What's new

SRD Ralf Aust

If anyone is looking for a deal, head over to straight razor designs, I just came across a Ralf Aust 6/8 Spanish point, in black African wood for $153, so I tacked on an alum block and silicon sleeve and priority 1-2 day shipping and it was $185 after taxes. I looked for coupon codes, and couldn't find any, but who needs them with those type of prices. I will certainly post pictures when it comes in. Any requests? :thumbup::thumbup:

It was a hard thought decision, and I did a ton of research. I work the night shift at the hospital, so I've been coined Dexter by my peers because everyone that walks past my computer screen invariably sees me drooling over SRs. I had finally decided to pick between TI, RA, and a fairly new company that few have mentioned by aptly named "Portland Razor Company". They seemed to have really good reviews, make good products, and have very competitive prices from what I have seen for their razors. They also have a very unique line of all natural A/S and soap. I'll end up purchasing from them in the future for sure. I had narrowed it down to RA and PRC after not being able to find a TI that I couldn't live without, along with the only decent priced ones, IMO, were coming from company's that would not have shipped them shave ready. I'll end up with a TI eventually, but for now, I passed. Then I went to the PRC website and SRD website and put the things in my carts to see the final prices. It ended up being within $5 of each other, so the deciding factor ended up being that PRC is make to order products, so I would have to wait 3-4 weeks, where as SRD had their products on hand and I would have them for my special date this weekend. I will also probably end up with a PRC razor at some point just to try them.

Thought I would share this with everyone, not sure if anyone cares, or if Ralf Aust is only that dollar amount in worth. But I'm happy with it, it seemed to get great reviews and I wasn't wanting to spend a bundle, plus everyone seems to really like his work. SRD hones and shave ready sharpens for you (or at least they claim it), we'll know when it comes in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ralf Aust is probably the best production razor made today and SRD is a fine vendor with whom to do business.
I have 3 RA blades (including one very much like yours) and they have been flawless. Good choice.
$image.jpg
$image.jpg
$image.jpg

Just picked up my custom Ralf Aust I ordered through SRD, it took awhile but it was worth it. I know they sell a basic Aust which is 5/8 round point, no jimps. I ordered a 6/8 american point (square point), with jimps and I'm very happy with it, the price was only about 20 bucks more than their basic model. Don over at SRD was a nice guy to deal with. I could have ordered directly from Ralf Aust but I figured that it wouldn't be shave ready, so I found out from Don that you can basically order any razor on their website through SRD for basically the same price. I know Ralf Aust is usually suggested a lot for a newbie who wants a modern straight razor, and the price is very reasonable to get started into straight razors.

You must have gotten like a one or two day sell on that one for they are $166 today. So you saved $13 on that razor. That is great to hear. RA razors in my opinion are very well priced even when not on sale and the quality of the shave one of the best. Nice razors for sure and Congrats!

Then I went to the PRC website and SRD website and put the things in my carts to see the final prices. It ended up being within $5 of each other, so the deciding factor ended up being that PRC is make to order products, so I would have to wait 3-4 weeks, where as SRD had their products on hand and I would have them for my special date this weekend. I will also probably end up with a PRC razor at some point just to try them.

I have a few PRC razors and when there was a 3 month wait period! They are well worth the time. I think their 3-4 week turn around is a conservative one and you could possibly have it maybe quicker depending on order influx. Scott and Hunter at PRC are great guys and great to work with......both my razors were semi-custom as far as some slight addition to one blade then scales of a more exotic nature. Hard to beat $160 for a US handmade razor that is built like a to last battleship! Their edges are the most uniform I have ever seen as well. You will be happy when you purchase from them I assure you.

