What's new

Impulse bought Christian Dior Sauvage. Regret

So, in Belks today and smelled it on a card. Was first hit with a blast of fruit and citrus. This is exactly how my GFT starts out and I LOVE GFT....

So, I bought it. After drydown it has a note which I find unpleasant. It's a peppery/ dirty sort of note that lasts far, far longer than the original top notes. In short, I'm unhappy with this EdT, but boy does it last.

Anybody else make any impulse buys they regret?

My losers, in no particular order: Aventus, Yatagan, and Ecre Noir. :bored:

I love Yatagan, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone that hasn't sampled it over a few days. It can be challenging.

I purchased a small decant of Dior Patchouli Imperial and was very disappointed. The scent is light, lasts only a few hours on me, and the patchouli is attenuated. I'm glad I didn't buy a whole bottle. The reviews and top notes seemed promising.

Giorgio for Men

Not that I'm disappointed with the scent, just that there are so few occasions where the scent is appropriate, at least for me. Too much scent for work, too much a powerhouse for casual wear. So I regret having a fragrance that doesn't get used that much.

I've been pretty lucky with blind buys. The only one I wish I hadn't bought is 4711, but that was < $10. It smells nice, but it lasts like ten minutes on me. I completely agree with the OP's assessment of Sauvage.

My bottle of Sauvage just smells woody, no opening notes, no hint of anything else. And it's not unpleasant, but not complex or engaging and lasts well over 12 hours. :/

Yeah, I've been there. I have, for the most part, traded them away. I bought Dior Patchouli Imperial and Eau Noire blind, and they were unwearable.

Giorgio for Men

Not that I'm disappointed with the scent, just that there are so few occasions where the scent is appropriate, at least for me. Too much scent for work, too much a powerhouse for casual wear. So I regret having a fragrance that doesn't get used that much.

Giorgio for Men has been on my list of things I might buy on a whim for a while. I almost exclusively wear powerhouse fragrances. Your comment moved it up a little bit.

So, in Belks today and smelled it on a card. Was first hit with a blast of fruit and citrus. This is exactly how my GFT starts out and I LOVE GFT....

So, I bought it. After drydown it has a note which I find unpleasant. It's a peppery/ dirty sort of note that lasts far, far longer than the original top notes. In short, I'm unhappy with this EdT, but boy does it last.

Anybody else make any impulse buys they regret?

I didn't buy Sauvage, but I sampled it at Ulta. My reaction was similar, the opening was was fine, but by the time I got to my car I couldn't stand it. I tried to wash it off when I got home. Then the next day it lingered even after I showered. It really does last. Make sure you like it before buying.

Luckily I avoided the mistake with Givenchy Pour Homme, but not with Bvlgari Aqua. However, impulse buying od Moschino Uomo? turned out to be a great decision. I have to say that I liked Christian Dior Eau Sauvage Extreme very much, though.

Yeah, a member here contacted me and I traded for Chanel Egoiste....which I understand is also polarizing. Maybe I'll have better luck this time.

Regarding impulse buys/blind buys, I've done a lot of it, but I (1) first read up on the fragrance, and (2) limit myself to inexpensive fragrances. I haven't been disappointed yet, but even if I were, I wouldn't be out a bunch of money, and I'd get over it quick.

Yeah, a member here contacted me and I traded for Chanel Egoiste....which I understand is also polarizing. Maybe I'll have better luck this time.

I hope you like it! I was kind of neutral on it, but tangerine, rose, spice, & woods is far outside of my usual tastes.

Regarding impulse buys/blind buys, I've done a lot of it, but I (1) first read up on the fragrance, and (2) limit myself to inexpensive fragrances. I haven't been disappointed yet, but even if I were, I wouldn't be out a bunch of money, and I'd get over it quick.
+1. There is a blogger that seems to like the same kinds of scents that I do. I generally only blind buy things he rates highly, and I haven't been disappointed yet.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Got a few BBs in the wardrobe with only three stars, mostly longevity. I keep BBs around $20... One exception: Miyake pour homme was one well-regarded mistake though; just don't like aquatics. Still worth having!

AA

I regret buying a lot of the cheaper frags right off the bat. I would have rather gone out and spent the money on Creed or Tom Ford so I can get good longevity without having to reapply 2 or 3 times a day making my projection bounce all over the place all day. I have some people comment after lunch that they can tell I reapplied. I want my fragrances to smell like they are a part of me and not synthetic.

i agree with sauvage. I now have over 50 scents in my collection and took a chance on sauvage and am not a fan at all. Just has a very generic scent to me and i doubt ill ever wear it considering i have so many other great scents. Now the other scent i took a chance on in the same order was CH Man Prive and wow that scent is incredible and in my top 5.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
You're braver than I. I have had some unpleasant experiences with samples of frags that a lot of people really love. One refused to wash off and I almost took a belt sander to my wrist.

Top Bottom