage when I kept all the razors loaded. If for some reason the blade starts tugging before the weekend, I'll grab a Treet black beauty to get me through the next day or two, then reload a better blade on Sunday. Works for me!

No system here. I use a razor and blade until the blade is done and I am ready for a different razor. Totally random.

I don't leave them in my razors. I also only use them 4 times max. It's pretty easy to remember for 4 days. Sometimes I might have a Platinum and a Feather I am working on. It's still pretty easy to remember how many times I have used them.

I see how many it had in my last post in the "What blade did you use today?" thread, then increment that by one.

I rotate my 3-4 razors randomly and leave the blade in-- so it's harder for me to remember which blade was inserted, when.

I have multiple D20 dice that I use to keep track of how many times I have used a particular blade. I'm currently trying out 6 different blades.
$tmp_25775-20160908_211332-1278372150.jpg

Much easier since I cut my razors to one 'daily driver' (with only an occasional use of another razor). Then I typically change blades during the weekend! Took me awhile to get to this place!

Honestly, I'd recommend you just use the blades until they're done. Cuts are not an indication of a bad blade. That's almost certainly just a minor lapse in technique, or just random irregularities in your skin. As blades fall off, they get steadily less sharp and require more passes or strokes to get to a given level of closeness. It won't just suddenly go bad. You'll know it when it's time to change.

I rarely track blade usage, unless I'm going for longevity. Then I track with a 20 sided die (D20), but then I also have a 4 sided die to let me know how many times I've used the D20. My current blade is on shave 65.

I once saw a simple suggestion here. Use a die (singular of dice). If you usually do not go beyond 6 then a conventional die will suffice. Dollar Tree sells those. Some toy and game stores sell 12-sided dice, which if I recall correctly have five edges per facing.

Top Bottom