Alright everyone, the time has come!! Here's the SR good stuff. I know that two of the pictures are duplicates, the ones of the razor by itself in the stand, one with the flash on and the other without. I chose to keep/post them both because the flash showed the texture and VERY subtle (a little too subtle) accents of blood red in the black african woodgrain of the scale. And the one without the flash just knife of makes it look cleaner because its not reflecting all of the tiny particles stuck to the oil surface. But without any more talking, I know why you're here, lol. Here you go. Feel free to comment or ask questions or PM me with anything. You can also find these and a few more posted on my profile if you want to revisit the pictures for comparisons of any kind.
$RA1.jpg$RA2.jpg$RA4.jpg$RA6.jpg$RA7.jpg

[MENTION=41024]Acmemfg[/MENTION] - Like the pics? I seriously enjoyed yours, it helped pump me up even more for my order. Thanks for sharing. @justino_14 - How did your RA turn out? Was it all that you expected? How did it shave? Any pics? @AsTheBrushTurns - Check out the pics, it came in. And while its absolutely a fantastic razor, I would still like to order a PRC straight as well to have a nice little set for my choosing. Any suggestions on which one? Which two styles did you choose from PRC? Have any pictures?

Last edited:
Nice looking blades Wiwicks.You made some fine choices. I am in the midst of having some work done by Jerry Stark right now. He is one excellent bladesmith and his razor I think is one that most every straight razor afficianado should own at least one. You are gonna love your RA blades. Now there are so many other excellent products to explore; have fun.

$image.jpg

@Acmemfg - Like the pics? I seriously enjoyed yours, it helped pump me up even more for my order. Thanks for sharing. @justino_14 - How did your RA turn out? Was it all that you expected? How did it shave? Any pics? @AsTheBrushTurns - Check out the pics, it came in. And while its absolutely a fantastic razor, I would still like to order a PRC straight as well to have a nice little set for my choosing. Any suggestions on which one? Which two styles did you choose from PRC? Have any pictures?

Hello Wiwicks! Nice razor you have there! Yes I do have some pics. of my PRC's. My first was a semi-custom in the fact I wanted alternative scales and extended jimps along the top. It was the "Kraken" model with buffalo horn scales. The second was the "Leviathan" with stabilized burl scales and double pinned on the spacer.

Here they are if they upload properly..........

$IMG_6638.jpg$IMG_6641.jpg

Hello Wiwicks! Nice razor you have there! Yes I do have some pics. of my PRC's. My first was a semi-custom in the fact I wanted alternative scales and extended jimps along the top. It was the "Kraken" model with buffalo horn scales. The second was the "Leviathan" with stabilized burl scales and double pinned on the spacer.

View attachment 689603

Wow, those burl scaled really turned out! I like that double-pin action as well. I kind of wish their tangs had more of a curve on the tail end, though.

@justino_14 - How did your RA turn out? Was it all that you expected? How did it shave? Any pics?

It turned out great! Again SRD sells a very basic Aust with a round point, no jimps, 5/8 blade. For a little extra money I got a square point, jimps, and 6/8 blade, and I'm happy how it came out. Can post a pic later. I haven't had a chance to shave with it yet. I really like the look of a 6/8 over a 5/8. A lot of guys shave with 7/8 8/8 blades, so I think 6/8 is a good middle ground although 5/8 is probably the most suggested size.

Last edited:
[MENTION=78763]justino_14[/MENTION] - It may be because I'm still more or less a beginner, but I don't see how the one's who use 8/8's or even 7/8's do it. It seems like a lot to be having to maneuver. I understand those for head shaving or leg shaving, but for faces, that seems excessive. My RA is a 6/8 and its about as big as I would want to go. I also have a vintage 5/8 and I like the size of the 5/8 but think I prefer the weight of the 6/8.
[MENTION=63248]sarimento1[/MENTION] - Awesome! Do you have any facial hair that you keep, or do you take it all off? Did you grab a special soap for the occasion as well? Or brush? TWEET THE DEETS MAN, lol.

I have a couple 7/8 and near 8/8 and they are not as hard to use as I thought it would be. It does have it's benefits as far as being to shave a majority of your face without having to clean off the blade from lather. In saying that, my preference is the 6/8 razor. 5/8 is fine also but the main go to is a 6/8.

Top Bottom